Driving school threatened me with legal action Watch

Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
OK so, yesterday I had a driving lesson with Bubble Driving School, however, I cancelled it on Saturday evening, without giving 48 hour notice, however, I have read that if its in extreme circumstances you don't need to pay, the reason I cancelled was because my uncle died and I've been left with sorting out the funeral. Anyway, on Monday night, the instructor messaged me and told me to pay for the lesson, I rung him up and told him about my uncle and he was rude and unsympathetic. Tonight, I asked Bubble Driving School to get a manager to ring me and he did, many hours later, late at night. The manager was also rude and unsympathetic, he told me that I was a liar saying my uncle died, which I wouldn't do, as I'm not sick, he also told me that he stands by the instructor and not me. I told him that I would pay on the following Monday, as that's the next time I get paid, he then went on to tell me that the instructor would be taking it to court, even if I pay. Now I was angry and argued with the manager, which regrettably I swore at him, at the end of the call, probably shouldn't of done that, but I was angry. One of my relatives have sent a message to them, informing them of my circumstances and that if they took me to court, they would be put in the newspaper.

My question is, what am I going to do now?
siamsam
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Change driving schools - the relationship has broken down to such an extent that you won't feel comfortable continuing with your current instructor. Don't pay for the cancelled lesson
Notoriety
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Who gives a **** if you swore at them? Taking you to court means suing for you monies -- it is not a criminal matter or to do with poor manners.

The court process is simple. They send a claim form off to the court, and then you receive a claim form and will reply to it explaining if you wanna settle, countersue or defend the claim. Go to CAB if you want help responding to a claim form.
That'sGreat
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
OK so, yesterday I had a driving lesson with Bubble Driving School, however, I cancelled it on Saturday evening, without giving 48 hour notice, however, I have read that if its in extreme circumstances you don't need to pay, the reason I cancelled was because my uncle died and I've been left with sorting out the funeral. Anyway, on Monday night, the instructor messaged me and told me to pay for the lesson, I rung him up and told him about my uncle and he was rude and unsympathetic. Tonight, I asked Bubble Driving School to get a manager to ring me and he did, many hours later, late at night. The manager was also rude and unsympathetic, he told me that I was a liar saying my uncle died, which I wouldn't do, as I'm not sick, he also told me that he stands by the instructor and not me. I told him that I would pay on the following Monday, as that's the next time I get paid, he then went on to tell me that the instructor would be taking it to court, even if I pay. Now I was angry and argued with the manager, which regrettably I swore at him, at the end of the call, probably shouldn't of done that, but I was angry. One of my relatives have sent a message to them, informing them of my circumstances and that if they took me to court, they would be put in the newspaper.

My question is, what am I going to do now?
Firstly, it’s a given, you no longer use that driving school. Put the situation in the local paper, emphasising the fact your uncle has died and explaining the instructor and manager were unsympathetic and called you a liar regarding the death of your uncle, making sure to explain how distraught you were. However, do not commit libel by excluding key facts that show you were not completely in the right. Follow this with bad reviews on all the websites that review them.

Then, contact the instructor using text message and make sure to save the messages in case you are taken to court. Try to agree to you paying the instructor if he didn’t take you to court, make sure it is clear he agrees to this in text, and make it explicit without any room for doubt. Then, it should be fine. If this fails and you don’t manage to pay, go to court. Your uncles death is probably not an extreme examples, but you’ll have the texts showing you were willing to pay. Do this now, it is Tuesdy, he won’t take you to court after a day.
siamsam
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Do you really believe that they will take legal action over £27?
Eviebee96
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I already commented on the last thread you posted but the way they are behaving is absolutely ridiculous, you even said you would pay which frankly I don’t think you should have to do and they’re sill trying to threaten you, the only thing they would get out of taking you to court would be what you ‘owe’ them which they could have got anyway. I don’t know what you should do but thank God you’ve named and shamed them they shouldn’t be allowed to stay open treating people like that
siamsam
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I would simply repeat the reason why you cancelled the lesson explaining that due to the bereavement you were in no position to have your driving lesson. Due to the unsympathetic response received from the driving school you no longer wish to continue paying for their services
Anonymous #2
Report 1 month ago
Go to the papers. Once they realised they can be named and shamed they suddenly get apologetic.
Anonymous #2
Report 1 month ago
Also, how will you feel comfortable carrying on with them? I would take this to the papers.
doodle_333
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
tbh don't pay now... normally i would say people deserve paying for their time even if the problem isn't your fault but they are being awful about this, threatening court and getting aggressive over £25 when you were bereaved? contact the local paper and leave reviews everywhere you can
StriderHort
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Playing somewhat nasty devils advocate, i suspect the instructor has taken the hump because you've tried to tell him what counts as an extreme circumstance when I suspect that is up to them what they accept and whether they will waive agreed fees,

The sad fact is uncles don't really make the 'extreme' list, we're more talking immediate family and stuff like your house burning down, I had to take a leave of absence last year when my mum fell ill, and one of the first things the Uni/DWP tactfully asked was if it was immediate family...with the implication being it wouldn't count otherwise.

That said, they're certainly acting crap, the part where the manager called you a liar would have been the exact point i'd have formally taken offence and ended the business relationship, £27 or no £27, tbh the somewhat outlandish claim that they'll take you to court over a trivial sum whether you pay or not (???) implies they aren't serious, just trying to intimidate you.

TBH i'd always go with an independent over a driving school, I feel there needs to be that element of control.
xoxAngel_Kxox
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Firstly, I'm sorry for what has happened to your uncle.

Secondly, my dad is a driving instructor, and you have no idea the excuses some people come up with to try and plead extenuating circumstances. What a lot of people seem to forget is that these people are self-employed, so if you cancel a £30 lesson at the last minute, that leaves them £30 down for the day, as they don't have time to offer that slot to someone else.

However, I know that if my dad had a lesson booked in for Monday and they cancelled on Saturday, he would be okay with that. It's quite pedantic to count the 48 hours so exactly, and I think he actually says "two days", which it was.

My opinion is different because as I say, I've seen the other side of the coin. Most young people just think HOW DARE THEY charge me for a service I've not had, but for someone will bills to pay it's a very different side of the situation, and every penny make a difference sometimes.

I'm not saying you should or shouldn't pay for the lesson, that's up to you. It's unlikely that they would get anywhere taking you to court unless you actually signed a contract that stated the 48 hour rule. If you did then you may find that you have to pay.
Simbasoul
  • Community Assistant
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
It is nobody's interest to go to court - it will cost both sides far more than the £27 the lesson costs - but, as a larger business (than an independent driving instructor) they may just do it on principle. I would send them the money with a copy of the death certificate of your uncle, which would show the date he died, and a note saying that as you have now paid what they believe you owe, and given proof of your bereavement, that you would hope they have the decency to stop threatening you with court.

If you have told porkies about someone dying. Shame on you.
bones-mccoy
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Most reasonable people would understand about a family member dying rather than fly off the handle with such a ridiculous overreaction. I think you're better off switching driving schools. They're not going to take you to court over such a small amount of money, the time and money spent on court fees would far exceed the price of one single driving lesson.
ageshallnot
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Simbasoul)
It is nobody's interest to go to court - it will cost both sides far more than the £27 the lesson costs - but, as a larger business (than an independent driving instructor) they may just do it on principle. I would send them the money with a copy of the death certificate of your uncle, which would show the date he died, and a note saying that as you have now paid what they believe you owe, and given proof of your bereavement, that you would hope they have the decency to stop threatening you with court.

If you have told porkies about someone dying. Shame on you.
Oh there are porkies being told by somebody. Have a look at my post above...
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Simbasoul
  • Community Assistant
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by ageshallnot)
Oh there are porkies being told by somebody. Have a look at my post above...
I did - that is why I added that sentence! Either porkies are being told or someone is very unfortunate with their family......
ageshallnot
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Not that I have to prove myself to you or anyone one else, but this really did happen. Yeah that's my username, I accidentally pressed post automatically, because I wasnt really paying attention to what I was clicking. Anyway, it's none of your business what I post. Believe what You want, makes no difference to me.
What you post is the business of everyone who reads it on this public forum. And everyone can make up their own mind.
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by xoxAngel_Kxox)
Firstly, I'm sorry for what has happened to your uncle.

Secondly, my dad is a driving instructor, and you have no idea the excuses some people come up with to try and plead extenuating circumstances. What a lot of people seem to forget is that these people are self-employed, so if you cancel a £30 lesson at the last minute, that leaves them £30 down for the day, as they don't have time to offer that slot to someone else.

However, I know that if my dad had a lesson booked in for Monday and they cancelled on Saturday, he would be okay with that. It's quite pedantic to count the 48 hours so exactly, and I think he actually says "two days", which it was.

My opinion is different because as I say, I've seen the other side of the coin. Most young people just think HOW DARE THEY charge me for a service I've not had, but for someone will bills to pay it's a very different side of the situation, and every penny make a difference sometimes.

I'm not saying you should or shouldn't pay for the lesson, that's up to you. It's unlikely that they would get anywhere taking you to court unless you actually signed a contract that stated the 48 hour rule. If you did then you may find that you have to pay.
Well I understand why they were angry and have apologised to them for missing the lesson and told them that I would pay, however, disbelieving me about the death of my uncle is unacceptable, I know some people have told lies to get out of not paying, but my uncle really did die and the fact that he called me a liar, makes it very unprofessional.
certain some1
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Not that I have to prove myself to you or anyone one else, but this really did happen. Yeah that's my username, I accidentally pressed post automatically, because I wasnt really paying attention to what I was clicking. Anyway, it's none of your business what I post. Believe what You want, makes no difference to me.
so why you posting it here then lmao
Anonymous #3
Report 1 month ago
Honestly I feel like you're lying which is why you've come running to TSR. If it was fo'reals you could prove it with a death certificate or get another family member to call. But because you're lying, you're scared that they will actually take you to court so you're here to find out what will happen. Just ignore it, nex t time don't tell porkies and say you're sick or hungover.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Is the plastic tax enough to protect the environment?

Yes (1)
1.49%
No (66)
98.51%

Watched Threads