PGCE with 3rd class degree...... Watch

Mumoftwo_2
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I want to go back and do a primary PGCE but when I went to uni I only achieved a 3rd class honours (media and communication studies)... I have heard if I do a years post grad certificate I can then apply and be considered for the PGCE...

Can anyone tell me if this is correct? Or has anyone gone down this route?? If not is thee another way into the PGCE.. as I donโ€™t have enough funding to go back and do the 3 year degree..... TIA... any advice would be great ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿป
04MR17
  • Community Assistant
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Mumoftwo_2)
I want to go back and do a primary PGCE but when I went to uni I only achieved a 3rd class honours (media and communication studies)... I have heard if I do a years post grad certificate I can then apply and be considered for the PGCE...

Can anyone tell me if this is correct? Or has anyone gone down this route?? If not is thee another way into the PGCE.. as I donโ€™t have enough funding to go back and do the 3 year degree..... TIA... any advice would be great ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿป
PGCE is a Post-Grad Certificate (in Education). Was there a separate qualification you were thinking of taking when you say post grad certificate?

There are other ways to qualify as a teacher instead of via a PGCE, but every route is competitive, especially when it comes to primary. So you might not fair well with a 3rd I'm afraid.

Have you thought about whether you could apply to do 3rd year again? You mention that you don't have funding for a 3 year course, but even with a third some universities may let you into a degree course with level 6 entry (3rd year). It's not very common and I'm not sure how practical it would be for you but it may be the best way to improve your prospects for teaching.
airfixfighter
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I'm pretty sure you can still get onto a PGCE - you just aren't able to get any bursaries? There's someone on my course with a third.

If you contact the universities you want to apply to, they can let you know if they'll accept you.

Or you if you contact the Open University, they do credit transfers so you might be able to do a top up year with them?
Mumoftwo_2
Rep:
?
(Original post by airfixfighter)
I'm pretty sure you can still get onto a PGCE - you just aren't able to get any bursaries? There's someone on my course with a third.

If you contact the universities you want to apply to, they can let you know if they'll accept you.

Or you if you contact the Open University, they do credit transfers so you might be able to do a top up year with them?
Thank you, which university do you do to?

apparently itโ€™s a government requirement for a 2:2 ๐Ÿคท๐Ÿผ*โ™€๏ธ Xx
airfixfighter
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Mumoftwo_2)
Thank you, which university do you do to?

apparently itโ€™s a government requirement for a 2:2 ๐Ÿคท๐Ÿผ*โ™€๏ธ Xx
I'm at UWTSD but I'm doing secondary science which is a proper shortage subject so I think they're more lenient with things!
Mumoftwo_2
Rep:
?
(Original post by airfixfighter)
I'm at UWTSD but I'm doing secondary science which is a proper shortage subject so I think they're more lenient with things!
Fantastic thank you so much for your help...
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have a food intolerance or allergy?

Yes - a food intolerance (97)
14.85%
Yes - a food allergy (71)
10.87%
Yes - an autoimmune disorder (i.e coeliac, colitis) (16)
2.45%
Yes - I have an intolerance and allergy (18)
2.76%
No (451)
69.07%

Watched Threads