Pharmacy or chemistry degree Watch

Ionstark
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hi there, I’m not really sure what course I want to study, I currently have offers for both of these and I still can’t decide on which I prefer. Which course is better in terms of employment, pay and security? I know with pharmacy you can work in community (not really keen on this), hospital and industry but I’ve been hearing bad things about the future of pharmacy and how it’s not like how it was before. Is this true and can pharmacists or someone with knowledge on this give their input. Again can anyone in this field provide an input into what’s it’s like.
Last edited by Ionstark; 4 weeks ago
Mr Optimist
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Forget pharmacy. I am a pharmacist and we have already discussed many times in this forum why people should avoid pharmacy like the plague at the moment. Chemistry is good, but my advise to you is, if you're interested in chemistry and want good job prospects, look into chemical engineering. Frankly, if I had to do a degree outside of healthcare field, it would be chemical engineering.
Fatima679
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
All the pharmacists I know are unhappy. Just do what you love, chemistry is tough but if you’re up to it then go ahead. At the end of the day, you’re not likely to use your degree much anyway. Most job skills are taught on the job rather than at university.
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Ionstark
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Does chemistry has poor job prospects, I’m not really interested in engineering as I don’t enjoy physics.

With the Mpharm can I enter careers that are outside of the pharmacist job role.
Mr Optimist
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Ionstark)
Does chemistry has poor job prospects, I’m not really interested in engineering as I don’t enjoy physics.

With the Mpharm can I enter careers that are outside of the pharmacist job role.
One of my brothers has a 1st class masters degree in chemistry from Manchester and he did struggle to find jobs. You need to do an indepth research before you start such courses and think about where your main interests lie. For example, what are you actually hoping to do? research? work with people? healthcare? etc etc.

You can use the Mpharm for other reasons but that's not really what the degree is for, unless you're talking about going into industry which some people do after getting their Mpharm. So just try and figure out what aspects of these courses are you more passionate about, preferably do that after gaining some experience in these fields first (if you can).
marinade
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Ionstark)

I lived with a load of chemists at uni. It's a very tough academic degree with poor job prospects, a lot of frustration and disgruntlement. Not unlike pharmacy.

Also physics, engineering, I would say are two radically different disciplines.
tcameron
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
With pharmacy you will pretty much get a job as the application process for the training year is all done together and in a system.
Chemistry has poor job prospects, you'll have to have further study if you want a good job otherwise there is just being a lab technician.
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by tcameron)
With pharmacy you will pretty much get a job as the application process for the training year is all done together and in a system.
Chemistry has poor job prospects, you'll have to have further study if you want a good job otherwise there is just being a lab technician.
With 3000 pharmacy graduates a year, I think saying you will pretty much get a job may not be strictly true these days, depending where you are based.
I foresee pharmacist unemployment by 2022/23 in the big cities/conurbations.
And the locum rates on offer are shocking at around £19/hr.
This was the official rate in 2004!!! No other profession would be still working on rates that were in action 15 yrs ago. I'll say that again, A decade and a half ago is what pharmacists today are generally earning in the big cities like London and Birmingham. Only in places like the NE and SW are rates higher. In N.Ireland the rates are £16/hr. This is from a recent article in Chemist and Druggist magazine and can be accessed by signing up for free.
The average locum rate at the moment is around £21/22/hr once you factor in the whole UK.
The average pharmacist according to this article earns £36k pa.
The manager in your local ALDI will be on about 10k more than that and get a company car. Food for thought. And he may not even be a graduate, hence no huge debt hanging over him.
Do a pharmacy degree if you must, it's quite interesting, just don't be a pharmacist at the end of it. And two-thirds of pharmacists end up on the high st/ in the community usually working as a slave to a chain.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Bath
    Undergraduate Virtual Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 23 Feb '19
  • Ravensbourne University London
    School of Design, School of Media Further education
    Sat, 23 Feb '19
  • Leeds Trinity University
    PGCE Open Day Further education
    Sat, 23 Feb '19

Is the plastic tax enough to protect the environment?

Yes (13)
5.6%
No (219)
94.4%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise