Did I go through clearing unnecessarily? (2015/16)

Watch this thread
Spin_Docotor96
Badges: 0
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Okay, so last year I graduated from the University of Reading which I got into through clearing, after finding out the applications to my original options were 'unsuccessful'.

However, early this evening I was digging through some stuff which I'd packed before leaving to go to Uni and i found a letter from one of my original choices saying 'congratulations' and that I'd been offered a place to study economics starting in 2015/16.

I don't remember receiving this letter, all i remember is opening the UCAS website the day our results were released and the website saying my application had been unsuccessful. Obviously I began frantically applying to places through clearing after this!

Now I can't tell if this letter I found is a poorly worded conditional offer telling me about a potential place at my original choice of university or if it was an actual offer to study at the university i originally wanted to go to. In which case i ended up applying to another university through clearing unnecessarily.

The letter began by saying 'I'm very pleased to inform you that you have been offered a place to study economics starting in 2015/16'. Unfortunately the letter doesn't have a date on it so i cant tell if this was sent before or after i received my results.

If i were able to post an image of the letter would someone be able to tell me if it is an actual offer to study at the university i originally wanted to go to, or just a letter indicating that they had received my application and had offered me a place dependent on me getting the required grades?

Has anyone else ever had this happen to them?
Last edited by Spin_Docotor96; 3 years ago
Muttley79
Badges: 20
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Spin_Docotor96)
Okay, so last year I graduated from the University of Reading which I got into through clearing, after finding out the applications to my original options were 'unsuccessful'.

However, early this evening I was digging through some stuff which I'd packed before leaving to go to Uni and i found a letter from one of my original choices saying 'congratulations' and that I'd been offered a place to study economics starting in 2015/16.

I don't remember receiving this letter, all i remember is opening the UCAS website the day our results were released and the website saying my application had been unsuccessful. Obviously I began frantically applying to places through clearing after this!

Now I can't tell if this letter I found is a poorly worded conditional offer telling me about a potential place at my original choice of university or if it was an actual offer to study at the university i originally wanted to go to. In which case i ended up applying to another university through clearing unnecessarily.

The letter began by saying 'I'm very pleased to inform you that you have been offered a place to study economics starting in 2015/16'. Unfortunately the letter doesn't have a date on it so i cant tell if this was sent before or after i received my results.

If i were able to post an image of the letter would someone be able to tell me if it is an actual offer to study at the university i originally wanted to go to, or just a letter indicating that they had received my application and had offered me a place dependent on me getting the required grades?

Has anyone else ever had this happen to them?
You can't go through clearing without being rejected by firm and insurance or them agreeing to release you. One of these things must have happened.
Spin_Docotor96
Rep:
Name:  Uea Application letter .jpg
Views: 46
Size:  168.3 KB
Spin_Docotor96
Rep:
(Original post by Muttley79)
You can't go through clearing without being rejected by firm and insurance or them agreeing to release you. One of these things must have happened.
Thats a relief I suppose. So in the letter I posted below, the 'offer' they are most likely referring to is a conditional offer which was depenedent on me getting the required grades. I neither got the grades nor got them to agree to release me, I must have been rejected :eek:
Hasham123
Badges: 15
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
The letter mentions visiting them on applicant days which as far as I know take place a least a few months before results day so I guessing that it is a poorly worded conditional offer
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA Combined Science - Biology Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (59)
34.5%
The paper was reasonable (68)
39.77%
Not feeling great about that exam... (28)
16.37%
It was TERRIBLE (16)
9.36%

Watched Threads