pepperfish
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hi

Depending on how my Alevels go I will be applying to Oxford this autumn as a post A-level applicant. I have 14A* 1B at GCSE and would be applying 4A* A levels, all from a state school. I'd spend my gap year travelling in Europe and working. The colleges I like are Lady Margaret Hall, Worcester, Mansfield and Keble. Please would you help me choose? I want:

- 1st and foremost, whichever has the highest success rate for reapplicants! And welcomes gap years! If you have an idea about this I'd be so indebted
- Somewhere friendly
- Somewhere beautiful
- Good for state-schoolers (down to earth)
- Sporting opportunities, especially rugby

I don't care about distance, reputation, or academic intensity.

If you have any other college suggestions either, I'd be delighted to hear them

Thank you in advance!
dx31
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
What course are you applying for,
pepperfish
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
(Original post by dx31)
What course are you applying for,
English literature and Russian. Sorry, should have said!
axolotlaristotle
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hate to sound repetitive but the Oxbridge application system ensures whichever college you apply to you have the same chance of getting in (pooling and such). Though I know LMH and Mansfield have a reputation for state-school applicants. Both are pretty relaxed but honestly if you can the best thing is to visit in person! If not, street view on google maps ought to do the trick in conjucntion with google images, and their websites. OOH, I nearly forgot. The alternative prospectuses for each college are really useful in getting a general 'vibe'. Their JCR should have one somewhere!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (81)
26.91%
No - I have already returned home (38)
12.62%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (60)
19.93%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (31)
10.3%
No - I live at home during term anyway (91)
30.23%

Watched Threads