What is the city of Birmingham like?

Watch this thread
rootgroves
Badges: 10
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Hi! basically what the question says
I've received offers from all 5 of my choices for Biological Sciences, but the only two I'm actually considering are Birmingham and Bristol. I'm planning on firming Birmingham and putting Bristol as my insurance, but one of my biggest concerns is the actual city. Bristol is absolutely lovely, and what I've seen of Birmingham is as well, but people always talk about how Birmingham is an absolute dump. Is there any truth to that statement? Any help would be greatly appreciated
harrysbar
Badges: 21
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by rootgroves)
I've received offers from all 5 of my choices for Biological Sciences, but the only two I'm actually considering are Birmingham and Bristol. I'm planning on firming Birmingham and putting Bristol as my insurance, but one of my biggest concerns is the actual city. Bristol is absolutely lovely, and what I've seen of Birmingham is as well, but people always talk about how Birmingham is an absolute dump. Is there any truth to that statement? Any help would be greatly appreciated
I'll be honest, my son went to Birmingham and I did think the city was a real dump...and in second year the students normally live in Selly Oak which is grim. Bristol is a much nicer city in my opinion but the Birmingham campus is nice and lots of people fall in love with that. To be fair, it does have a really good shopping centre (Bullring) and apparently good nightlife.

Put it this way, I don't think you should Firm Birmingham without visiting the city itself and not just the campus.
MrMoment
Badges: 13
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
I live less than an hour away from Birmingham and let me tell you, yes, it’s a dump. Albeit, it has good shopping facilities and a decent nightlife, but Bristol is much nicer in my opinion.
Dggj_19
Badges: 11
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
I've lived in Birmingham my entire life, so I have a little bit of input on this. The city CENTRE is great - really good transport links, more great places to eat and drink that you could ever fully visit, the Bullring for all your shopping, and so on. But the city centre itself is absolutely tiny. There's basically two patches of grass in the entire city worth a damn, and outside of a handful of art museums like IKON there's really not a great deal to actually do. The canal is alright, though, and just a great place to be. Birmingham Uni itself is a nice campus, but it's a 45m walk from the city, so be prepared to be taking the train or bus a lot. All in all its an alright city but outside of the city centre really isn't that great, its just grotty suburban township.I've got a french exchange friend who goes to Birmingham and he's really, really tired of the city already. Bristol, on the other hand, has its campus dead centre in the middle of the city and it's generally much more of a student city.
Last edited by Dggj_19; 3 years ago
wayne2020z
Badges: 4
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
Birmingham is a dump its a run down ****hole city backwards people crime levels high lots of drugs and racism and chavs the place is lost.
Mustafa0605
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
There’s many nice areas, and there’s many run down areas to avoid. As long as you won’t live in a run down area, it’s good
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA A-level Physics Paper 1 exam go?

Great! Feeling positive (95)
28.44%
It went fairly well (157)
47.01%
It didn't go too well (55)
16.47%
TERRIBLE! (27)
8.08%

Watched Threads