The Student Room Group

Any point to a student account?

Hey, going to uni (hopefully) in October and i already have an idea of how i want to manage my finances. I dont like nor intend to get an overdraft but i dont know if i should open a student account or just stick with my current accounts (At nationwide), i dont know if there is any point
Original post by Descentelias
Hey, going to uni (hopefully) in October and i already have an idea of how i want to manage my finances. I dont like nor intend to get an overdraft but i don't know if i should open a student account or just stick with my current accounts (At nationwide), i dont know if there is any point

Hey I would highly recommend you just open a nationwide one :yep:
it's super easy with a nationwide account already, you just click some things online :cool:
trust me, I didn't think I'd get into overdraft but with rent and buying food etc. over the summer and no student finance, you tend to get v close, I think I was like -£49 for a bit until I got paid etc.

There are also perks for student accounts.
With nationwide when I got mine, it had a free £1000 overdraft limit etc. and then I got delivered a box of uni goodies which was cute :smile:

Some others e.g. santander boast things such as a student 16-25 railcard. etc...
Would advise you take a look and go for it :smile:

:bump:
Original post by Descentelias
Hey, going to uni (hopefully) in October and i already have an idea of how i want to manage my finances. I dont like nor intend to get an overdraft but i dont know if i should open a student account or just stick with my current accounts (At nationwide), i dont know if there is any point

Hi @Descentelias

It is not a necessity to open a student account although you may find you'll get rewarded for opening one, such as a free rail or coach card. If you're moving away for uni you may find this useful when travelling around the country.

If you don't find that these freebies are useful and you want to stick with our current account there is no reason why not to I don't think.

What I would suggest is to look for an account with a high interest rate on income. That extra bit of money coming in every month from your bank could help a lot!

Hope this helps
Ryhan
Why would you not open one?

Original post by hallamstudents
What I would suggest is to look for an account with a high interest rate on income.

And how many of those are there...?
Original post by Duncan2012
Why would you not open one?

And how many of those are there...?

Hi @Duncan2012

It's something worth keeping an eye on and comparing! You'll find that some banks offer more than others!

Thanks
Ryhan
Original post by hallamstudents
Hi @Duncan2012

It's something worth keeping an eye on and comparing! You'll find that some banks offer more than others!

Thanks
Ryhan

Agreed (in theory!), but in practice students might get more value out of the perks such as a student railcard. As you say, always good to compare.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending