Report Thread starter 1 year ago
What’s Foundation year in university
Last edited by tee3434; 1 year ago
Crow_M
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
It's when you have different subjects that a course asks for so you do a "year 0" to cover the content which you would cover in A Levels that were required for a course.
sotor
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by tee3434)
What’s Foundation year in university
often for science courses, especially for medicine, unis will offer an extra year at the start of the degree. it's available to those without a background in science, such as those who took non-science a levels. it provides a 'foundation' level understanding of the subject, so that when the candidate enters year 1 of the degree (the foundation year is considered year 0) they have the same level of baseline knowledge as the rest of their year.

i haven't heard of any for disciplines other than medicine, but maybe some other users could add more examples!
Last edited by sotor; 1 year ago
Alien Gamer
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
You can get a foundation for just about anything these days such as engineering,maths, nursing and even law. It's ussally A level content you missed covered in one year. For instance you want to do Maths with a foundation year you will spend the year 0 likely studying content from maths and further maths.
Realitysreflexx
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
It's a good way to ease into a degree if your missing the requirements to start the course from your current set of qualifications.

Lets say you wanted to do a BsC of Management at Nottingham University (my course lol) (requires AAB)

But only got BBC in your A levels.

You could then apply to do a foundation year through Kaplan (private and pricey) or apply to Nottingham foundation directly...(limited spaces) and make a three year degree a four year experience, of one year spent just to qualify you, rather then going to Nottingham Trent with your BBC.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (567)
34.26%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (681)
41.15%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (332)
20.06%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (75)
4.53%

Watched Threads