Don't want to live at home for uni...my parents say I should Watch

yotsr123
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
I've already made up my mind that I am definitely not living at home for university. My parents are too strict and I need that independance.
Livng away from home is not even going to be an issue for me because I already know how to cook, clean, iron my clothes, do my own laundry, etc and do it every single day for myself so that's not a problem.
My parents say that living away from home will be
1. dangerous
2. very expensive
And it's cheaper to live at home. Is this true? Their income is also below 20k should I say.

I don't mind where I go to be honest, I've even been thinking of applying to scholarships abroad? Any advice/tips/links for that?

And my final question, any advice on how I could go about living away from home? Would it mean I'd have to get a part time job because it would cost extra to live in the uni??

I'm willing to do most of the research myself for this if needed, more just looking for any experience and unique tips provided here on TSR.
Thank-you guys!
katf
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
A part time job would help, but you'd get the full maintenance loan so you should be fine financially if you're sensible.

I'd get a part time job now as you'll have to pay for an accommodation deposit and other moving costs. Tell your parents that you'll be fine financially, and there aren't any real dangers in uni accommodation. You'll just need to be sensible.
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Sheisun
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
My parents were the same, my mother deperately wanted me to stay at home. She was using the whole "you get your dinners cookes for you, your laundry done for you, you'll live here for free" argument. I told her that if I stay at home I'm not gonna learn how to be independed and do all those things by myself, which at one point I will have to, and university is the best opportunity for that. I knew these weren't the real reasons she wanted me to stay though, she just wanted to keep me as a free housekeeper and babysitter (when I come home for the holidays this is all I do, so I'm glad I'm not there most of the time).

Uni is more expensive away from home but not very expensive (depending on your lifestyle).If your parents earn less than 20K then you will most likely get the full maintenance loan, or close to full, and you could maybe apply for grant schemes if your university has those. I got 7.5K each year so far, with accomodation costing 5K, so i get 2.5 K all to myself. I have not worked at uni so far, but my parents do give me a little bit of money for groceries. If they didn't, 2.5K would just be enough for food for the whole year with little to no pocket money left over so I would definitely get a job then. I'd see how you get on with your maintenance loan first, and if you have spare time or feel like you could do with some extra cash, get a part time job. Accomodation is the most expensive part abut the uni (not including tuition fees of course), so make sure you choose a hall that fits within your maintenance loan with plenty left over. Food is really cheap, especially if you shop at cheaper stores like ASDA or Lidl or Aldi, so really that shouldn't be a worry if you have a big maintenance loan. If you like to drink and go out, that obviously is also going to harm your wallet, and of course there's things like books to consider. If you'll be visiting home, you'll need to think about train fares.
Drewski
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Don't let them guilt trip you.

Yeah, it'll cost. But it's worth it.

And no, its not dangerous.
Drewski
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Stop bumping.
DrawTheLine
  • Community Assistant
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by yotsr123)
*bump*
DrawTheLine
Idk why you're tagging me, you've had some very helpful replies already.
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
yotsr123
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
(Original post by DrawTheLine)
Idk why you're tagging me, you've had some very helpful replies already.
alright then bye

(Original post by Drewski)
Stop bumping.
don't click.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Edge Hill University
    Undergraduate and Postgraduate - Campus Tour Undergraduate
    Mon, 18 Feb '19
  • University of the Arts London
    MA Innovation Management Open Day Postgraduate
    Mon, 18 Feb '19
  • University of Roehampton
    Department of Media, Culture and Language; School of Education; Business School Undergraduate
    Tue, 19 Feb '19

Do you give blood?

Yes (50)
9.52%
I used to but I don't now (14)
2.67%
No, but I want to start (189)
36%
No, I am unable to (122)
23.24%
No, I chose not to (150)
28.57%