The Student Room Group

I hate how weak I am at the gym :(

i'm honestly embarrassed to step foot in the gym nowadays because i constantly keep comparing myself to all the muscular guys there who are deadlifting / bench pressing some crazy amount. Meanwhile i'm struggling to bench with a measly 5kg on each side :frown:

I tried going to the gym today and i really pushed myself but again just struggling to bench 5kg on each side , i actually noticed some bigger boys casually looking and snickering at me which made me feel worse.

Anyone got any tips on how to gain muscle fast so i dont come across as a weak pipsqueak , i'm 18 and pretty short (5ft 5) so muscle kind of needs to compensate for it
i know little guys who come in and say this when im there, you know, you just start chatting during rest periods or they compliment ur form and that. and i tell them dont be ashamed, the gym is for everyone. its not a dance club. and I says to em: one day, you can be as lean as me :wink: lol
Reply 2
Original post by Bang Outta Order
i know little guys who come in and say this when im there, you know, you just start chatting during rest periods or they compliment ur form and that. and i tell them dont be ashamed, the gym is for everyone. its not a dance club. and I says to em: one day, you can be as lean as me :wink: lol

....what
Reply 3
We all started somewhere, as hard as it sounds, try to ignore others. As my personal trainer once said, what you find hard today will be your warm up tomorrow, never give up! Try to exercise regularly and with time those 5kg will be nothing :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by Crow_M
We all started somewhere, as hard as it sounds, try to ignore others. As my personal trainer once said, what you find hard today will be your warm up tomorrow, never give up! Try to exercise regularly and with time those 5kg will be nothing :smile:

ok , thank you
Biggest tip is to not let it discourage you, the more often you go and the more you keep it up the sooner you will be pushing more weight. If you let this put you down and discourage you from going regularly, you won’t increase what you’re lifting nearly as much.

Keep it up and stay consistent, ignore any negativity.
Original post by Anonymous
....what

Original post by Crow_M

pretty much that :rofl:
Since you are trying to bulk, you should try to keep Ur reps low and sets high ( e.g. 5 reps 5 sets) ,however you should try and aim to do the highest weight at which you are able to do those sets with. After workout you will be sore from all the muscle usage and so investing in some protein powder should speed up the process of repairing your muscles. A high protein diet will also be beneficial.
All these bulk looking people were as thin as you (I suppose) so you’ve got to start somewhere ey. I tell myself not to compare myself to others but I should compete so I can get better...
(edited 5 years ago)

Quick Reply