The Student Room Group

Caught on my phone at work

I work at a supermarket and whilst I was on the till, and the store was dead, I checked my phone and a manager saw. He wasn't very impressed and told all of the other managers and since then they have been quite off with me and I notice them talking about it together. Do you think I will receive any discipline?
Do you know that they are talking about it when they are all together or are you feeling a bit paranoid? If you think they are then go and address it with the manager that saw you - apologise and tell them that you realise it was wrong and it was a momentary lapse and won't happen again - taking your phine out on the till is bad because it looks bad to the customers, but also you could be taking photos of the till etc which could be a safety issue. Identify that you understand this and nip it in the bud.
your manager sounds like the original slave to the system, some people are like that - just say you recieved a call from your child/wife/parents who wasnt feeling well??
Original post by frasermulliner
I work at a supermarket and whilst I was on the till, and the store was dead, I checked my phone and a manager saw. He wasn't very impressed and told all of the other managers and since then they have been quite off with me and I notice them talking about it together. Do you think I will receive any discipline?

Just apologise. Say you’re sorry you were on your phone, you were waiting, the store was empty, but it won’t happen again.
Original post by Simbasoul
Do you know that they are talking about it when they are all together or are you feeling a bit paranoid? If you think they are then go and address it with the manager that saw you - apologise and tell them that you realise it was wrong and it was a momentary lapse and won't happen again - taking your phine out on the till is bad because it looks bad to the customers, but also you could be taking photos of the till etc which could be a safety issue. Identify that you understand this and nip it in the bud.

I think it is more paranoia than anything, but I do understand the safety issues.
Original post by BlueIndigoViolet
your manager sounds like the original slave to the system, some people are like that - just say you recieved a call from your child/wife/parents who wasnt feeling well??

Slave to the system is an understatement.
Original post by frasermulliner

I doubt it, you just had a quick look at your phone. It's not like you recommend the customers go shop at your opposition instead. Sounds like your management have nothing better to do. I doubt you would be disciplined and if so I would personally look for somewhere else to work because they sound unreasonable.
Original post by Simbasoul

in all honesty its not Fort Knox lol - just apologise if he wont yield, make something up he cant take action on e.g. sick family member, urgent call you needed to take from bank etc.

Quick Reply