The Student Room Group
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge

[MPhil Cambridge] Change Master's Thesis project

Hi,

I have been accepted in a MPhil in Cambridge with a particular research proposal. However, I wonder if I can change the research proposal to a different field without affecting my admission.

Thanks!
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by proyecthd
Hi,

I have been accepted in a MPhil in Cambridge with a particular research proposal. However, I wonder if I can change the research proposal to a completely different field without affecting my admission.

Thanks!

It's much more of a problem if you elect to do it now than if you do it one the course. It's somewhat subject dependent, but basically a complete change could well affect your admission. The issue is that within a single Masters programme, there are still a great diversity of subject areas. You can't have everyone on the MPhil IR researching some version of say Brexit. There will only be a coupe of academics set up to do contemporary European politics, and the Naval history expert has to supervise someone. However, once you are in and they have some knowledge of your academic ability and needs, it's much easier to make an informed change.
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge
Reply 2
Original post by threeportdrift
It's much more of a problem if you elect to do it now than if you do it one the course. It's somewhat subject dependent, but basically a complete change could well affect your admission. The issue is that within a single Masters programme, there are still a great diversity of subject areas. You can't have everyone on the MPhil IR researching some version of say Brexit. There will only be a coupe of academics set up to do contemporary European politics, and the Naval history expert has to supervise someone. However, once you are in and they have some knowledge of your academic ability and needs, it's much easier to make an informed change.

Thank you very much for the answer!

Well, in that case probably the best thing is to do nothing right now and in the very beginning of the course try to switch the topic. Probably I can contact some possible supervisors in advance to see if they have time for me

What do you think?
Original post by proyecthd
Thank you very much for the answer!

Well, in that case probably the best thing is to do nothing right now and in the very beginning of the course try to switch the topic. Probably I can contact some possible supervisors in advance to see if they have time for me

What do you think?

Which programme? It doesn't really work like that. You need to start the course, meet your Supervisor, establish your academics so they know how you work. Then when you start to discuss your dissertation, which probably won't be until towards the end of Michaelmas, have a convo with your Supervisor about your alternative proposal. It's then a matter of negotiation to see if there is anyone more appropriate who can supervise.
Isn't this somewhat teetering on academic dishonesty considering they accepted you based on your original research proposal (in addition to other aspects of your application, of couse)? Furthermore, doesn't this have bearing on the particular professor that the Degree Committee will appoint as your supervisor?
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by mimibearxo
Isn't this somewhat teetering on academic dishonesty considering they accepted you based on your original research proposal (in addition to other aspects of your application, of couse)? Furthermore, doesn't this have bearing on the particular professor that the Degree Committee will appoint as your supervisor?

Well I would not call it like that because I am still interested on the original proposal but I think that I could probably benefit from the mentioned change.

Quick Reply

Latest