The Student Room Group

Being indecisive

So I am interested in become a paramedic and will be going to uni in September. However, I’m not sure if I feel it’s the right career and if I’m still actually interested. At times I still want to be one and others I really don’t. I’m now thinking of taking a gap year to literally sort my **** out. Any advise?
Reply 1
What other careers are you considering? Have you thought about getting work experience as a paramedic so you can make an educated decision?
Reply 2
i would advise calling your university and seeing if you can defer a year! if you can, then 100% take the gap year. if not, take some more time now to figure it out, you can withdraw from your course anytime i believe, but maybe someone could correct me if im wrong here.
Reply 3
Original post by Crow_M
What other careers are you considering? Have you thought about getting work experience as a paramedic so you can make an educated decision?

Yeh I’ve gotten work experience in a hospital, but I still didn’t really help. I don’t know any other jobs to consider.
Reply 4
Original post by sotor
i would advise calling your university and seeing if you can defer a year! if you can, then 100% take the gap year. if not, take some more time now to figure it out, you can withdraw from your course anytime i believe, but maybe someone could correct me if im wrong here.

Thank you for your help :smile:
Original post by L4uren1
So I am interested in become a paramedic and will be going to uni in September. However, I’m not sure if I feel it’s the right career and if I’m still actually interested. At times I still want to be one and others I really don’t. I’m now thinking of taking a gap year to literally sort my **** out. Any advise?

Finding a job we love and that suits us is one of the biggest factors of fitting into society, which is all people want at the end of the day. I believe that in general people really struggle with finding a suitable job, and some never do. So my first bit of advice is don't feel alone in not satisfying this need and don't beat yourself up too much.

Now my next bit of advice is to try and get your feet wet as much as possible. Read books about paramedic work, talk to people who are working in the field about it, try to get some voluntary experience at least somewhat related to it that might give you some more insight. Search Google and YouTube about it to find out more information. Don't be afraid of changing your mind if you think you find another career that seems more suitable for you. Don't expect to find the answer you're looking for anytime soon, but try to get closer to the answer. And remember, going to university is more about showing you can work hard and be dedicated on something, one doesn't have to work in the field of their degree, and most people actually don't.

Do you mind telling me what it is you like about it and what it is that puts you off about it? And also what are your favourite subjects at school and why?

Quick Reply

Latest