The Student Room Group

What extracurriculars would make me a more viable Computer Science Applicant

Already posted this in the CS thread, but I thought some people here could also help. I'm currently in year 12 and take CS, Maths and History at A level. I'm really interested in pursuing a CS degree, so I'm looking for any Extra Curriculurs to improve my application, as I haven't got many so far. I have less than a year to pursue these, as I'll probably be applying around December of next year. So far I've only read a book, and I've Delved into the basics of python (do I have enough time to explore this fully?). I'm planning on writing a paper, for my Welsh Bacc qualification about AI next year as well. Any other recommendations for EC'S are appreciated.
(edited 5 years ago)
my mate did a few competitions with our college, see if your college can enroll in any of these -they're like maths challenge for CS. would also see if you can get a week placement somewhere -maybe with family friends? or at the local computer store. this kind of thing looks great on personal statement to show you have a passion for it.
https://www.cs.ox.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate/why_oxford/background_reading.html

There’s reading but more importantly activities listed there that would help with any CS application.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending