The Student Room Group

Does having depression affect your chances of going to a Russel Group University?

Do Russel group universities, like Oxbridge, take this into consideration? Would you be less likely to be offered a place because of this?

Scroll to see replies

How would they know? Would you mention 'I'm depressed' on your personal statement??
Original post by Anonymous
How would they know? Would you mention 'I'm depressed' on your personal statement??

You can include health conditions on your UCAS Application.
Original post by laurenai
You can include health conditions on your UCAS Application.

I assume you aren't obligated to put them down though right? Which you wouldn't if there's no benefit...
Hi, I'm a 19 year old who has suffered from depression and anxiety since I was 12. I've just received offers from four Russell Group Unis! Leeds, York, Newcastle and Durham. :smile:
I assume you aren't obligated to put them down though right? Which you wouldn't if there's no benefit...

I put mine down, both anxiety and severe depression. I also indicated that I would need support within the university because of this, and I received offers from all 5 universities.
Hi, I'm a 19 year old who has suffered from depression and anxiety since I was 12. I've just received offers from four Russell Group Unis! Leeds, York, Newcastle and Durham. :smile:

Wow congrats! Thank you for your reply.
Original post by thersahouseupon

Thanks so much! No problem, I think letting universities know will help you get the support you'll need in university, so I think it's important :smile: Also if depression effects your exams or learning you can fill in an extenuating circumstances form, i believe. :smile:
I put mine down, both anxiety and severe depression. I also indicated that I would need support within the university because of this, and I received offers from all 5 universities.

Do you not tick a box somewhere on the form? Most universities will have provisions to help once you are accepted; that’s the only reason to mention it. In no way should you put it down on your personal statement because it isn’t necessary. They can’t hold a medical condition against you and there’s no reason why they would.
Do Russel group universities, like Oxbridge, take this into consideration? Would you be less likely to be offered a place because of this?

Absolutely not. I’m going to Oxford next year and I have anxiety 🙂 don’t fret about it.

Awesome, congratulations dude. :smile: Was this your first time applying or are you resitting? Cause I'm resitting and was worried to declare my mental health problems since I didn't want them thinking "he's going to study badly/not work hard, etc. cause of his anxiety" combined with the fact that I'm resitting. I put them down anyway but yeah.

I've put my depression and recurring migraines down, no issues as I've gotten 3/4 offers (pool rejection at Cambridge) from my PS and grades being good :smile:
Reply 12
If you declare that you have depression, it's literally illegal for them to not offer you a place because of it. They might not offer you a place for other reasons, but your depression won't be one or they'll end up in a lot of trouble. However declaring your depression can have some advantages if you've had time off school, for example. It can also help you to get the right support in place if you do get in.

For example, I need to have either lift access or to be on the ground floor because I find it hard to walk up stairs. I declared my disabilities and my college has accommodated that. If you, for example, struggle with public speaking. Your tutor can know this and know not to call you. I've heard of systems of putting out a red card if you feel uncomfortable talking. You might get support from the counselling team. But your uni can only offer you support if they know there's something wrong.

It could affect somebody's chances by making them struggle with work or similar. A university cannot discriminate against a potential student due to any illness or disability (including depression). It's illegal under the Equality Act. You can also decide not to declare depression until you have been accepted though (or ever, but unis can offer support so it is often helpful to let them know at some stage). If you don't declare it they have no way of knowing and thus no way of discriminating. Same thing applies to work.
(edited 5 years ago)
Do you not tick a box somewhere on the form? Most universities will have provisions to help once you are accepted; that’s the only reason to mention it. In no way should you put it down on your personal statement because it isn’t necessary. They can’t hold a medical condition against you and there’s no reason why they would.

It has a box on the UCAS Application to indicate what sort of help you need as well as letting them know what type of medical condition you have. Of course they won't hold it against you, and it's something to disclose on the form or else they wouldn't have a space for it. Your application is not just your personal statement, it has different sections such as general information, education and so on and then your personal statement.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by Kaiylar
Awesome, congratulations dude. :smile: Was this your first time applying or are you resitting? Cause I'm resitting and was worried to declare my mental health problems since I didn't want them thinking "he's going to study badly/not work hard, etc. cause of his anxiety" combined with the fact that I'm resitting. I put them down anyway but yeah.

Thanks a lot! It was my first time applying but I've left college twice because of my mental health issues being too severe at tjmes. This time I'm almost at the end but still 100% struggle and have really bad attendence, but I disclosed my problems and they know my age and I have bad gcse's due to my mental health too.

Some Unis don't accept resits but I don't think they'll discriminate based on your mental health x
It has a box on the UCAS Application to indicate what sort of help you need as well as letting them know what type of medical condition you have. Of course they won't hold it against you, and it's something to disclose on the form or else they wouldn't have a space for it. Your application is not just your personal statement, it has different sections such as general information, education and so on and then your personal statement.

Exactly. I think your initial replies were very misleading.
Exactly. I think your initial replies were very misleading.

How? I didn't say It was in the personal statement, i said It was on the application - two different things.
Thanks a lot! It was my first time applying but I've left college twice because of my mental health issues being too severe at tjmes. This time I'm almost at the end but still 100% struggle and have really bad attendence, but I disclosed my problems and they know my age and I have bad gcse's due to my mental health too.

Some Unis don't accept resits but I don't think they'll discriminate based on your mental health x

Thank you :smile: That's sad, I hope things improve for you. I didn't get the grades I needed last year cause of my mental health getting really terrible too. I kinda had "domestic issues" which caused me to become so bad. Regardless, I've finally gotten away from the problem so now I can get finally get the grades I needed. Hope you get the grades you need!
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by Kaiylar
Thank you :smile: That's sad, I hope things improve for you. I didn't get the grades I needed last year cause of my mental health getting really terrible too. I kinda had a domestic "issue" which caused me to become so bad. Regardless, I've finally gotten away from the problem so now I can get finally get the grades I needed. Hope you get the grades you need!

Don't worry about it, I'm doing my best to soldier on despite everything! I'm sorry that was the case and I wish you all the best and I hope you get the grades you need <3

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending