Homesick at university Watch

Kinnnmolom12
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I started university in September 2018 and moved out around 2 hours away from home. For the first semester there was no feeling of missing home or anyone at all. During this time university wasn’t great too, didn’t make many friends, spent far too much time in my room but I kept going. Now coming back to university after Christmas holidays I feel so homesick and don’t want to be at university anymore. There is no one to talk to, flat mates don’t talk, lectures haven’t started, no societies running, campus is empty. I wake up and spend my whole day in a room doing nothing, it feels very suffocating. Should I drop out. Someone please help me, what should I do? Also on another note, first semester was exactly the same but I don’t know what kept me going.
kurro
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Then make friends. At a lecture casually sit next to someone and just talk to them.

Find something to do if you get bored. Like going to the gym, swimming, indoor rock climbing, etc
You will also make new friends by finding common interests like above ^^^

I really, don't think you should drop out unless it is the only option.
Kinnnmolom12
Rep:
?
By the way I have spoken to so many people but no one seems interested in engaging in any conversation. I’ve tried involving myself in activities but days go slow and I find myself alone again.
NathLocke64
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Agreed, just get out there and make the most of your time.
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Kinnnmolom12
Rep:
?
Thanks for the suggestions but I’ve tried speaking to several people in lectures, societies, clubs but all of them don’t engage in a conversation. There’s nothing I can do about this, I’ve tried everything possible. I can only wait for time to pass until April but that’s a very long time
kurro
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Kinnnmolom12)
Thanks for the suggestions but I’ve tried speaking to several people in lectures, societies, clubs but all of them don’t engage in a conversation. There’s nothing I can do about this, I’ve tried everything possible. I can only wait for time to pass until April but that’s a very long time
Really? Are the people at your uni that bad?

Maybe change unis?
Is there a uni near your home? I am not sure how the transferring process works though.
Jess104
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Speak to someone at your uni, I'm sure they have help/support services to offer where they can give advice and point you in the right direction to help solve your problems. Persevere. Dropping out will always be an option, but once you take it, it won't be as easy to get back into uni. I'm sure there are others at your uni in a similar situation - you've just got to seek them out and befriend them
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Kinnnmolom12
Rep:
?
(Original post by Jess104)
Speak to someone at your uni, I'm sure they have help/support services to offer where they can give advice and point you in the right direction to help solve your problems. Persevere. Dropping out will always be an option, but once you take it, it won't be as easy to get back into uni. I'm sure there are others at your uni in a similar situation - you've just got to seek them out and befriend them
I feel like I just need to stick by it but it’s so easier said than done until April.
kkboyk
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Kinnnmolom12)
By the way I have spoken to so many people but no one seems interested in engaging in any conversation. I’ve tried involving myself in activities but days go slow and I find myself alone again.
How so? How do you approach people, and what sort of conversation do you have with them? Do you follow through, and contact them after meeting with them for the first time? I'd say its very crucial to do so.

Although, I've experience similar with a society at uni which was mainly because I didn't 'fit' in at all, but made lots of friends through randomly showing up to house parties and pre drinks (even though I don't really drink or like clubbing).
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Bath
    Undergraduate Virtual Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 23 Feb '19
  • Ravensbourne University London
    School of Design, School of Media Further education
    Sat, 23 Feb '19
  • Leeds Trinity University
    PGCE Open Day Further education
    Sat, 23 Feb '19

Do you have a food intolerance or allergy?

Yes - a food intolerance (23)
15.13%
Yes - a food allergy (14)
9.21%
Yes - an autoimmune disorder (i.e coeliac, colitis) (4)
2.63%
Yes - I have an intolerance and allergy (6)
3.95%
No (105)
69.08%

Watched Threads