The Student Room Group

20 mins late to 40 min exam

They still let me take the exam but they have to report that i was late to the exam board, and apparently there's a chance Pearson will refuse to mark it. How likely is it that that'll happen :/

Scroll to see replies

Not too sure, we had people's phone's go off in one of our exams but they still marked their papers, as long as you did the test I think you should be fine.
Original post by YasudaSayo
They still let me take the exam but they have to report that i was late to the exam board, and apparently there's a chance Pearson will refuse to mark it. How likely is it that that'll happen :/

i think you'll be fine man
Generally speaking you will be fine - the rules state that someone can start an exam up to the first hour of the exam because nobody is allowed to leave an exam before the first hour is over. In a shorter exam, the time you can leave is obviously the end of the exam and from memory, you should be fine as you entered before anyone would have been able to leave (anywhere around the country). Pearson have to be informed and make the final decision but if there was a genuine reason as to why you were late, the exam officer will have reported this. Make sure you are not late for ANY more exams this season though (that means right through to the summer) as if there is any hint of a black mark against your exam numner, it could cause problems.
Sounds like they're trying to scare you so that you aren't late again. I wouldn't worry about it.
Thanks everyone!! Hopefully they let it slide because I was feeling pretty good about that exam, I think I got like 80-90% correct :wink:

goodluck!
Reply 6
Original post by Simbasoul
Generally speaking you will be fine - the rules state that someone can start an exam up to the first hour of the exam because nobody is allowed to leave an exam before the first hour is over. In a shorter exam, the time you can leave is obviously the end of the exam and from memory, you should be fine as you entered before anyone would have been able to leave (anywhere around the country). Pearson have to be informed and make the final decision but if there was a genuine reason as to why you were late, the exam officer will have reported this. Make sure you are not late for ANY more exams this season though (that means right through to the summer) as if there is any hint of a black mark against your exam numner, it could cause problems.

We started at 9:30 which is 30mins later than the rest of the country I assume. I got in at 9:50 which is 10 mins later than everyone around the country would've finished :/ (although it was 20 mins earlier than my class finished)
We started at 9:30 which is 30mins later than the rest of the country I assume. I got in at 9:50 which is 10 mins later than everyone around the country would've finished :/ (although it was 20 mins earlier than my class finished)

well damn..........
that may be a problem.....
Reply 8
Original post by certain some1
well damn..........
that may be a problem.....

lol great

They aren't just "threatening you" by telling you that Pearson might not agree to mark it - they are following the rules - Pearson genuinely might not agree to mark it as, in theory, you could have had 10 minutes on the phone to a friend somewhere else in the country, before you went in. Why were you late? It may depend on the reason for that....
I was under the impression all morning exams started at 9.30? My Pearson Edexcel maths exam yesterday started at 9.30.
But if not, yes, that would definitely be an issue...
Reply 11
Original post by Kinyonga
I was under the impression all morning exams started at 9.30? My Pearson Edexcel maths exam yesterday started at 9.30.

really??? that would be brilliant if that's the case
Original post by Kinyonga

No 9am is the official start time for a morning exam - but a centre can start it 30 minutes before or after that time - if they want to start earlier or later than 30 minutes, they ahve to apply formally to the exam board (the leeway of 30 minutes is to allow people who are late, or if an invigilator isn't available etc)
Reply 13
They aren't just "threatening you" by telling you that Pearson might not agree to mark it - they are following the rules - Pearson genuinely might not agree to mark it as, in theory, you could have had 10 minutes on the phone to a friend somewhere else in the country, before you went in. Why were you late? It may depend on the reason for that....

i know its a real thing and not just a threat, im just hoping they'll forgive me cuz i arrived before the exam ended (at least in my college, if the exam started at 9 around the country then im ****ed)
i had no proper reason legit just didnt hear my alarm go off, according to my mum it was going off for like an hour and i didnt hear it
lol great

you will probably end up being fine dont stress on it. just wait and see what happens.
Reply 15
No 9am is the official start time for a morning exam - but a centre can start it 30 minutes before or after that time - if they want to start earlier or later than 30 minutes, they ahve to apply formally to the exam board (the leeway of 30 minutes is to allow people who are late, or if an invigilator isn't available etc)

hmm so if i arrived after the official ending time am i ****ed, or is it okay because i arrived before my college's ending time
i know its a real thing and not just a threat, im just hoping they'll forgive me cuz i arrived before the exam ended (at least in my college, if the exam started at 9 around the country then im ****ed)
i had no proper reason legit just didnt hear my alarm go off, according to my mum it was going off for like an hour and i didnt hear it

Why on earth didn't she get you up then?!!!!!! You will just have to hope they are lenient then - if it had been a bus breaking down, for example, that would have been confirmed by the bus company and is effectively outside of your control.
Reply 17
Why on earth didn't she get you up then?!!!!!! You will just have to hope they are lenient then - if it had been a bus breaking down, for example, that would have been confirmed by the bus company and is effectively outside of your control.

she doesnt like me
hmm so if i arrived after the official ending time am i ****ed, or is it okay because i arrived before my college's ending time

You are in the former category, not the latter (because the college were still supposed to start at 9 am, but decided not to start till 9.30 - which they can do without asking the exam board but are still "officially" in the exam board start time, just running late). Hopefully Pearson will just accept that there was no malice - try not to stress - get on with the rest of your exams and get a louder alarm. There is nothing you cna do about this one now.
Reply 19
You are in the former category, not the latter (because the college were still supposed to start at 9 am, but decided not to start till 9.30 - which they can do without asking the exam board but are still "officially" in the exam board start time, just running late). Hopefully Pearson will just accept that there was no malice - try not to stress - get on with the rest of your exams and get a louder alarm. There is nothing you cna do about this one now.

alright :/ thank you for your help

Quick Reply

Latest