Career in Film or Law?

Watch this thread
15jwilliams
Badges: 7
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Hello, I am starting my UCAS forms and am at a crossroads of where to go for my career. I was initialy thinking law, as my english has always been strong, and I am intersted in the history of law and want to learn more about it as it affect me directly. My mum however wants me to go into film. I have always been attracted by cinematography (i do photography at A-LEVEL) and would love to direct/produce movies, however this is a very naive dream, as I am fully aware that the film industry is near on impossible to get a break in. I would go for film at university, however there is the element of 10 years down the line, being a camera assistant, earning below the average wage, knowing full well that i could be doubling the average wage in a law firm (not that money is any incentive to get into law - I genuinely am interested, the salary is just a perk of what is a very demanding career). I do photography, english and philosophy and am predicted A,A,A so my options for university are very open to take me on to my next chapter. Does anyone have any suggestions, and help provide a third party realistic view point to help me with my future.
Thanks
artful_lounger
Badges: 21
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 3 years ago
You don't need to do a law degree to pursue a career in law; equally you don't need a film degree to pursue a career in the film industry, although depending on the role it may help for the latter.

You may want to pursue a course which is of interest and allows you to develop appropriate academic skills to apply for an LPC with GDL included (or to take the SQE when that comes in) and is amenable to developing your film production interests alongside it; Anthropology may be of interest, since film is an key ethnographic technique, and it is a typical academic course otherwise. It also has some particular links with law in the realm of legal anthropology. However any number of degree subjects might be amenable to both aims, including English or Philosophy (which you are already studying).

LSE offers a course in Law and Anthropology which is a QLD as well, with some options involving film in anthropology, which might be appealing; I don't think the combination exists elsewhere though.
Last edited by artful_lounger; 3 years ago
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by 15jwilliams)
Hello, I am starting my UCAS forms and am at a crossroads of where to go for my career. I was initialy thinking law, as my english has always been strong, and I am intersted in the history of law and want to learn more about it as it affect me directly. My mum however wants me to go into film. I have always been attracted by cinematography (i do photography at A-LEVEL) and would love to direct/produce movies, however this is a very naive dream, as I am fully aware that the film industry is near on impossible to get a break in. I would go for film at university, however there is the element of 10 years down the line, being a camera assistant, earning below the average wage, knowing full well that i could be doubling the average wage in a law firm (not that money is any incentive to get into law - I genuinely am interested, the salary is just a perk of what is a very demanding career). I do photography, english and philosophy and am predicted A,A,A so my options for university are very open to take me on to my next chapter. Does anyone have any suggestions, and help provide a third party realistic view point to help me with my future.
Thanks
It might help to go along to some networking/open events around screenbased careers: https://www.screenskills.com/events/ is worth a look (and keeping an eye on) if you're in the UK. Talking to current professionals about how they recruit and their day to day work could help you decide either way
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA GCSE English Language Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (70)
19.07%
The paper was reasonable (137)
37.33%
Not feeling great about that exam... (108)
29.43%
It was TERRIBLE (52)
14.17%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed