Should i skip my placement year and instead do masters? Watch

pawlos78
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I am currently thinking of skipping my placement year as i find it to be pointless. I am aware that doing a placement year will not only give me an insight to the industry but also will give me work experience which i can then use when applying for a job. However, skipping the placement year will mean that my studies will not be affected as i will not be taking a 1 year break from studies and if i chose to do masters i could graduate at the same time as i would with a bachelorette with a placement year. On top of that, the pay during the placement year is terrible compared to the starting salaries of my degree ( chemical engineering) which means that if apply for a position at a less known company after completing masters, not only will i get more money but also the same work experience which i could then use if i chose to change for a better job.

Am i doing the right thing?
Last edited by pawlos78; 1 year ago
Muttley79
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by pawlos78)
I am currently thinking of skipping my placement year as i find it to be pointless. I am aware that doing a placement year will not only give me an insight to the industry but also will give me work experience which i can then use when applying for a job. However, skipping the placement year will mean that my studies will not be affected as i will not be taking a 1 year break from studies and if i chose to do masters i could graduate at the same time as i would with a bachelorette with a placement year. On top of that, the pay during the placement year is terrible compared to the starting salaries of my degree ( chemical engineering) which means that if apply for a position at a less known company after completing masters, not only will i get more money but also the same work experience which i could then use if i chose to change for a better job.

A placement is more important than a Masters in getting a good job after your degree,
jelly1000
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago

Do you have any other work experience?
pawlos78
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
(Original post by jelly1000)
Do you have any other work experience?
No, as I am currently in 2nd year

(Original post by Muttley79)
A placement is more important than a Masters in getting a good job after your degree,
But isn't a placement essentially a year of work experience, which means that after I finish my degree I can work for a less-known company for a year, get a year of work experience plus a considerably higher salary compared to the salary I would get during placement year and then apply to a better job with my work experience
Muttley79
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
But isn't a placement essentially a year of work experience, which means that after I finish my degree I can work for a less-known company for a year, get a year of work experience plus a considerably higher salary compared to the salary I would get during placement year and then apply to a better job with my work experience
Not really - in a placement year you get relevant experience and get paid. You might even get a job from this placement and often it really helps in your final year project. Don't assume you can walk into a job after a Masters ...and staying just a year won't be looked upon very well by a future employer.
CoolCavy
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I wouldn't - my sibling did a master's and can't find a job because they have no work experience. On a placment if they like you enough they might offer you a permanent position upon graduation and at the very least you get work experience with a real company to put on your CV, it's a way to get your foot in a very heavy door
jelly1000
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Not really - in a placement year you get relevant experience and get paid. You might even get a job from this placement and often it really helps in your final year project. Don't assume you can walk into a job after a Masters ...and staying just a year won't be looked upon very well by a future employer.
No, as I am currently in 2nd year

If you aren't applying for summer placements now you really ought to be doing the placement year. Employers expect graduates to have some work experience already, they don't like having to build people up from scratch.
Muttley79
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by jelly1000)
If you aren't applying for summer placements now you really ought to be doing the placement year. Employers expect graduates to have some work experience already, they don't like having to build people up from scratch.
Why are you replying to me; is this a mistake?
jelly1000
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Why are you replying to me; is this a mistake?
Sorry I'm replying to OP's message to me. She'd quoted you and me so I think thats why I ended up replying to both of you.
Smack
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
It's possible to do this, but I wouldn't assume you can walk into a smaller or less well known company with ease. You may still be competing with candidates with some form of industrial experience for these positions.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Hertfordshire
    All Subjects Undergraduate
    Sat, 22 Feb '20
  • Ravensbourne University London
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 22 Feb '20
  • Sheffield Hallam University
    Get into Teaching in South Yorkshire Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Feb '20

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (363)
66.97%
No (179)
33.03%

Watched Threads