The Student Room Group

I can't get myself to do anything anymore

Hello
I'm currently studying accounting and financing, but since a couple days/weeks i lost all motivation to study/learn and everytime i actually do study i can't seem remember anything on a test. this has caused my grades to drop drastically and this makes me really stressed/wanting to quit. (Sorry for the spelling/grammar issues i'm Dutch)

Any tips or words of advice?
Original post by Nico Otte
Hello
I'm currently studying accounting and financing, but since a couple days/weeks i lost all motivation to study/learn and everytime i actually do study i can't seem remember anything on a test. this has caused my grades to drop drastically and this makes me really stressed/wanting to quit. (Sorry for the spelling/grammar issues i'm Dutch)

Hi Nico

Have you thought about talking to your teachers? Even if they cannot help you with the workload they will be able to put a plan together to help you stay motivated.
Also, talk to your student well-being services. They are confidential and won't tell anyone about any issues that you are facing.

If you can a quick fix to studying try and do short but intense revision sessions instead of long ones. Maybe revise for 1hour a day and stick to that. Some days you may find it easy to get through the hour, sometimes not, however after two weeks, you'll find that you've done 14 hours of good revision and not 30 hours, which included browsing Netflix/facebook.

Finally, reward yourself when you do a good study sesh. Have a cup of tea or watch an episode of your favourite show.

Hope that I was help

Dom :thumbsup:
Original post by Nico Otte
Hello

Hi Nico

Have you thought about talking to your teachers? Even if they cannot help you with the workload they will be able to put a plan together to help you stay motivated.
Also, talk to your student well-being services. They are confidential and won't tell anyone about any issues that you are facing.

If you can a quick fix to studying try and do short but intense revision sessions instead of long ones. Maybe revise for 1hour a day and stick to that. Some days you may find it easy to get through the hour, sometimes not, however after two weeks, you'll find that you've done 14 hours of good revision and not 30 hours, which included browsing Netflix/facebook.

Finally, reward yourself when you do a good study sesh. Have a cup of tea or watch an episode of your favourite show.

Hope that I was help

Dom :thumbsup:
Reply 3
Thanks for replying so quickly! I will go and try these things out, if none of these work then i get back to you and explain the situation.
Thanks in advance, Nico Otte
Reply 4
Hi Nico,

You seem to be going through bouts of mild depression.

Teachers and academics are not good at spotting that among there students and so cannot help. At this point, you shouldn't bother pushing things too much. If you can take a semester break and fix your personal relatonships, work, life and attend to your personal self, you will bounce back well once you're back.

Otherwise, find a personal tutor who can encurage and give you constant support needed to push through.
Hope that helps.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending