Reapply to Cambridge after rejection? Watch

Lesleyislovely
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hi, I’ve just been rejected for a place at Cambridge to study veterinary medicine. I am so disappointed. I discovered that I had been put into the winter pool but was sadly still unsuccessful. I’m thinking of reapplying for admission in 2020. Please could I ask for advice for this? What are my chances? It seems I was so close. I’ve asked for feedback from my college and I suspect that my Natsci test might have let me down. I have all A* at GCSE. I also have an A* EPQ and I’m predicted A* in my A levels .... What more can I do? I have set my heart on Cambridge as I feel it’s the best fit for me. Thanks.
Doonesbury
  • Section Leader
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Lesleyislovely)
Hi, I’ve just been rejected for a place at Cambridge to study veterinary medicine. I am so disappointed. I discovered that I had been put into the winter pool but was sadly still unsuccessful. I’m thinking of reapplying for admission in 2020. Please could I ask for advice for this? What are my chances? It seems I was so close. I’ve asked for feedback from my college and I suspect that my Natsci test might have let me down. I have all A* at GCSE. I also have an A* EPQ and I’m predicted A* in my A levels .... What more can I do? I have set my heart on Cambridge as I feel it’s the best fit for me. Thanks.
Do you have any vetmed offers elsewhere?
Simbasoul
  • Community Assistant
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
So you have set your heart on a university, rather than set your heart on starting vet medicine? Because, what happens if you reapply, take a year out and are still in the same position next year?

Ask yourself what is more important, the place or the qualification - reality is, Veterinary Science, like Medicine, is taught and regulated by the governing body so the course is the same wherever you go - and rated the same - and respected the same.
Lesleyislovely
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Doonesbury)
Do you have any vetmed offers elsewhere?
Yes, Liverpool have offered a place - AAA. I have an interview for Nottingham and I'm still waiting to hear from Bristol. Thank you
Doonesbury
  • Section Leader
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Yes, Liverpool have offered a place - AAA. I have an interview for Nottingham and I'm still waiting to hear from Bristol. Thank you
Excellent! :yay:

I strongly recommend you take up one of those offers. Your future furry patients won't ask you which university you went to...
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
xiaochen
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I think that if you have your other offers, you should take them because it's vet med and is amazing which ever uni you study it at.

If you would like to look at my perspective as an engineering reapplicant (but don't think it should apply as much to med courses since offers from any uni is amazing): https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=5762226
Lesleyislovely
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Excellent! :yay:

I strongly recommend you take up one of those offers. Your future furry patients won't ask you which university you went to...
Thank you for your reply.

Whilst I comletely agree with you that my furry patients won't care I really feel strongly that the Cambridge course and its environment is best suited to me. I suppose what I'm really wanting reassurance about is my chance at reapplication. Assuming, of course, I achieve my predicted grades. I suspect my decision will need to be made on August 15th!
Doonesbury
  • Section Leader
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Thank you for your reply.

Whilst I comletely agree with you that my furry patients won't care I really feel strongly that the Cambridge course and its environment is best suited to me. I suppose what I'm really wanting reassurance about is my chance at reapplication. Assuming, of course, I achieve my predicted grades. I suspect my decision will need to be made on August 15th!
Just be aware the offer rate for Cambridge VetMed reapplicants seems to be about 50%. That's quite good but you still need to be very prepared for a further rejection.

Also, very few VetMeds reapply; only 7 or 8 each year. I'm willing to bet most of them have no other offers. And also most reapplicants will have self-selected so they are as strong as possible.

Edit to add: also I know some medschools don't like reapplicants if they have interviewed/offered the candidate previously. I don't know if there are similar concerns for vetschools, but it might be worth checking with Liverpool, etc in case that would be a problem if you reapply to them too.

And tagging Little Tail Chaser for thoughts on reapplying for VetMed with offers in hand...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Last edited by Doonesbury; 4 weeks ago
AnharM
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Just be aware the offer rate for Cambridge VetMed reapplicants seems to be about 50%. That's quite good but you still need to be very prepared for a further rejection.

Also, very few VetMeds reapply; only 7 or 8 each year. I'm willing to bet most of them have no other offers. And also most reapplicants will have self-selected so they are as strong as possible.

Edit to add: also I know some medschools don't like reapplicants if they have interviewed/offered the candidate previously. I don't know if there are similar concerns for vetschools, but it might be worth checking with Liverpool, etc in case that would be a problem if you reapply to them too.

And tagging Little Tail Chaser for thoughts on reapplying for VetMed with offers in hand...

Posted from TSR Mobile
A student who applies to Cambridge University in the first place, most likely has the other 4 offers (unless they're applying to LSE/Imperial, or applying for Medicine), due to having very strong GCSE's and predicted A-Levels.

Although, in the case of Vet Medicine, I'm not sure how competitive it is to get into the course.
Doonesbury
  • Section Leader
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by AnharM)
A student who applies to Cambridge University in the first place, most likely has the other 4 offers (unless they're applying to LSE/Imperial, or applying for Medicine), due to having very strong GCSE's and predicted A-Levels.

Although, in the case of Vet Medicine, I'm not sure how competitive it is to get into the course.
The OP is applying for VetMed which is only offered by a limited number of universities, far fewer than medicine, and is just as competitive.
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
AnharM
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
The OP is applying for VetMed which is only offered by a limited number of universities, far fewer than medicine, and is just as competitive.
Im not sure it’s as competitive as Medicine. Even though there are fewer universities doing the course, I would say the standards of Medicine applicants are higher than Vet Med students in average.
Simbasoul
  • Community Assistant
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Im not sure it’s as competitive as Medicine. Even though there are fewer universities doing the course, I would say the standards of Medicine applicants are higher than Vet Med students in average.
Based on what?! As a Careers Adviser I can tell you, It IS as competitive as Medicine, the standards of applicants ARE as high as for Medicine and there are actually fewer places across the country - so arguably it is more competitive.....
Doonesbury
  • Section Leader
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
VetMed offer rate at Cambridge 24%, Medicine 21%. Hardly much difference. Offer rates are low at the seven universities that offer VetMed, eg. RVC is 27% and Edinburgh is 21%.

Your assuming any Cambridge VetMed applicant will get 4 other offers is pushing it (not least because they can only apply to 4 vetmed courses total in the first place).

But my original point is the OP shouldn't assume they will get offers from Cambridge, or anyone else, if they reject their current offer(s) and reapply.
seren-q
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I applied to Oxford twice, after going to st andrews for a term and getting there, instantly realising i still wanted oxford, and applying again.

fundamentally, applicants who already have their A levels are much stronger than those with predicted grades only, especially since you dont have AS results to go on anymore

this will probably ruffle a few feathers, but my honest advice would be to try to defer one of your other offers and apply in a gap year, keeping that other offer open. i know cambridge doesnt accept applications from people currently at another university, but oxford does, so you can't do what i did.
JackMac2904
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by quinq)
I applied to Oxford twice, after going to st andrews for a term and getting there, instantly realising i still wanted oxford, and applying again.

fundamentally, applicants who already have their A levels are much stronger than those with predicted grades only, especially since you dont have AS results to go on anymore

this will probably ruffle a few feathers, but my honest advice would be to try to defer one of your other offers and apply in a gap year, keeping that other offer open. i know cambridge doesnt accept applications from people currently at another university, but oxford does, so you can't do what i did.
Just want to point out that you can't keep a deferred offer if you apply to other unis.
JackMac2904
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I don't want to pitch in on your decision regarding reapplying to Cambridge as I don't think I have any valuable advice, though I do understand the temptation as I myself was rejected from Oxford recently. However, if you do decide to take a gap year, make sure you have a lot planned for the year to keep yourself busy. Seeing all my friends going off to university starting their new lives and for the most part, forgetting about me, has left me in a very lonely situation, it's also very frustrating as it feels as though my life is currently on hold and going nowhere.
seren-q
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by JackMac2904)
Just want to point out that you can't keep a deferred offer if you apply to other unis.
ah that's a shame
Doonesbury
  • Section Leader
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by quinq)
this will probably ruffle a few feathers, but my honest advice would be to try to defer one of your other offers and apply in a gap year, keeping that other offer open.
No, UCAS doesn't let you apply to any universities whilst holding a deferred place.

(Original post by JackMac2904)
Ah, sorry - I should have scrolled down before I replied... :five:
seren-q
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
No, UCAS doesn't let you apply to any universities whilst holding a deferred place.

Ah, sorry - I should have scrolled down before I replied... :five:
yeah, sadly - i didnt know that, as oxford accepts applications from those at other unis so i simply did that. it was more of a "might as well" thing, as i was very happy with st andrews. but that wouldnt be possible with camb
Vinny C
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I was refused by Oxford after suggesting a candle would burn,,, but erratically under zero G. They said it would not due to lack of convection. I have since seen it done on the ISS and I was right. I await their apology... still.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Cambridge
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Thu, 4 Jul '19
  • University of Cambridge
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 5 Jul '19

Do you have a food intolerance or allergy?

Yes - a food intolerance (7)
11.29%
Yes - a food allergy (5)
8.06%
Yes - an autoimmune disorder (i.e coeliac, colitis) (3)
4.84%
Yes - I have an intolerance and allergy (4)
6.45%
No (43)
69.35%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed