I want to be a lawyer can you please advise me on subjects to take? Watch

Welshgal2004
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 months ago
Hi, I’m just at the stage of choosing my GCSE choices and I’m not 100% what to take, i am very interested in law and order and I have no clue what subjects to take! I have to take English language and literature, Welsh, all three sciences, religious education and maths, they are the compulsory ones. I am also torn between history and Geograohy as I have heard they are good subjects to take but I don’t think I can do both? Help needed and fast!!!!!
harrysbar
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
(Original post by Welshgal2004)
Hi, I’m just at the stage of choosing my GCSE choices and I’m not 100% what to take, i am very interested in law and order and I have no clue what subjects to take! I have to take English language and literature, Welsh, all three sciences, religious education and maths, they are the compulsory ones. I am also torn between history and Geograohy as I have heard they are good subjects to take but I don’t think I can do both? Help needed and fast!!!!!
Hi, just to let you know that History is the subject that Law schools like the most, so if you are good at History, you should choose it over Geography.
J Papi
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
J-SP What GCSEs do Magic Circle firms look for these days? Is it triple science? Classics? PE?
J Papi
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
(Original post by J-SP)
Lol they don’t look at GCSE subjects
Ye that's what I thought
Welshgal2004
Rep:
?
(Original post by harrysbar)
Hi, just to let you know that History is the subject that Law schools like the most, so if you are good at History, you should choose it over Geography.
Thanks very much, that’s made it easier to choose, do you know much about law?
harrysbar
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
Thanks very much, that’s made it easier to choose, do you know much about law?
Yup, I have worked as a careers adviser and also have a daughter who wanted to be a solicitor (she's working in marketing now but that's another story ). History is a good subject to take at A level (if you end up liking your GCSE and being good at it) so if you're torn between History and Geography, I would recommend History.
YaliaV
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
It really doesn’t matter.
Welshgal2004
Rep:
?
Wow thanks for the useful advise is there any other good subjects you recommend taking?
Sinnoh
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
GCSEs - they don't matter, really.
Keep in mind, if you're really interested in one of them, you don't really need GCSE history to do A-level history but you'll probably need GCSE geography to take A-level geography. I'm more of a history person myself

Just to save you from asking this in 2 years' time, A-levels barely matter either. Some essay-based subjects would be helpful though.
Welshgal2004
Rep:
?
(Original post by J-SP)
What’s good for you?
Any you advise for law
kurro
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
Honestly, just choose what you want and the ones you enjoy.

It is possible to do history and geography together. You will just have to work hard for a good grade.

A level subjects are what matter. But you should still aim to get A*'s for all your subjects at GCSE especially maths and English language.

My story:
For me, I had the same compulsory subjects as you and I knew I wanted to do some type of engineering or computer science at university. So I chose the ones that I would enjoy: art, geography, and History which had nothing to do with what I wanted to do at university lol. (I managed to get all A's somehow) Then came A level, I chose maths, chem, and art and I got offers for computer science
TempestLaw
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
(Original post by JohanGRK)
J-SP What GCSEs do Magic Circle firms look for these days? Is it triple science? Classics? PE?
At most A-levels and even then it will be for the grades. They will be far more focused on your law degree and depending on the firm, where you did it
username3917068
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
(Original post by TempestLaw)
At most A-levels and even then it will be for the grades. They will be far more focused on your law degree and depending on the firm, where you did it
lol.

Yeah JohanGRK, you really need to brush up on your knowledge :lol: They care about your law degree and A levels way more than GCSEs.
Welshgal2004
Rep:
?
(Original post by Lady Jamie)
lol.

Yeah JohanGRK, you really need to brush up on your knowledge :lol: They care about your law degree and A levels way more than GCSEs.
I want to treat my GCSEs like they are important even if you think they are not, I don’t know how they might effect my future for the better or not, so please, I know you are trying to helpful but I am going to treat these exams like they mean something so if you having nothing effective to say please don’t say anything at all, (not trying to start something) just wanting some good advise of treating my GCSE like they are Importnat exams, thank you
username3917068
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
I want to treat my GCSEs like they are important even if you think they are not, I don’t know how they might effect my future for the better or not, so please, I know you are trying to helpful but I am going to treat these exams like they mean something so if you having nothing effective to say please don’t say anything at all, (not trying to start something) just wanting some good advise of treating my GCSE like they are Importnat exams, thank you
:facepalm:Unfortunately, I wasn't trying to be helpful...(Ignore my previous message, it wasn't intended for you).

Serious answer for ur question: Ofc you should always treat your GCSEs like they are important, even if they have no influence over your future whatsoever (which is not true), it is a good habit to get into and would make A levels a lot easier.

With respect to your second question - either is absolutely fine. Choose the subject you are most likely to perform well in. I've only done history and would personally recommend it. Flip through the textbooks/syllabus for both subjects and see which one interests you more.
Notoriety
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
Jamie getting ****ing schooled off a 14yo. Feels bad man.
J Papi
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
Wow thanks for the useful advise is there any other good subjects you recommend taking?
get top grades in what you enjoy

shoulda been obvious from my irony

lol.

that's the meme you silly parrot
Welshgal2004
Rep:
?
:facepalm:Unfortunately, I wasn't trying to be helpful...(Ignore my previous message, it wasn't intended for you).

Serious answer for ur question: Ofc you should always treat your GCSEs like they are important, even if they have no influence over your future whatsoever (which is not true), it is a good habit to get into and would make A levels a lot easier.

With respect to your second question - either is absolutely fine. Choose the subject you are most likely to perform well in. I've only done history and would personally recommend it. Flip through the textbooks/syllabus for both subjects and see which one interests you more.
Thank you I very much appreciate ur help
username3917068
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
(Original post by Notoriety)
Jamie getting ****ing schooled off a 14yo. Feels bad man.
ikr, almost made me cry.

(Original post by JohanGRK)
get top grades in what you enjoy

shoulda been obvious from my irony

that's the meme you silly parrot
i know that u silly parrot
Jd251101
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
At GCSE level, do the one u love the most and achieve the best in so far. GCSEs are just a stepping stone to college and once your in college that’s when it all matters. By doing the one you love the most will make you want to know it and want to revise it, getting you the best possible grade which is what matters. As an aspiring barrister I’ve found Most unis don’t look at GCSE grades so that doesn’t really matter so my advice would be do the one you are most interested in and work your hardest to achieve the best in it. Law is difficult so achieving the mindset of working and studying at GCSE and it will make your life at A-Level and uni ten times easier. Enjoy high school as well cause you miss it when you leave. Best of luck in your studies.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Arts University Bournemouth
    Postgraduate Open Afternoon Postgraduate
    Thu, 12 Dec '19
  • Trinity Laban Conservatoire of Music and Dance
    Musical Theatre Undergraduate
    Fri, 13 Dec '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Midwifery Open Day at Portsmouth Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 18 Dec '19

Do you work while at uni?