Can I be kicked out of college for mental health? Watch

Hello19
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 months ago
Is it legal for a college to kick you out when you’re under 18 because your attendance is low due to mental health?
Jackudy3
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
If your attendance is low then it is grounds for them to kick you out, irrespective of anything else.

The decision is down to whoever is in charge at the individual college and it is assumed that they will take these mitigating factors under consideration.
Tootles
Badges: 21
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by Hello19)
Is it legal for a college to kick you out when you’re under 18 because your attendance is low due to mental health?
I'm going to assume "mental health" here is acting as a euphamism for "depression" - FFS stop using euphamisms. We've all got mental health, by virtue of having brains.

And no, you can't. Unless, that is, it affects your behaviour or performance such that you fail.

(Equality Act, 2010)
Pathway
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
Are you getting help for your mental illness? Is it well documented? Is your college aware of it?
nintysixthousand
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
they cant if its medical absence but you would not doctor notes etc
Hello19
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
(Original post by Tootles)
I'm going to assume "mental health" here is acting as a euphamism for "depression" - FFS stop using euphamisms. We've all got mental health, by virtue of having brains.

And no, you can't. Unless, that is, it affects your behaviour or performance such that you fail.

(Equality Act, 2010)
Sorry, 6 months late 😭 no I was not talking about depression, I was talking about anxiety/panic disorder & slight agoraphobia. My college ended up never technically kicking me out, but pushed me out and encouraged me to drop out whilst providing me with no help or support
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have grade requirements for your sixth form/college?

At least 5 GCSEs at grade 4 (34)
15.6%
At least 5 GCSEs at grade 5 (32)
14.68%
At least 5 GCSEs at grade 6 (45)
20.64%
Higher than 5 GCSEs at grade 6 (83)
38.07%
Pass in English and Maths GCSE (12)
5.5%
No particular grades needed (12)
5.5%