The Student Room Group

Official 2019 GCSE resit results thread!

Scroll to see replies

Got my resit result for GCSE Maths, kinda knew I was going to fail, but to be fair my Year 11 teacher was useless, she went too fast while teaching and it was as if she didn't understand that we were doing badly in class tests and mocks because we couldn't understand how to solve the questions and just bad at maths in general. Now im in sixth form and despite having two really great teachers, two months to recap and relearn all the topics for me wasn't enough. Well at least this time I will have better resources and more time, fingers crossed it pays off this time!

sorry this post was so long lol:smile::biggrin::u:
I've just replied to a couple of queries about remarking your GCSE papers, so I'm taking the liberty of repeating my answer here, to wit,

The first thing to do is not panic!

From today you have one week (24 January) to ask for urgent copies of your GCSE papers to be sent to the school. Your teachers can then look at how your scripts have been marked. They will then be able to form a judgement as to whether it will be worth your while asking for the marking to be reviewed.

Bear in mind that even if you do ask for a review of the original marking, it is nowadays unusual for marks to change all that much. The exam boards only alter marks now if clear errors have been made in the marking (rather than just a difference in professional judgement between markers).

Nevertheless, if you do decide to go through with a review of marking (after your teachers look at your scripts), you will have a window of a few weeks in which to do so - the deadline is 14 February.

Two caveats: both Access to Scripts (seeing your paper before deciding on review of marking) and the Review itself will incure a fee, and your marks could go down as well as stay the same or be increased.

I only have the WJEC fees in front of me now, but the other boards are very similar: per unit it costs £11 for Access to Scripts and £36 for what they call Service 2 (a clerical check and a review of the original marking).

Hope that helps!
Here are the notional marks it took to get each grade for the WJEC November 2018 GCSE exams.

https://www.wjec.co.uk/GradePoints2018November%20GCSE%20(Linear)%20NEW%20WALES.pdf?language_id=1

Hope they help.
Reply 63
Well it wasn't really a resit but I'll post it here anyway. I did my GCSE Numeracy exams in November and got the results today, I got a B overall which is great considering that to be honest, not much revision was done for it...
Original post by JustLewis
Well it wasn't really a resit but I'll post it here anyway. I did my GCSE Numeracy exams in November and got the results today, I got a B overall which is great considering that to be honest, not much revision was done for it...

No, well done. That's a solid result, though.

Do you think it's worthwhile taking another stab at it in May just before your GCSE Maths?
Original post by 学生の父
From today you have one week (24 January) to ask for urgent copies of your GCSE papers to be sent to the school. Your teachers can then look at how your scripts have been marked. They will then be able to form a judgement as to whether it will be worth your while asking for the marking to be reviewed.
Two caveats: both Access to Scripts (seeing your paper before deciding on review of marking) and the Review itself will incure a fee, and your marks could go down as well as stay the same or be increased.

It's not possible to order a copy of your marked script if you took it with AQA.

For Edexcel you can get a copy of the scripts back for free - you just need to give your permission to the exams officer to download them.
Reply 66
Original post by 学生の父
No, well done. That's a solid result, though.

Do you think it's worthwhile taking another stab at it in May just before your GCSE Maths?

Thanks a lot! My target grade in Numeracy was a C, so getting a B means I have surpassed it so my school will not be pushing me to resit at all. Honestly, I feel that a resit won't really bring much of an improvement as most of my high school life I have been at a B/C grade in Maths, plus it doesn't hurt that not resitting means 2 less exams in the Summer.
Original post by Compost
It's not possible to order a copy of your marked script if you took it with AQA.

For Edexcel you can get a copy of the scripts back for free - you just need to give your permission to the exams officer to download them.

I wonder why AQA has gone against JCQ's agreed position? You are correct, though. I've checked AQA's website:

https://www.aqa.org.uk/exams-administration/results-days/post-results/copy-of-marked-paper

It does seem to do against the JCQ policy on post-results services:

https://www.jcq.org.uk/exams-office/post-results-services/post-results-services-june-2018-and-november-2018

On page 17 it says, "6.3 Copies of scripts to support reviews of marking
Centres must submit applications on-line via the awarding bodies’ extranet sites.
6.3.1 Centres will be able to request copies of GCE AS, GCE A-level and GCSE scripts (subject to
availability) before deciding whether to lodge a review of marking."

The request must be made within 7 days of the release of results.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by 学生の父
I wonder why AQA has gone against JCQ's agreed position? You are correct, though. I've checked AQA's website:

Exam boards were told they have to offer priority scripts for GCSE students by (I think) 2020 - AQA just haven't got there yet.

Edexcel's free sript service remains available for several months, not just the 7 days the rest of the boards offer.
Reply 69
i know the boundary for maths gcse went down by 4 from the summer exams... but i am not sure if that was good or if maths teachers expected it to drop more than that? anyone have any ideas or opinions what they think ? :smile:
Reply 70
I took 3 IGCSE subjects; environmental management, geography and travel and tourism. Out of these, EVM and Geography were my go-to subjects that I thought I prepared wonderfully for and I was so, so hopeful to at least gain a C on them but to my utter horrific shock I got a D in both of them and instead passed in the subject I was wary of passing about. :frown: I'm so disheartened by this. I've been thinking about getting both my EVM and Geography papers remarked but it supposedly isn't worth it because the grades hardly will change (?) + the grade may get even lower and I really don't need anything lower than that on my certificate of results. :s-smilie: And the worst part is that CIE doesn't even offer free transcripts readily available to be given to students to see what and how the papers were graded.

Can someone please re-confirm whether getting the papers rechecked/remarked is worth it at all? Is it more sensible to just do a complete resit?
I was literally 4 and 3 marks away from getting a C on Geography and EVM (respectively).
And also, have the grade boundaries changed for EVM and Geography recently? As far as I know they haven't, but can someone please chime in and correct me if I'm wrong?

Ugh, what a dreadful start to this new years! :'(
(edited 5 years ago)
This thread is starting to get out of topic.
Is it possible to get a remark if you are 10 marks away from the pass grade?
Reply 73
Hi guys I’ve passed maths with a 4 proud about it !! Unfortunately I haven’t passed English but got a 3 this because I’ve retaking it after a year
Original post by The Learn Ranger
Sorry - I tagged everyone who had posted in the Maths or English resit threads.

Ahhh no problem
I got a 7, wonder if anyone got a 7,8,9
Reply 76
Original post by BenTenTacion
I got a 7, wonder if anyone got a 7,8,9

english lang?
Original post by hd...
english lang?

No math
Reply 78
Heyyyyy guys:smile:.. I got my results yesterday and they were pretty good but I was kinda not expecting them at all... I am pleased to say that I got 6 c's and 1 B in IGCSE.... I wanna thank the student room for helping me through this journey....

XOXO
I got a 6 in my english language GCSE resit (AQA) and was 1 mark off a grade 7!!! Need to get a remark, I was 11 marks above the grade 6, so do you think I should send it off for a remark. initially I got a grade 5 in my language but needed a 6 so I resat, what do you guys think because it will bug me forever if I dont send it off for a remark knowing all my life I was 1 mark off a grade 7!!

Quick Reply

Latest