The Student Room Group

PhD or Masters?

I’m in my final year of biomedical science, and I have no idea what to do after. So I’m considering all options. My dissertation supervisor thinks I would do well in a PhD course... I never thought of going into doing a PhD as I didn’t think I could hack staying in education for another 4 years. Although, I have been thinking of doing a masters in Haematology and transfusion science.

What are the outcomes of having a PhD? What jobs could I get from this? What universities are good for PhDs in Biomedical Science or other biology subjects?

What can I do with a masters in Haematology? Would doing a masters be worthwhile in terms of jobs and salary?
Original post by anix94
I’m in my final year of biomedical science, and I have no idea what to do after. So I’m considering all options. My dissertation supervisor thinks I would do well in a PhD course... I never thought of going into doing a PhD as I didn’t think I could hack staying in education for another 4 years. Although, I have been thinking of doing a masters in Haematology and transfusion science.

What are the outcomes of having a PhD? What jobs could I get from this? What universities are good for PhDs in Biomedical Science or other biology subjects?

What can I do with a masters in Haematology? Would doing a masters be worthwhile in terms of jobs and salary?

You're making the classic mistake of staying in education because you have no idea what you want to do instead and someone has told you you would do well. Start with what you want to do first. Do you want to work in research or the NHS or do something else entirely? If you're not sure maybe work for a bit first and figure it out.
Reply 2
Original post by alleycat393
You're making the classic mistake of staying in education because you have no idea what you want to do instead and someone has told you you would do well. Start with what you want to do first. Do you want to work in research or the NHS or do something else entirely? If you're not sure maybe work for a bit first and figure it out.

I know that I definitely want to stay in education; I enjoy studying and there aspects of biomedical science that I have enjoyed and would love to study further, but I want to know the outcomes of these courses before doing so. I would take a year out to work, but I have plans of moving and starting a family in a couple of years, so I’d rather study now as it would be easier than studying when I have many other responsibilities
Original post by anix94
I know that I definitely want to stay in education; I enjoy studying and there aspects of biomedical science that I have enjoyed and would love to study further, but I want to know the outcomes of these courses before doing so. I would take a year out to work, but I have plans of moving and starting a family in a couple of years, so I’d rather study now as it would be easier than studying when I have many other responsibilities

These are academic degrees with no set outcomes. People end up doing a range of different things.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending