Question about National 5

Watch this thread
lani6
Badges: 3
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Hi everyone,

I'm in S3 and we have recently chose our subjects that we are going to study in fourth year. I aspire to study veterinary medicine at university and become a vet once I've graduated. But today, we were given our school reports, which states what level your teacher thinks you should study in S4, and now I'm really worried that my chance to do the only job I want to do has been ruined.

The subjects I chose were Maths and English (obviously), Chemistry, Biology, Physics and Administration. I didn't do Physics last year, but we are allowed to "pick up" subjects if we really need them, and I would like to do as much science subjects as possible. I was given National 5 for all of the subjects I chose - except Biology.

I was given National 4. My initial thought was: "I can't be a vet anymore, my whole plan is ruined" because Biology is needed to fit the entry requirements for many vet schools. For example, the Royal School in Edinburgh requires AAA for A Levels - I know I can do National 5 Biology in S5, but that means I might not be able to do Advanced Highers in Biology, which I also need.

I would say I'm a good student at Biology, although sometimes I can't put 100% in my work because I am scared stiff of some of the people in my class (bullies) which prevents me from concentrating. I don't know what my mark was on the "big" assessment, though. My teacher said that the small assessments we get for every topic is to see what level we should do, however, and I have passed every one of those tests! The lowest score I got was 5/10 (still a pass), and that was because I had been absent due to an appointment on the day we were learning some of the things for that assessment.

Does anyone know if it is a possible to be moved to a National 5 level class from a National 4 level, either during S4 (with plenty of time until the exam), or in the remainder of S3?

Thanks
jamie.xo
Badges: 11
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 3 years ago
It is definitely possible to be moved during or before the year begins however it is less likely when the year has already started because information might be learned at a relatively fast pace and it might be difficult to catch up; in both these cases however, whether you can change level or not is entirely dependant on your school and its policies.

I would highly recommend speaking to your teacher, if the results from that are unfavourable and you feel confident that National 5 is for you then I would recommend speaking to somebody higher or who can direct you to the appropriate person such as a guidance teacher, departmental head or your head of year.

The fact that you have passed your assessments shows that you might be ready, but perhaps your teacher for some reason feels otherwise; speaking with them would be your best bet. I know sometimes it can be a little scary to speak to all of these people particularly at a young age however it would definitely be beneficial should they accept your wishes to change level. You could also have a parent or guardian contact the school if you wanted to do that also.
lani6
Badges: 3
Rep:
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Thanks for the reply!

I talked to my teacher during Parents' Evening. She gave my mum an excellent report about me and said that if I score high (think 90-100%) in the last two assessments that we have this year, I will be moved to National 5. Otherwise, I will be put in a National 4/5 split class and if I work hard and do well in that class, I will be moved up to a National 5 class. I will definitely do a lot of studying and revising for Biology this year!
Badges: 14
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
Hi,

Glad that your teacher was so constructive at your parents night - you sound like you'd be capable of sitting the National 5.

I agree with the other poster. The most important thing you can do if your school are kicking up a fuss about you sitting the N5 exam is to make sure that you speak to (and involve your parents and carers if necessary) the head of department or year head. At the end of the day - if it is such that you really to sit the exam, you will work for it and you think you would pass it, it would be wrong for the school to deny you the opportunity.

In the meantime, I'm sure you'll work hard anyway and you'll get to take the exam without having to have any additional conversations.

Best of luck in your upcoming tests!
Last edited by 123543; 3 years ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Y13's - If you haven't confirmed your firm and insurance choices yet, why is that?

I am waiting until the deadline in case anything in my life changes (21)
20.39%
I am waiting until the deadline in case something else changes (e.g. exams/pandemic related concerns) (12)
11.65%
I am waiting until I can see the unis in person (7)
6.8%
I still have more questions before I make my decision (17)
16.5%
No reason, just haven't entered it yet (23)
22.33%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (23)
22.33%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed