beckaza
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hello,
I am interesting in applying to neurosurgery and am currently doing a masters in neuroscience. I had a few questions which I would be obliged if somebody could help me with...

1. During my elective in a third-world country, I had the opportunity to do a quality improvement project, I designed and led the project on my own, I was wondering if this something that would look good on my application ( I hope to re-audit and close the loop before putting this on my application)

2. I have published a case report in a reputed journal and have a few papers (with me as co-author) in the pipeline, how good would this be for my application, i am hoping to become a first author in a project soonish but was wondering where I stand now

3. I hope to do a formal postgraduate teaching degree in the future as well but for the time being would it be worthwhile investing in certificate courses from coursera/edx etc, would this be a value addition to my CV?

4. Finally, how important are medical school grades in the application process, I have worked on every other aspect of the application process but my grades are not something I can change! I was wondering how important this would be in the grand scheme.

I am sorry for the long post, any help would be really appreciated!
Thanks
ecolier
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Interestingly there was a very similar question for a few days ago: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=5755454. The replies may have been helpful.

(Original post by beckaza)
Hello,
I am interesting in applying to neurosurgery and am currently doing a masters in neuroscience. I had a few questions which I would be obliged if somebody could help me with...

1. During my elective in a third-world country, I had the opportunity to do a quality improvement project, I designed and led the project on my own, I was wondering if this something that would look good on my application ( I hope to re-audit and close the loop before putting this on my application)
Definitely. For CST and CMT (now IMT) it would have been worth some points. Make sure you close the loop (QIP is literally you have to re-audit, otherwise how do you know you have improved the quality?! It will just be an audit then) and present it.

2. I have published a case report in a reputed journal and have a few papers (with me as co-author) in the pipeline, how good would this be for my application, i am hoping to become a first author in a project soonish but was wondering where I stand now
It depends on what type of journal it is (is it PubMed-cited?). For a case report it may not be worth as much points.

3. I hope to do a formal postgraduate teaching degree in the future as well but for the time being would it be worthwhile investing in certificate courses from coursera/edx etc, would this be a value addition to my CV?
You do get more points for having done post-grad courses.

4. Finally, how important are medical school grades in the application process, I have worked on every other aspect of the application process but my grades are not something I can change! I was wondering how important this would be in the grand scheme.
It's honours / distinctions / merits that's useful. If you have won a prize that's good too.

I am sorry for the long post, any help would be really appreciated!
Thanks
Here are some scoring criteria (not neurosurgery) for your information:
(IMT) https://www.imtrecruitment.org.uk/re...cation-scoring
(CST) https://www.pathway.oriel.nhs.uk/Web...dvert%20V3.pdf

More information available here:
https://www.yorksandhumberdeanery.nh...t3_recruitment

If itsbrainsurgery is free she'll advise too (she is super busy though)
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (706)
33.93%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (889)
42.72%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (393)
18.89%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (93)
4.47%

Watched Threads