The Student Room Group

A level revision

so a level exams are approaching quick and I’m still unsure as to what the best way to revise is. In secondary we had revision sessions in class everyday until 6pm so I’ve never really revised on my own and I have no idea how to do it.

Anyone have any tips as to how to revise most effectively (I tend to just do past papers) & most importantly, how to motivate yourself?
Original post by km2k01
so a level exams are approaching quick and I’m still unsure as to what the best way to revise is. In secondary we had revision sessions in class everyday until 6pm so I’ve never really revised on my own and I have no idea how to do it.

Anyone have any tips as to how to revise most effectively (I tend to just do past papers) & most importantly, how to motivate yourself?

Firstly, what subjects do you do? Different subjects will need different ways of revising.
Reply 2
Original post by dpksrk2015
Firstly, what subjects do you do? Different subjects will need different ways of revising.

Psychology, Sociology & Business Studies
I'm kinda in the same boat as you, but seeked help from my teachers. My biokogy teacher said that for me (I just wrote notes which took waay too long) suggested that my notes were still too long and told be to try to fit the who booklet onto one A4 page and he will check it if I'm missing anything and sometimes ask questions to see if I remembered anything. Maybe you could take some times from your revision sessions? See which style you prefer or ask classmates what methods they use and pick one that you think will work
Original post by km2k01
Psychology, Sociology & Business Studies

I’ve got no experience in those subjects but I did recently sit down with a woman who’s got a psychology degree and she said that the best way to learn is to read cover recall. It’s actually v effective now that I’m getting used to it. You can make notes yeah but the idea is that you should condense them down so much that you will finally be able to recall stuff without having looked at it for a while.

For geography, I find it easiest to make notes/flash cards and then go over them. By go over them, I do mean literally sitting down, looking at each section of my revision notes, trying to remember it, putting it away and trying to recall as much as I can on a piece of paper or whiteboard. I was advised not to look at the original notes when trying to recall stuff unless you really can’t remember it. You’ve got to keep going back to it, once you’re confident with a topic, do a past paper, mark it, get the examiners report up and compare it. Even if you get really good at stuff, you have to keep coming back to it.

However, this doesn’t work the same for other subjects like maths - i have to continuously be doing past papers and practice questions in order to revise effectively for it. Obvs past papers is a no brainer for all your subjects but it’s difficult when you get to the exam and then can’t remember what to include or what you had to know in order to answer the questions.

Quick Reply

Latest