Your oldest console that you bought brand new Watch

RivalPlayer
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
How time flies. I was thinking about my PS3 earlier today when I realised that I’ve owned it for almost 12 years. It’s the longest I’ve ever owned a console from its date of purchase.

My model is the original 60GB PAL launch unit (the model with partial PS2 backward compatibility), and it still looks and works perfectly – mostly because it hasn’t seen much use in the last few years.

I’m aware that my particular model is notorious for its high failure rate, but hopefully with good care it will last for a few more years.

How many years have you owned your oldest non-second-hand console for?
ecolier
  • TSR Support Team
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by RivalPlayer)
PlayStation in 1995

Was the envy of everyone at school
Last edited by ecolier; 1 month ago
It's****ingWOODY
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
We got a brand new PS1 for xmas in 1998 I believe it was, still got it in my wardrobe in full working order :top:
RivalPlayer
Rep:
?
(Original post by ecolier)
PlayStation in 1995

Was the envy of everyone at school
That's impressive. Did you have any problems with the laser? I remember people flipping the console over (on to its lid side) as a way of gaining a temporary fix.
The PS1 was my first home console. I jumped in with the £99 DualShock model in '98.

(Original post by It's****ingWOODY)
We got a brand new PS1 for xmas in 1998 I believe it was, still got it in my wardrobe in full working order :top:
I picked up mine in '98 too. It came with the DualShock controller and Demo 1 with playable demos such as Porsche Challenge and Hercules. I never had any hardware problems.
Last edited by RivalPlayer; 1 month ago
ozzyoscy
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Just realised I've never bought a console new. The only new ones were presents, and that was the PS1 and PS2.

Everything else that I have, from NES, Game Boy to PS4, is pre-owned.
Gofre
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
My copy of Pokemon Blue that I found in the attic while bringing down christmas decorations, so 1999.
It's****ingWOODY
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
That's impressive. Did you have any problems with the laser? I remember people flipping the console over (on to its lid side) as a way of gaining a temporary fix.
The PS1 was my first home console. I jumped in with the £99 DualShock model in '98.

I picked up mine in '98 too. It came with the DualShock controller and Demo 1 with playable demos such as Porsche Challenge and Hercules. I never had any hardware problems.
Same :lol: My Demo 1 came with Tekken 3, Kula World and Medievil.
It's****ingWOODY
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Gofre)
My copy of Pokemon Blue that I found in the attic while bringing down christmas decorations, so 1999.
I've still got Pokémon Blue and my Gameboy Pocket in one of my drawers :lol: So many memories of playing link-up battles, abusing the "rare candy cheat" and everyone helping each other through bits we haven't done yet. Much more fun than being able to just Google how to do it
Last edited by It's****ingWOODY; 1 month ago
Gofre
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I've still got Pokémon Blue and my Gameboy Pocket in one of my drawers :lol: So many memories of playing link-up battles, abusing the "rare candy cheat" and everyone helping each other through bits we haven't done yet. Much more fun than being able to just Google how to do it
I speedrun mine a few times a year whenever I have a long haul flight, I've got the full series on emulators but there's something nostalgic about doing it on cart :yep:
Rayman...
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Sega Dreamcast we had since 2001.
Bang Outta Order
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
cant rem if it was N64 or PS1, probs N64. does gameboy count as a console...? lol
Bang Outta Order
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
thats ace, i dunno if i have my gameboy pocket or colour anymore!! shame...deffo dont have the ps1, should never throw those things out but i moved house a lot, lost things, mum threw em out, or i just wasnt thinking, sold em etc.
RivalPlayer
Rep:
?
(Original post by Bang Outta Order)
cant rem if it was N64 or PS1, probs N64. does gameboy count as a console...? lol
Yeah, I'd say it does. Nintendo's older consoles were pretty solid when it came to reliability.
frostfly
  • Community Assistant
Report 1 month ago
My first brand new console was the DS Lite, which I've owned since 2010. Not worth much but still holds a lot of sentimental value to me :moon:
_gcx
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
A Wii lol, got it for my 7th birthday and still use it for GameCube games through Nintendon't. (better than an emulator)
NotNotBatman
  • Community Assistant
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Oldest console I have now is Gamecube. My dad threw the n64 away because "it was old ", but it would have been that.
RivalPlayer
Rep:
?
(Original post by _gcx)
A Wii lol, got it for my 7th birthday and still use it for GameCube games through Nintendon't. (better than an emulator)
I thought the Wii was fully backward compatible with the GC straight out of the box.
iElvendork
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
All my consoles were brand new as far as I know - most of them were presents and I still own them

PS1, pink GBA SP, pink DS lite, Wii (all bought by a combination of my Dad and Nan)
Red 3DS XL which I technically bought with inheritance money from my Nan
AngryJellyfish
  • Section Leader
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
The original chunky grey Game Boy, mid 90s. 1996 at a guess, as I know I upgraded to a Color a couple of years later when that was new. The GBC broke, but the original works fine!
_gcx
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I thought the Wii was fully backward compatible with the GC straight out of the box.
It is, but Nintendon't lets you USB load games.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have a food intolerance or allergy?

Yes - a food intolerance (52)
13.1%
Yes - a food allergy (43)
10.83%
Yes - an autoimmune disorder (i.e coeliac, colitis) (11)
2.77%
Yes - I have an intolerance and allergy (9)
2.27%
No (282)
71.03%

Watched Threads