The Student Room Group

Teacher says that I don't need more than a grade 5

I'm doing a one-year GCSE Maths course course at college. Although I achieved a D the last time I took the GCSE, I wasn't really focused at all, and I'm pretty confident I can get a Higher Tier grade in the new system by the end of the year. I know I'm far from dumb and I'm constantly coding and scripting in my spare time. However, my teacher says that she won't be entering anyone into the Higher Tier exam, and claims that I won't need more than a 5 for the kind of courses that I want to do; computer science, or other sciences.

Is this true?
It may not have as much significance as a Maths A-Level but can still help in applying for Computer Science courses even if they don't care as much as you'd immediately think about Maths grades (they still do though don't get confused thinking they don't at all). If you feel confident you can do better than a 5 and show potential to do so in any tests you've done then I'd recommend seeing if you can be entered onto a higher paper. She is right to an extent but if you're confident don't settle for less.
Yeah, I think the college as a whole is more or less making a decision not to enter anyone for Higher Tier. As soon as I spoke to someone about being entered for the Higher Tier exam I got blank stares like I'd asked something that didn't compute. I've just sent an email to the Head of Maths with my tutor CCed in to state my case, and hopefully it works, but I really shouldn't have to push this hard just to study at the higher tier.

I've seen Comp Sci courses that require a B, but also, Comp Sci is just one of my possible options as I'm not entirely sure what I want to study, and above a grade 5 will definitely help for both the maths-heavier subjects and for getting into a good university.
Interesting, I didn't think it was possible to escalate things to the exam board? I wonder how far I'd get doing that.

When you say it doesn't lock me out of anything, do you mean to say that even the courses and unis who do require higher than a 5 are likely to look past it?
(edited 5 years ago)
Not sure if it is something that you would be willing to do but could you enter at a different college as an external candidate?

Quick Reply

Latest