The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Science99999
Views on this matter? A selective school dedicted for mechanically preparing students for Oxbridge interviews, yet exploit the "Disadvantaged background card". The 41 offer holders are not exceptionally bright, nor do they have a more competitive or academic calibre to unsuccessful applicants. Yes, perhaps a minority of the 41 (around 10) deserved their place, although the media positively parades this impression of social mobility, ignoring the robotic preparation; yet the media shun public schools.

Interesting.
The 41 offer holders are not exceptionally bright, nor do they have a more competitive or academic calibre to unsuccessful applicants...

And you know this for certain how, exactly?

Sounds like someone is well jel... :erm:
Did half of them get in for land eco or middle Eastern studies? Because unless your doing stem/law or a proper subject you can't expect them to be all that bright.
The 41 offer holders are not exceptionally bright

Yes, perhaps a minority of the 41 (around 10) deserved their place

Are you an Oxbridge admissions tutor?

Are you qualified to comment on the ability of Oxbridge applicants?
I mean I haven't read anything into this so this is the first I've heard about it, but as far as I know Oxbridge contextualise their offers and rarley offer lots of places to one college, so I doubt they would've done that to this school, if they kids weren't smart enough to get it.
Oxbridge has alot of applicants and it's not uncommon that smart people get turned away in place of less smart pupils, but they don't have much to go off - grades, a test and an interview.
also I don't see why it's wrong for a school to prepare you. I dont even disagree with private schools doing it. so long as they properly contextualise it, all your doing is increasing your own odds
It was happily advertised on the radio, and after reading into reports on the school, in addition to anecdotal evidence from ex-pupils, the school is not what it seems from the outside perspective. It isn't jealousy, it is about preaching that specific institutions like this are perhaps more successful than their public school counterparts (Having had more offers than Harrow and Eton), yet less competitive students. Brampton Manor have access to a rich network of opportunities due to their status, as well as a plethora of Oxbridge knowledge. Let us not forget it is another London school; therefore widening the gap between the North and South.

I'm not doubting that some state schools - even comps - have their ways of getting more students into Oxbridge than some private schools. But I'm very interested to hear how exactly you can definitively know that those exact applicants that particular year were less competitive than other applicants :wink:
It was happily advertised on the radio, and after reading into reports on the school, in addition to anecdotal evidence from ex-pupils, the school is not what it seems from the outside perspective. It isn't jealousy, it is about preaching that specific institutions like this are perhaps more successful than their public school counterparts (Having had more offers than Harrow and Eton), yet less competitive students. Brampton Manor have access to a rich network of opportunities due to their status, as well as a plethora of Oxbridge knowledge. Let us not forget it is another London school; therefore widening the gap between the North and South.

According to last year's OFSTED report, Brampton Manor has:
- a greater than average proportion of pupils with SEN and other disabilities
- a smaller proprtion of pupils who speak English as a first language
- a greater proportion of BME pupils
- a greater proportion of pupils than average who qualify for free school meals

The average UK student attending a private school is massively more likely to get a place at Oxford than the average state schooled pupil - the proportion of privately educated students is no less than six times greater than their representation in the secondary school sector overall.

Yet you are arguing that Brampton Manor has some kind of unfair advantage over Eton and Harrow.
This is an extraoridnary claim. Can you provide your sources of evidence? Thanks
guys he's trolling at this point i think it's best to ignore him
Reply 10
Original post by Blue_Cow
Are you an Oxbridge admissions tutor?

Are you qualified to comment on the ability of Oxbridge applicants?

He's an Oxford reject, from Harrow.

With no beef whatsoever. Oh no.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by Doonesbury
He's an Oxford reject.

With no beef whatsoever. Oh no.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by SanityGone
Salty.

Salty beef

Corned beef?
Reply 12
Salty beef

Corned beef?

Rancid beef.
Original post by Doonesbury
Rancid beef.

PRSOM :lol: :toofunny:
Reply 14
(Having had more offers than Harrow and Eton), yet less competitive students.

2017 Cambridge applications data
Brampton Manor : 46 applicants : 8 offers : 17% offer rate
Eton College : 73 applicants : 27 offers : 37% offer rate
Harrow School : 22 applicants : 10 offers : 45% offer rate

PRSOM :lol: :toofunny:

Also Harrow beef is definitely the saltiest. OP seems to like the taste.
(edited 5 years ago)
Salty beef

Corned beef?

PRSOM :sad:
Salty beef

Corned beef?

Spam :awesome:

:nospam:
Views on this matter? A selective school dedicted for mechanically preparing students for Oxbridge interviews, yet exploit the "Disadvantaged background card". How can institutions including Westminster be riddiculed for their horrendously high Oxbridge admission rate being described as social inequality, yet schools like Brampton are not?

The 41 offer holders may not exceptionally bright, nor do they have a more competitive or academic calibre to unsuccessful applicants. Yes, perhaps many did deserve their place, although the media positively parades this impression of social mobility, ignoring the robotic preparation; yet the media shun public schools. Unarguably, there needs to be crystal transparency towards the assessment of Oxbridge applications, without being misguided by falsified statistics.

I think it depends on the sort of pupils going there and their backgrounds. I’m sure Oxford have done research into it, and come to the conclusion that there is a disadvantage. If so, I see no unfairness it it, after all if you look at the statistics only 7% of the UK population go to private schools, but almost half who get in are from those backgrounds. If anything there is an extremely large disadvantage to people from state backgrounds, so there is nothing wrong with contextualising their grades.
well done to them, they deserve it for all their hard work 👍
Reply 19
Original post by OxFossil

- a greater proportion of pupils than average who qualify for free school meals

Indeed, and half of all these offer holders are on free school meals.

Considering only about 1% of those having FSM usually have high attainment that's quite a contextual achievement.

BBC News - London state school secures 41 Oxbridge offers
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-46900154

https://www.cao.cam.ac.uk/behind-the-headlines/free-school-meals-and-he

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest