The Student Room Group

A level choices History!

Hello there. I’m currently in year 11 as will be going to college this year. My strongest subjects are English and History, and luckily for me I enjoy them the most too. I want to do A-level English language, History ( Modern) but I am unsure on a third. My sixth form has two history courses, which are modern and medieval) I was wondering if it is possible to take two history’s. I had a little session today on it and they advised I do something like sociology or philosophy honestly they are not for me.At all. They said it would be a lot of work, but I’m willing to put it on because I want to do history at uni too if possible. I just love it. Anyone ever done two histories? What is it the workload like with history in general? Any useful information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance

Scroll to see replies

Original post by TaliyahSR
Hello there. I’m currently in year 11 as will be going to college this year. My strongest subjects are English and History, and luckily for me I enjoy them the most too. I want to do A-level English language, History ( Modern) but I am unsure on a third. My sixth form has two history courses, which are modern and medieval) I was wondering if it is possible to take two history’s. I had a little session today on it and they advised I do something like sociology or philosophy honestly they are not for me.At all. They said it would be a lot of work, but I’m willing to put it on because I want to do history at uni too if possible. I just love it. Anyone ever done two histories? What is it the workload like with history in general? Any useful information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance

Doing two Histories would not look particularly good on a UCAS form - they would be too similar and Unis would prefer you to show a range of skills. What other GCSEs do you like?
Reply 2
Original post by harrysbar
Doing two Histories would not look particularly good on a UCAS form - they would be too similar and Unis would prefer you to show a range of skills. What other GCSEs do you like?

Well not really any. I did art, child care, history and triple science for GCSE. I don't enjoy science or child care, and art is definatley a no-no. So there isn't really much left. Would two English's (lit and lang) be to similar as well? If so I Would want to go for something new, maybe something like criminology or law perhaps.
Reply 3

both histories would actually look good on ucas form as if she achieved higher grades in those she would get higher ucas points
Well not really any. I did art, child care, history and triple science for GCSE. I don't enjoy science or child care, and art is definatley a no-no. So there isn't really much left. Would two English's (lit and lang) be to similar as well? If so I Would want to go for something new, maybe something like criminology or law perhaps.

Two Englishs wouldn't be ideal either, I can see why a new subject appeals. Yes, Criminology or Law would be good options.
Original post by KimNoel
both histories would actually look good on ucas form as if she achieved higher grades in those she would get higher ucas points

It would be very unusual and strange which is why the school are advising against it.
Reply 6
It would be very unusual and strange which is why the school are advising against it.

i think that if she wanted to do history at university it then would look good
Original post by KimNoel
i think that if she wanted to do history at university it then would look good

Are you a qualified careers adviser? I am
Reply 8
Original post by KimNoel

Oh. Well I do plan to work hard at a level. I'm aiming for AAA in what ever I end up choosing, but now I'm a tad confused on what to do due to conflicting opinions :smile: But I am worried I won't do well in a new option, but I suppose everyone gets nervous!
Reply 9
Oh. Well I do plan to work hard at a level. I'm aiming for AAA in what ever I end up choosing, but now I'm a tad confused on what to do due to conflicting opinions :smile: But I am worried I won't do well in a new option, but I suppose everyone gets nervous!

what would u be studying at alevel compared to now
Reply 10
Are you a qualified careers adviser? I am

no planning to do history at uni and you do need high history grades
Reply 11

They said they were against the amount of work, they didn't mention anything about that. I would have thought they would have mentioned it though.
Reply 12
They said they were against the amount of work, they didn't mention anything about that. I would have thought they would have mentioned it though.

they haven't said anything like that to me i would think that it would compliment each other in different ways
Reply 13
Original post by KimNoel
what would u be studying at alevel compared to now

Like subjects? English language, History and a third undecided.
Reply 14
Like subjects? English language, History and a third undecided.

what would you be studying in history alevel
Reply 15
You can’t do both Modern and Ancient History. They are one qualification, it’s just different module choices.
Original post by KimNoel
no planning to do history at uni and you do need high history grades

Good Luck with that
Reply 17
Good Luck with that

in history alevel that im studying im doing communist Russia and China
Reply 18
I don't take History, but in my school it's quite common to take both history courses - known as 'Double History' :wink: especially amongst people that want to do Law,Classics,Politics etc. However, it is a valid point that the spectrum of subjects you've chosen would appear to be too narrow - if you are certain that you want to apply for a history degree, id say go with it, otherwise maybe do a language/politics/psychology?
Reply 19
Original post by KimNoel
what would you be studying in history alevel

Oh i see! Well i think for the modern there is ww1-Weimar republic, British empire, fascism in italy and americas wars of Independence and a bit more that I can't remember. For medieval it's Henry V, war of the roses, Elizabeth I and stuff

Quick Reply

Latest