LEO_HINCK
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 months ago
I recently got an offer to study the Bsc in Development Economics from SOAS. SOAS is my first choice in the UK, however, I also have an offer the IE University in Madrid (private international University focused around business) and am currently struggling in choosing between the two. (Their extremely different universities and I am not sure what I would prefer in the long run)

I am mainly interested in understanding more about the student life at SOAS and how it is structured. I have read through many reviews and opinions and have found them to be extremely varied with most either loving SOAS or hating it and very few in between. I am now trying to figure out if I would be one of the people that would love SOAS or not. So I would be really grateful if you could give a short account of your experience of SOAS if you have studied at SOAS in the past or are currently studying there.

It would be great if you could include some of these points:

1)Quality of the lectures and the support given by the staff.
2)Whats the Social life like? As I am a foreign student I know close to nobody in London and was wondering what it is like getting to know new people at SOAS when you first get there.
3)Whats the nightlife like?
4)What is like living in London as a student?
5)Is it easy to find internships? and does the Uni help you find any?
6)For those of you who have graduated, whats the careers department like? Do they provide enough support?

I really appreciate you taking the time to answer some of these questions.

PS: To anyone else who might be going to study at soas beginning Sept. 2019 I would be down to get in contact, also regarding housing etc.
umbrellala
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by LEO_HINCK)
I recently got an offer to study the Bsc in Development Economics from SOAS. SOAS is my first choice in the UK, however, I also have an offer the IE University in Madrid (private international University focused around business) and am currently struggling in choosing between the two. (Their extremely different universities and I am not sure what I would prefer in the long run)

I am mainly interested in understanding more about the student life at SOAS and how it is structured. I have read through many reviews and opinions and have found them to be extremely varied with most either loving SOAS or hating it and very few in between. I am now trying to figure out if I would be one of the people that would love SOAS or not. So I would be really grateful if you could give a short account of your experience of SOAS if you have studied at SOAS in the past or are currently studying there.

2)Whats the Social life like? As I am a foreign student I know close to nobody in London and was wondering what it is like getting to know new people at SOAS when you first get there.
6)For those of you who have graduated, whats the careers department like? Do they provide enough support?

PS: To anyone else who might be going to study at soas beginning Sept. 2019 I would be down to get in contact, also regarding housing etc.
Hi, I'm in first year doing a language so I can't really comment on your department specifically, but I can talk a little bit about student life here.

1. I've found that all of my lectures have been useful and I have received the supported I've required, however I will say that with languages we tend to have a closer relationship with our lecturers/tutors and our subjects are generally more support-demanding if that makes sense. I do some non-language modules and generally they have been pretty great. Of course, I prefer some lecturers over others but they're all good at their jobs. I will say that some measures of teaching quality (such as TEF) are not particularly reliable for SOAS because it's been our student union's policy for a few years now to boycott the national student survey, so that can negatively impact those results.
2. I wouldn't worry at all about being an international student. SOAS has a huge percentage of international students (I think just over 50%?) so you'll fit right in in that respect. Most people, even most British students, don't know anyone else in the area or at the same uni, and some have never even been to the UK before, so we're all in similar situations and are all eager to meet people. Your social life is really what you make of it. It can be a little more difficult to meet people because SOAS doesn't put on a huge amount of events, and especially if you're not in halls of residence then it can be hard to find other students outside of uni in the huge amount of people that live in London. But if you put the effort in then you'll be completely fine
3. It really depends on how much money you have to spare. The nightlife is absolutely incredible, with literally hundreds of clubs and some of the best in the whole country, however it is expensive. Entry fees are rarely below £15 if you're going on a Friday/Saturday and are still about £10 on student nights or weeknights. Drinks are also ridiculously expensive, so most people (if they go out) just drink a lot before they go. Flat parties tend to be more popular than nights out because you don't have to spend as much money.
4. I personally love it. London is one of my favourite cities in the world and there is so much to do and so many different people to meet. My only criticisms are that it's expensive and it's not the most student-friendly city (at least in the UK). Other cities often have a lot of events catered towards students because students make up such a big proportion of the population in those cities, but in London we're a tiny percentage so there's not much specifically for us outside of uni events and societies.

Can't really answer 5 and 6 because I'm only first year. From what I've heard, the careers department isn't particularly great, but a lot of employers really like to see that you're from SOAS because it's such a unique uni and you really do have that 'global perspective' that they are always promoting. Of course, that's very attractive in the workplace these days.
If you have any other questions feel free to PM me!
Last edited by umbrellala; 8 months ago
Ife Ojo
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Hiya, I can't answer your questions because I haven't started yet. But I'm due to start in September (Development Studies). We should definitely get in touch x I'd be happy to help you settle into London
(Original post by LEO_HINCK)

X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• SOAS University of London
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 13 Jun '20

Would you turn to a teacher if you were being bullied?

Yes (37)
25.87%
No (106)
74.13%

Watched Threads