Anyone else get an S, 1 STEP offer? Watch

zazerbayev
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Hey everyone,

I applied to Trinity, solved 5 questions in the interview, then got an offer from Peterhouse. I was slightly disappointed to be pooled, but that was overwhelmingly outweighed by having a Cambridge offer.

I logged on to UCAS today expecting only to need a 1,1 in STEP II-III, since I already have 5s in eight APs.

But instead I got S, 1 (in any order) + a 5 in AP Physics 2 + a 5 in AP Physics C: E&M. I must've really stuffed my interview.

Anyone else get an S,1 offer, or even worse, S,S?
Crow_M
  • Answer Heroes
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Offers for international applicants are usually quite high. I don't know much about Cambridge Maths but most of my friends had 1,1 offer in STEP II and III.
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
zazerbayev
Rep:
?
(Original post by Crow_M)
Offers for international applicants are usually quite high. I don't know much about Cambridge Maths but most of my friends had 1,1 offer in STEP II and III.
Do I count as an international if I'm an EU citizen going to school in the EU?
Crow_M
  • Answer Heroes
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by zazerbayev)
May I ask, what country are you studying in? I'm pretty sure that APs are used in the US.
Doonesbury
  • Section Leader
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Why are you doing AP?

Posted from TSR Mobile
zazerbayev
Rep:
?
(Original post by Doonesbury)
Why are you doing AP?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I live in the Netherlands, but I live in area with a lot of American expats so there is a school that offers AP.
Doonesbury
  • Section Leader
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I live in the Netherlands, but I live in area with a lot of American expats so there is a school that offers AP.
Which may be why they have given you a S,1 offer.
zazerbayev
Rep:
?
Which may be why they have given you a S,1 offer.
Why is this? Does Cambridge see AP as a lower standard than A-Level/IB, or are they just harsher on internationals?
Doonesbury
  • Section Leader
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Why is this? Does Cambridge see AP as a lower standard than A-Level/IB, or are they just harsher on internationals?
I imagine they simply want to ensure your maths is up to scratch.
Crow_M
  • Answer Heroes
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Or perhaps there's a lot of American applicants so they'd like to take the best people that are doing AP? I mean, Cambridge probably wants to attract the best international mathematicians...
Doonesbury
  • Section Leader
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Crow_M)
Or perhaps there's a lot of American applicants so they'd like to take the best people that are doing AP? I mean, Cambridge probably wants to attract the best international mathematicians...
Perhaps, but I don't think Americans are particularly overrepresented. There's a lot more postgrad Americans than undergrads.
Crow_M
  • Answer Heroes
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Perhaps, but I don't think Americans are particularly overrepresented. There's a lot more postgrad Americans than undergrads.
I agree, if anything, Chinese applicants are the majority at undergraduate international applications.
Ando_bando
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Thought I'd butt in, as I seem to be in a related, but contrasting situation.

I'm an American applicant who applied with AP's. I had 5s in Physics C (Both Mech and E&M), Calc BC, Stat, US History, European History, English Lang & Comp, and a 4 in French. I'm taking a few more AP's this year but none of them were particularly relevant to math, so they didn't make up my offer.

I too applied to Trinity. And it sounds like we did solved comparably many questions in the interview. (That is, presuming you meant that you did 5 questions during the test *before* the interview. Maybe I was particularly talkative and had a particularly short interview, but I would be greatly surprised (impressed), if you really did mean that you did 5 full questions *during* the interview. I think I did two.)

I however, got what seems to be the standard 1,1 in STEP's II,III offer. I would not thus put the blame for your higher offer strictly on the AP curriculum. (Although it certainly is possible that Peterhouse has a different opinion on AP than Trinity.) Having said that, it is possible that I had other parts of my application going for me that made the difference in my offer. (I did some neat stuff over the summers, worked through a few books, took some extra classes at a local college, made some cool software stuff. I was, however, never very good at contest math.)

While this does not directly relate to the offer above, I also must say that I find it odd that you are taking both Physics C and Physics 2 (and thus you have presumably taken Physics 1 as well.) At least in my understanding (and in the understanding of my school), these courses have a great deal of overlap, and while the 1&2 sequence is marginally broader in scope, the Physics C sequence just covers the same material in a more mathematical (caculus-y) way. Did you, perhaps, take one physics class in school and decide to take both exams just to get the extra 5?
sweeneyrod
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
But S, 1 is overkill for that purpose, since they take in plenty of people who miss the standard offer of 1, 1. One reason for higher offers is if you've already done STEP I (or II and III and are reapplying) and they want to make sure you don't slack off. I expect there are other reasons too, but I don't know any.
Doonesbury
  • Section Leader
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by sweeneyrod)
But S, 1 is overkill for that purpose, since they take in plenty of people who miss the standard offer of 1, 1. One reason for higher offers is if you've already done STEP I (or II and III and are reapplying) and they want to make sure you don't slack off. I expect there are other reasons too, but I don't know any.
Perhaps but OP hasn't already done STEP :iiam:
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Cambridge
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Thu, 4 Jul '19
  • University of Cambridge
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 5 Jul '19

Do you give blood?

Yes (41)
9.26%
I used to but I don't now (13)
2.93%
No, but I want to start (156)
35.21%
No, I am unable to (108)
24.38%
No, I chose not to (125)
28.22%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise