Frequent ice skater, but can't skate Watch

Snfkin
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I've been skating regularly for about a year now. Sometimes every day a week, but always at least once/twice a week.

Still, my balance and coordination seems to be so wack that even this level of practice hasn't made me a better ice skater. The first hour of every session, I'm falling on the spot, clinging to the wall. After that, I can generally skate decently and fluidly. However, the next time I step on the rink (which could literally be the very next day), I revert back to being a total beginner.

I even have my own skates and I really love this sport, but I wonder if I am predestined to fail at it. I have friends who go maybe once/twice a YEAR and are still better than me.

I have had four lessons with two different coaches. I noticed that neither of them addressed my biggest issue, which is consistency (like I said, after a while I can generally skate fine, but the very next time I try, I'm back in the hole). They sort of just repeatedly taught me HOW to skate (which I'm largely aware of), and seemed confused when the very next lesson, I'd be falling everywhere...?

Any skaters here who can give me advice?
Drewski
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Without seeing you it's hard to diagnose what's going on.

Given that after a while you can skate normally, it doesn't sound like an inherent co-ordination issue, but sounds more like a confidence one. That you get yourself in a stress (whether you feel it or not) before you 'perform', which leads you to feeling uptight and tense.

Have you tried doing things to help you relax when going out on the ice? Listening to music / podcasts etc? I know you're not supposed to, but I always have an ear in when I go.
Little Popcorns
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Maybe you have a balance and coordination condition if you feel like you’ve had enough lessons? Speak to your teacher see if they think you’re matching up
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Snfkin
Rep:
?
(Original post by Drewski)
Without seeing you it's hard to diagnose what's going on.

Given that after a while you can skate normally, it doesn't sound like an inherent co-ordination issue, but sounds more like a confidence one. That you get yourself in a stress (whether you feel it or not) before you 'perform', which leads you to feeling uptight and tense.

Have you tried doing things to help you relax when going out on the ice? Listening to music / podcasts etc? I know you're not supposed to, but I always have an ear in when I go.
This is definitely plausible as during the first half i'm always lingering by the wall lol! However, I am prone to falling a lot at the beginning too, so this has saved me many times....

I'd love to listen to music, but my rink enforces its rules very strictly. I'd also probably fall on my side and shatter my phone lmao...
Drewski
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Snfkin)
This is definitely plausible as during the first half i'm always lingering by the wall lol! However, I am prone to falling a lot at the beginning too, so this has saved me many times....

I'd love to listen to music, but my rink enforces its rules very strictly. I'd also probably fall on my side and shatter my phone lmao...
It does sound more confidence than coordination, but the latter may still play a part in it.

Do you have any other issues your balance? Do you find it affects you at any other time?
Snfkin
Rep:
?
(Original post by Drewski)
It does sound more confidence than coordination, but the latter may still play a part in it.

Do you have any other issues your balance? Do you find it affects you at any other time?
I do tend to trip over my feet and tilt even on solid ground lol but it’s not that big of a problem, usually when I’m tired or distracted. Other than that, not really...
Snfkin
Rep:
?
Anyone got any tips on how to improve confidence then? Like I said, I WILL fall at the beginning if not holding the wall.

Fell the other day straight into my stomach and got cuts all over my abdomen. Literally felt like throwing up. Falls do kind of make me lose confidence?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have a food intolerance or allergy?

Yes - a food intolerance (88)
14.52%
Yes - a food allergy (63)
10.4%
Yes - an autoimmune disorder (i.e coeliac, colitis) (15)
2.48%
Yes - I have an intolerance and allergy (16)
2.64%
No (424)
69.97%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed