The Student Room Group

Intermittent Fasting!

So I’m trying out intermittent fasting! I don’t eat for like like 17 hours and then after I eat like rice or a crisp packet or a chocolate bar and the total calories is around 900. Will I lose weight?
Reply 1
if you're in a calorie defecit you will lose weight. that is the one universal truth!

i would advise doing it in a way that is sustainable for you. if intermittent fasting helps you restrict your calorie intake, then great!

900 is way too low. its unsustainable, you will feel letharic and have a low mood. you need at least 1500 or so calories a day minimum, depending on your body mass, gender and age. you need nutritious food too! fruits, vegetables, complex carbs, healthy fats, complete proteins. 900 calories of rice, crisps or chocolate is far from a nutritionally complete diet, and will have a detrimental effect on your health.

tl,dr: yes you will lose weight. this is not healthy or sustainable.
Original post by sotor
if you're in a calorie defecit you will lose weight. that is the one universal truth!

i would advise doing it in a way that is sustainable for you. if intermittent fasting helps you restrict your calorie intake, then great!

900 is way too low. its unsustainable, you will feel letharic and have a low mood. you need at least 1500 or so calories a day minimum, depending on your body mass, gender and age. you need nutritious food too! fruits, vegetables, complex carbs, healthy fats, complete proteins. 900 calories of rice, crisps or chocolate is far from a nutritionally complete diet, and will have a detrimental effect on your health.

tl,dr: yes you will lose weight. this is not healthy or sustainable.

I’m 5’1 and 48kg. How long will it take to lose the weight.
Reply 3
Original post by Anonymous2114
I’m 5’1 and 48kg. How long will it take to lose the weight.

you're on the low end of a healthy weight, what weight do you want to lose??
Original post by sotor
you're on the low end of a healthy weight, what weight do you want to lose??

Thigh and belly fat
Reply 5
900 every day isn’t great but maybe 500 2 days a week and 1,200 the other days is ok so long as you have nutrition in the food.
That’s what I’ll be doing, intermittent fasting on a 5:2 diet. You can change up the numbers to fit you more specifically though.
Reply 6
Thigh and belly fat

i would be concerned if you were to try to lose much weight, it will potentially put you at an unhealthy weight.

maybe try building some muscle instead! you can make your thighs and stomach look more toned and therefore as if you are thinner, without losing weight in an unhealthy way.

for the record, it is impossible to only lose weigh on certain parts of your body. you may naturally store more fat in your thighs and stomach (like most people, especially women) but if you were to lose weight, it would come from everywhere.
Original post by sotor
i would be concerned if you were to try to lose much weight, it will potentially put you at an unhealthy weight.

maybe try building some muscle instead! you can make your thighs and stomach look more toned and therefore as if you are thinner, without losing weight in an unhealthy way.

for the record, it is impossible to only lose weigh on certain parts of your body. you may naturally store more fat in your thighs and stomach (like most people, especially women) but if you were to lose weight, it would come from everywhere.

I know but I want to lose at least 2kg and I don’t know how long that will take with 17:7
I haven’t noticed a difference of my thighs
Reply 8
Original post by sotor

I agree with this (build some muscle). As an already lean person your body will fight you as you try and lose essential fat levels (our bodies need some fat), plus you'll most likely put that fat back on as soon as your start eating normally again.

Usually people say no amount of abs exercise will give you a six pack, and this is true for most, where they have too much fat on their belly which would cover it. But in your case this would serve you better. Build up your abs and your fat levels are probably already low enough that they'd show, and make you look leaner. The same will hold true if you build some muscle in your legs. If you bust your guts nutrition-wise to lose more fat you'll look unhealthy in the end.
Reply 9
I know but I want to lose at least 2kg and I don’t know how long that will take with 17:7
I haven’t noticed a difference of my thighs

youre not listening to anything we're saying man, you dont need to lose 2kg

fat loss is not at an equal rate in everyone. i cant tell you how long it will take you to lose 2kg through the method you proposed. i can tell you that its going to damage your relationship with food and likely not give you the results you desire. this is not the way to shape your body, working out is.
Intermittent fasting generally only works because it helps maintain a caloric deficit.

Also, don't do crash diets, for those that aren't well in the habit of basing their diet around calories and it's a lifestyle for them, these kinds of diets lead to very temporary fat loss because the person typically goes back to their old eating habits once the diet is over and the weight is lost.

What I think works best for the average person, is calculate their TDEE for the weight they want to be. If you want to be 45kg, then calculate your TDEE as if you were 45kg and then formulate a diet that you can stick to with that many calories. If you eat that, gradually you'll drop the weight and then once you hit your target weight, you'll already be used to the diet - stick with it and you'll then maintain that weight. It's not the fastest approach, but it's one that will see you maintaining your fat loss in the long run, which is much more ideal.
It's mad IF is coming round again. It was a thing 4 or so years ago, then disappeared for a bit. Now fitness industry is recycling it again

I am old lol

Quick Reply