Help me with this binomial question?

Watch
Blonde.
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
A factory is considering two methods of checking the quality of production of the batches of items it produces.
Method 1: a random sample of 10 items is taken from a large batch and the batch is accepted if there are no defectives in this sample. If there are two or more defectives the batch is rejected. If there is only 1 defective then another sample of 10 is taken and the batch is accepted if there are no defectives in the second sample, otherwise the whole batch is rejected.
Method 2: a random sample of 20 items is taken from a large batch and the batch is accepted if there is at most 1 defective in this sample, otherwise the whole batch is rejected.
The factory knows that 1% of the items produced are defective and wishes to use the method of checking the quality of production for which the probability of accepting the whole batch is largest.

a) decide which method the factory should use
b) determine the expected number of items sampled in method 1

I can't do either can someone explain it to me as the context is confusing me
mqb2766
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Blonde.)
A factory is considering two methods of checking the quality of production of the batches of items it produces.
Method 1: a random sample of 10 items is taken from a large batch and the batch is accepted if there are no defectives in this sample. If there are two or more defectives the batch is rejected. If there is only 1 defective then another sample of 10 is taken and the batch is accepted if there are no defectives in the second sample, otherwise the whole batch is rejected.
Method 2: a random sample of 20 items is taken from a large batch and the batch is accepted if there is at most 1 defective in this sample, otherwise the whole batch is rejected.
The factory knows that 1% of the items produced are defective and wishes to use the method of checking the quality of production for which the probability of accepting the whole batch is largest.

a) decide which method the factory should use
b) determine the expected number of items sampled in method 1

I can't do either can someone explain it to me as the context is confusing me
Probably best to break it up into bits.
Method 1, what is the probability that there are no defects in the first sample, given that the 1% probability of an item being defective?
Last edited by mqb2766; 1 year ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What are you most likely to do if you don't get the grades you were expecting?

Go through Clearing (142)
37.08%
Take autumn exams (121)
31.59%
Look for a job (12)
3.13%
Consider an apprenticeship (17)
4.44%
Take a year out (67)
17.49%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (24)
6.27%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise