The Student Room Group

Jeremy Corbyn calls vote of no confidence

Scroll to see replies

Original post by turquoise_badger
No majority for May's deal
No majority for 2nd Referendum
No majority for no-deal Brexit
(Probably) no majority for vote of no confidence and general election.

May's only option is to ask for an extension to Article 50, during which nothing will happen because nobody can agree on anything. May will be forced out via a vote of no confidence in a year's time, but any replacement regardless of their perspective on Brexit will not command a majority in Parliament. Even if Corbyn gets the votes for a vote of no confidence and a general election tonight, he almost certainly will not win an outright majority, and based of recent polls might not even get largest party, leaving Parliament even more split.

I foresee a dim political future.

You don’t need a majority for no deal you just need to block everything else until the end of March then it happens by default
Original post by Doonesbury
Tend to agree with this - the VONC will fail tonight.

Barring a miracle or blackmail, absolutely.
Original post by paul514
You don’t need a majority for no deal you just need to block everything else until the end of March then it happens by default

Yes, but an extension is relativity easy to obtain and May has made it very clear that she does not want a no-deal Brexit.
Original post by paul514
They are calling it because it’s their policy so they can move on to second referendum calling.

All it shows is the opposition parties to the government want to be in government, big surprise!

It does nothing.

You will be on here at 8pm going well back to square 1 we don’t have a deal that parliament will pass other than Norway so will the PM put that to a binding vote or will she go with no deal. 🙄

I am of the opinion that it is not going to be a clear win or loss at this stage. I don't think going back to square 1 is necessarily a bad thing, however - at least we're not committed to a bad deal just yet.
Original post by paul514
Which it can’t because the old one can call no confidence in that and guess what, it has a majority of MP’s

Not necessarily.

Let us say the DUP decided to desert Theresa tonight (they have said they won't but let's say Theresa announces she is Celtic fan), the vote of no confidence would be won by Corbyn.

Vince Cable might then say that he would give confidence and support to a Conservative government but only if it was led by either Hammond or Rudd or Gauke.

The Tories then have a choice. Select Hammond or Rudd or Gauke as PM and remain in power, or fight an election under May or someone else.
Yes, but an extension is relativity easy to obtain and May has made it very clear that she does not want a no-deal Brexit.

Well this is my point, its down to her, there is sod all parliament can do at this point if she decides no deal.

I don't believe she will which leaves one option for her which is Norway.
Original post by shadowdweller
I am of the opinion that it is not going to be a clear win or loss at this stage. I don't think going back to square 1 is necessarily a bad thing, however - at least we're not committed to a bad deal just yet.

Actually we are committed to a bad deal for half the country either way.

Remainers - No deal
Leavers - Norway
Original post by nulli tertius
Not necessarily.

Let us say the DUP decided to desert Theresa tonight (they have said they won't but let's say Theresa announces she is Celtic fan), the vote of no confidence would be won by Corbyn.

Vince Cable might then say that he would give confidence and support to a Conservative government but only if it was led by either Hammond or Rudd or Gauke.

The Tories then have a choice. Select Hammond or Rudd or Gauke as PM and remain in power, or fight an election under May or someone else.

Mate, no chance. You will see so in less than an hour.
Reply 48

Not past the next EU parliament elections it's not.
That doesn't buy much time...
Original post by paul514
Mate, no chance. You will see so in less than an hour.

Of course it wont’t happen tonight but that is because May won’t lose tonight.
Gove just kicked ass before the division
As expected the government wins 325 - 306
I wonder if Corbyn may have played a brilliant game here. He understands that his party has adopted no coherent position on Brexit, attempts to 'topple the government' at their moment of weakness to prove to his contemporaries that he genuinely wants the leadership but is subtly aware that he never really had a chance of winning a motion of no confidence anyway. Thus, he can leave the burden of Brexit on May and her indecisiveness.Or maybe Corbyn genuinely thought he could become PM within weeks and he has no idea what he is doing.
Original post by pointofawareness
I wonder if Corbyn may have played a brilliant game here. He understands that his party has adopted no coherent position on Brexit, attempts to 'topple the government' at their moment of weakness to prove to his contemporaries that he genuinely wants the leadership but is subtly aware that he never really had a chance of winning a motion of no confidence anyway. Thus, he can leave the burden of Brexit on May and her indecisiveness.Or maybe Corbyn genuinely thought he could become PM within weeks and he has no idea what he is doing.

No it was about going through the motions of party management.

Now all the options are on the table for them including a people’s vote as they never tire of saying.

They will talk with the government over the weekend not come to an agreement in all likelihood then it will be all the opposition party’s calling for labour to do call for a people’s vote. Which takes you up to Tuesday next week

Quick Reply

Latest