The Student Room Group

The 'Vote of No Confidence' Thread - Government wins VONC 325-306, May speech at 10pm

Following on from yesterday's events, Jeremy Corbyn has tabled a motion of no confidence in the Government. As a result of this, we're to have a vote take place later today to see if confidence is upheld in the Government.

The outcomes of the vote are explained in the following diagram, helpfully put together in an article explaining the VONC by the BBC:

Theresa May is widely expected to win this Vote of No Confidence, as many are predicted to vote along party lines for this one. As such, the DUP have pledged to support her in this, which should be enough to see her achieve a majority.

The debate is currently in session, with the main vote taking place at 7pm.

Resources

You can watch on ParliamentTV

You can also watch on BBC Parliament

House of Commons Twitter for rolling updates

BBC live updates

Previous Motions of No Confidence

Once more, any questions feel free to ask :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Corbyn has finished his address, moving his motion of no confidence. Theresa May is now delivering her response.

General debate has begun.
(edited 5 years ago)
lol Corbyn's putting across his own political ambitions before the nation - the last thing we need, a Brexit deal won't magically be resolved when Corbyn of all people starts an election. 99.9% sure May will win the confidence of the house. or if she somehow loses, another conservative gov will rule, (wont be able to form a majority).....

we need to extend Article 50 and put this vital q to the people ASAP
Original post by BlueIndigoViolet
lol Corbyn's putting across his own political ambitions before the nation

Indeed, this debate will be one that somewhat mimics conventional House ongoings. That is, it will see the main parties constantly referring to their records now.

Interesting that if this VONC does fail, then as per Labour guidance, they should look towards supporting a 2nd referendum. Whether Corbyn accepts that or not remains to be seen.
Original post by MrDystopia
Following on from yesterday's events, Jeremy Corbyn has tabled a motion of no confidence in the Government. As a result of this, we're to have a vote take place later today to see if confidence is upheld in the Government.

The outcomes of the vote are explained in the following diagram, helpfully put together in an article explaining the VONC by the BBC:

Theresa May is widely expected to win this Vote of No Confidence, as many are predicted to vote along party lines for this one. As such, the DUP have pledged to support her in this, which should be enough to see her achieve a majority.

The debate is currently in session, with the main vote taking place at 7pm.

Resources

You can watch on ParliamentTV

You can also watch on BBC Parliament

House of Commons Twitter for rolling updates

BBC live updates

Previous Motions of No Confidence

Once more, any questions feel free to ask :smile:

This is really helpful - thank you :adore:
The vote will likely be very close, unless there are significant enough rebel factions in either side of parliament.

It's all very entertaining though! :cookie:
Indeed, this debate will be one that somewhat mimics conventional House ongoings. That is, it will see the main parties constantly referring to their records now.

Interesting that if this VONC does fail, then as per Labour guidance, they should look towards supporting a 2nd referendum. Whether Corbyn accepts that or not remains to be seen.

Corbyn doesn’t really want a second referendum.
Reply 7
Can someone please explain to me how can there be a no confidence vote again so soon? I thought if the PM survives a vote of no confidence then a second one cannot be tabled against them within the next 12 months.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by Turquaz
Can someone please explain how can there be a no confidence vote again so soon? I thought if the PM survives a vote of no confidence then a second one cannot be tabled within 12 months.

They were two separate votes.

The first was a Conservative no confidence vote in Theresa May. That is, the party was deciding if she should still lead them. Only Tory MPs voted. If she had lost, the Tories would've remained in power, but with a new leader. She won, and no challenges are allowed for a year to her position as party leader.

Today is an Opposition no confidence vote in the Government. That is, the Government itself is up for the vote, and should the vote pass, then a new Government has to form (whether it's a new Tory one, or if not possible, via a General Election). Every MP in Parliament can vote in this.
(edited 5 years ago)
I foresee a dim political future:
No majority for May's deal
No majority for 2nd Referendum
No majority for no-deal Brexit
(Probably) no majority for vote of no confidence and general election.

May's only option is to ask for an extension to Article 50, during which nothing will happen because nobody can agree on anything. May will be forced out via a Tory vote of no confidence in a year's time, but any replacement regardless of their perspective on Brexit will not command a majority in Parliament. Even if Corbyn gets the votes for a vote of no confidence and a general election tonight, he almost certainly will not win an outright majority, and based on recent polls might not even get largest party, leaving Parliament even more split.

Frankly, it all looks rather terrible.
(edited 5 years ago)
Corbyn or May? It’s like choosing between a rock and hard place.
I seem to always forget this piece of information but the vote shall take place at approximately 7pm, and results will follow roughly 15/20 mins thereafter.
All of this uncertainty makes me feel like we're in the climax of a dramatic opera ...
Original post by Slowbro93
All of this uncertainty makes me feel like we're in the climax of a dramatic opera ...

I think it is more like waiting for the climax of a soap opera.

There have been people who have been watching Coronation Street since 1960 in the hope of finding out how it ends.
Original post by nulli tertius
I think it is more like waiting for the climax of a soap opera.

There have been people who have been watching Coronation Street since 1960 in the hope of finding out how it ends.

So one opera that I have in mind resulted in everyone not being resolved, the whole city burning in flames and it being a bit of a "**** you" to any form of political scructure (Rise and Fall of Mahagonny, check it out :smile: )

But this whole drama has made me seriously anxious, that's for sure ...
I don't like either. I prefer May. I hope she wins. No deal brexit is the only way forward I see. Remaniacs need to suck it up
Tom Watson is now speaking. We're getting close to the vote now.
The vote is now taking place for the no confidence vote in the Government. We can expect the result in around 15/20 minutes.

Edit: The Government has won the VONC, 325-306.
(edited 5 years ago)
Corbyn.jpg
The vote is now taking place for the no confidence vote in the Government. We can expect the result in around 15/20 minutes.

Edit: The Government has won the VONC, 325-306.

Not a surprising result, but it was a bit closer than I was expecting.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending