Official Solicitor Apprenticeship Thread Watch

fcmcmurray
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 months ago
(Original post by sahraazizzz)
Hey i want to do a seat im family law too, do you think your seat depends on what you put on your application
- say I put that I want to practice commercial law on my application Can I still do a seat in family law?
Your application probably will not make a difference. For starters our seats work via a 1 year rotation system, I would've ended up in family at some point anyway. Also, even if I hadn't got a 1 year seat as an apprentice, I would have probably got a 6 month seat as a trainee.

If you're really desperate to do a seat in family you could ask HR about it after you've been offered the position, but I'd say your chances don't hang on your initial application.

The one thing I'd say is make sure you're applying to places that offer family as a seat. Don't apply to a commercial/corporate focussed firm and be disappointed when you never do family - it's down to what the firm are practising and therefore it's your job to apply accordingly.
Last edited by fcmcmurray; 6 months ago
Salim_farah12
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by fcmcmurray)Not at all. For starters our seats work via a 1 year rotation system, I would've ended up in family at some point anyway. Also, even if I hadn't got a 1 year seat as an apprentice, I would have probably got a 6 month seat as a trainee.

If you're really desperate to do a seat in family you could ask HR about it after you've been offered the position, but I'd say your chances don't hang on your initial application.

The one thing I'd say is make sure you're applying to places that offer family as a seat. Don't apply to a commercial/corporate focussed firm and be disappointed when you never do family - it's down to what the firm are practising and therefore it's your job to apply accordingly.

(Original post by fcmcmurray)
Hi all

sophie_chu and I have seen a million and one odd threads about solicitor apprenticeships at specific firms or random questions being asked but never answered, so we thought we might as well start a central thread and get everyone thinking of applying for solicitor apprenticeships talking together rather than in splintered threads.

We're both first year apprentices at Withers LLP and students of the LLB in Legal Practice at BPP Holborn.

Please do not hesitate to ask any questions you have about the application process, the pros and cons of apprenticeships and working life, etc.

Keep checking our twitter page for daily updates on our day to day experiences: https://twitter.com/withers_apprent

Thanks!
(Original post by quirky editor)
How does th apprentice root differ from the degree root to becoming qualified?
how Competitive is it to get into an apprenticeship? I have AAB in my Alevels but no legal experience. How likely would I be to get in?

What Alevel did you get? And how old were you when you started your apprenticeship?
fcmcmurray
Rep:
?
(Original post by Salim_farah12)
(Original post by fcmcmurray)Not at all. For starters our seats work via a 1 year rotation system, I would've ended up in family at some point anyway. Also, even if I hadn't got a 1 year seat as an apprentice, I would have probably got a 6 month seat as a trainee.

how Competitive is it to get into an apprenticeship? I have AAB in my Alevels but no legal experience. How likely would I be to get in?

What Alevel did you get? And how old were you when you started your apprenticeship?
I found it was quite competitive for all the ones I applied for but I imagine that smaller or lesser known firms or in house positions had less applications than the city firms.

I really can't say how likely you would be to get in - its not like a university application where your grades are the main thing that decides whether you get an offer. I got 3 A's but I applied during Y13 so they were just predicted rather than realised. I was 18 when I started, straight out of school.

Law work experience is not a prerequisite for applying, an interest in law and want to become a solicitor is though. Just try and expand your experience of the main competencies. Be able to tell someone how and when you have demonstrated leadership, hard work, dedication, achievement in the face of adversity, good time management skills, etc.
EGowlettSSaber
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
Hi all

Evie and Sabrina here, we're second years at Withers and are keen to start contributing to the thread from a second year's perspective!
mollzies
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
Hey! I’m really interested in doing a solicitors apprenticeship in the future, but I was just wondering about where your accommodation would be, whether you moved away from home and generally what your experience was of firstly going into the apprenticeship and if you knew anyone before from the application process, Thank you!!
Salim_farah12
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by mollzies)
Hey! I’m really interested in doing a solicitors apprenticeship in the future, but I was just wondering about where your accommodation would be, whether you moved away from home and generally what your experience was of firstly going into the apprenticeship and if you knew anyone before from the application process, Thank you!!
I was also wondering if you could apply to apprenticeships outside from where you live? For example I live in London but can I still apply to firms in Birmingham?
fcmcmurray
Rep:
?
(Original post by mollzies)
As we've explained before, accommodation is not included. The course is a degree, yes, but it is offered by graduate institutions and these rarely have dedicated halls you can use. The majority of apprentices I know are living at home with their parents. It is your choice to move away from home, and I would say that beyond some basic HR support you would need to source your own accommodation - i.e renting your own flat/a room OR be prepared to commute a reasonable distance. This is why the question of losing a university experience comes up so often from people looking to apply for an apprenticeship; there are no halls and no student flats dedicated to the apprentices at one uni or firm. Obviously, there's nothing to stop you renting with a load of your apprentice friends if you all decide you want to do that.
I was also wondering if you could apply to apprenticeships outside from where you live? For example I live in London but can I still apply to firms in Birmingham?
You can absolutely apply outside of where you live, but you have to also be prepared to commute that distance for work and potentially commute to your university if either ULaw or BPP don't have a campus near to your house/in your home town.

As for my experiences, I found that it was a positive introduction but that my nerves were definitely very frayed at the beginning. I had come straight from school, I was commuting every day for the first time and I had never worked in an office before. I think I settled in very quickly though. Because I had no prior ideas about what I would be doing at the firm I was a bit of a clean slate when I started, I was prepared to take anything on.

EGowlettSSaber and sophie_chu will definitely have their own experiences to add.
Salim_farah12
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
Hi I have applied to one of the apprenticeships but haven’t heard back from them, do they wait until the closing date to reply ?

Do you reckon I should email them to ask?
fcmcmurray
Rep:
?
Hi I have applied to one of the apprenticeships but haven’t heard back from them, do they wait until the closing date to reply ?

Do you reckon I should email them to ask?
Generally, I got the impression when I was applying that they wouldn't even start looking at applications until the closing date. I would wait until a week or so after you were told you'd hear back and then email graduate recruitment for an update.

In the mean time they might email all of the applicants and tell them they're really busy and have had a high number of applications this year so everyone needs to wait - that happened to me twice.
Haider_A
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
Any tips for a phone interview?
Salim_farah12
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by Haider_A)Any tips for a phone interview?

Which firm do you have an interview with ?
Haider_A
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by Haider_A)Any tips for a phone interview?

Which firm do you have an interview with ?
Ashurst
Salim_farah12
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by Haider_A)
Ashurst
How long did they take from the time you submitted your application?
Oleadbeatter
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
When is the open date for 2019 applications to Withers?
fcmcmurray
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 months ago
(Original post by Oleadbeatter)
When is the open date for 2019 applications to Withers?
As we've said before, Withers hasn't decided whether it is recruiting solicitor apprentices this year. As time moves on, I would say it is looking increasingly unlikely and you should source other firms to apply to.

Things may change though, so keep an eye on this thread and the Withersworldwide website too.
sahraazizzz
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Hi hasn’t anyone applied to Charles russel Speechlys and have they replied yet? Thanks
Jonsieee
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Hey, I applied and haven't heard anything yet! I don't know if it means that were rejected because the assessment day is in the next few weeks.
Receptacle
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
I was rejected a few days ago, so might be a good thing if you haven’t heard anything!
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Jonsieee
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by Receptacle)
I was rejected a few days ago, so might be a good thing if you haven’t heard anything!
Sorry to hear that, but I hope your other options turn out alright. Does anyone know if solicitor apprenticeships are really competitive, and should i be looking at it as a serious option in comparison to my uni places? I've currently got to the assessment centre stage of the Eversheds Sutherland apprenticeship.
sophie_chu
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by Jonsieee)
Sorry to hear that, but I hope your other options turn out alright. Does anyone know if solicitor apprenticeships are really competitive, and should i be looking at it as a serious option in comparison to my uni places? I've currently got to the assessment centre stage of the Eversheds Sutherland apprenticeship.
The solicitor apprenticeships are very competitive but not as competitive as the graduate training contracts, which I think are an absolute madness if you consider the average applicant to offer ratio. I think that would answer both of your questions ;-)
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have grade requirements for your sixth form/college?

At least 5 GCSEs at grade 4 (65)
14.32%
At least 5 GCSEs at grade 5 (70)
15.42%
At least 5 GCSEs at grade 6 (87)
19.16%
Higher than 5 GCSEs at grade 6 (183)
40.31%
Pass in English and Maths GCSE (21)
4.63%
No particular grades needed (28)
6.17%