Magdalene College Cambridge 2019 Offer holders Watch

DrWilson173441
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Been looking and there isn’t a thread for Magdalene offer holders, I think it will be a nice place to meet some Magdalene newbies before term starts in October!
DrWilson173441
Rep:
?
I’m Shaun,
I have an offer to study medicine, subject to A*A*AA!!!
I was pooled to Magdalene from Selwyn btw!
I come from a comp in Yorkshire, any one else?
ThePancake
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Heyyy I’m another (v surprised) medicine offer holder!! Subject to A1 A1 A2 at Advanced Higher I’m from a state school on the east coast of Scotland
Can’t wait to meet everyone in October!! (After we’ve smashed our exams )
LBClondon
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Hey guys. I'm a post-qualification applicant for Law (I do feel sorry for everyone who still have to fret about their grades until the summer).

Did anyone have their interview on the 4th of December? I wonder if I met any of you.

Also, can everyone offer their impression of Magdalene and why they applied there? Personally, I loved the idea of a small college family, and I really found it beautiful when I visited. Also, Rowan Williams, the master, is a former Archbishop of Canterbury and seems like a lovely man - it will be an honour to get to know him!
ALostWanderer
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Hi everyone!

DrWilson173441 thank you for starting this thread.
I'm slowly realising that all this is real, but it seems to be a pretty normal feeling among applicants.
Anyway, I'm an international offer holder for ASNC. I'm so thrilled for this amazing opportunity and I hope I'll be able to meet you all in October!

LBClondon, I chose Magdalene for pretty much the same reasons as you. I found it very welcoming and not as daunting as some bigger colleges. The atmosphere seemed to be rather down-to-earth. Also, I love the buildings in the old court, the location and the greenery sourrounding the premises. And the prices seemed competitive... I didn't know about the master, that is interesting!

(Sorry for any spelling or grammar mistakes)
DrWilson173441
Rep:
?
(Original post by ALostWanderer)
Hi everyone!

I'm slowly realising that all this is real, but it seems to be a pretty normal feeling among applicants.
Anyway, I'm an international offer holder for ASNC. I'm so thrilled for this amazing opportunity and I hope I'll be able to meet you all in October!

LBClondon, I chose Magdalene for pretty much the same reasons as you. I found it very welcoming and not as daunting as some bigger colleges. The atmosphere seemed to be rather down-to-earth. Also, I love the buildings in the old court, the location and the greenery sourrounding the premises. And the prices seemed competitive... I didn't know about the master, that is interesting!

No problem! I can’t believe it either!
LBClondon
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Hi everyone!

No need to apologise for your excellent English! I am really impressed by international applicants who undergo the additional challenge of having to write and speak in English in their assessments/interviews. By the way, I love Switzerland, and I'm so jealous of how beautiful the scenery must be outside your window in the winter! This is what you're going to be thinking about next year - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zrReecEbt18

I agree, the atmosphere I encountered when I visited for interview was incredibly warm and chilled. I honestly feel that this will be an amazing intellectual experience and bags of fun at the same time!
ALostWanderer
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by LBClondon)
No need to apologise for your excellent English! I am really impressed by international applicants who undergo the additional challenge of having to write and speak in English in their assessments/interviews. By the way, I love Switzerland, and I'm so jealous of how beautiful the scenery must be outside your window in the winter! This is what you're going to be thinking about next year - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zrReecEbt18

I agree, the atmosphere I encountered when I visited for interview was incredibly warm and chilled. I honestly feel that this will be an amazing intellectual experience and bags of fun at the same time!
Thank you very much! Yes, it was really challenging (especiallly the assessment), but in the end I enjoyed it. As for the landscape, I know I'm going to miss the mountains at some point, but I also like to explore different places (and the english countryside looks lovely). I'm just too excited about the whole university experience to think about homesickness, at the moment. By the way, I didn't know that song! Since german is not my first language I don't usually listent to swiss german music. I hope I will not feel as lost as the protagonist of the song! I think the College atmosphere will surely help me to feel at home.
LBClondon
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Thank you very much! Yes, it was really challenging (especiallly the assessment), but in the end I enjoyed it. As for the landscape, I know I'm going to miss the mountains at some point, but I also like to explore different places (and the english countryside looks lovely). I'm just too excited about the whole university experience to think about homesickness, at the moment. By the way, I didn't know that song! Since german is not my first language I don't usually listent to swiss german music. I hope I will not feel as lost as the protagonist of the song! I think the College atmosphere will surely help me to feel at home.
Are you from the French or Italian cantons? I've never been to the French part, but the lakes of Lugano etc are breathtaking. It's just heavy on my pocket when the pound is at a post-Brexit low and the Swiss franc is the most overvalued currency in the world. Conversely, this means that you'll be laughing when you swap your francs for pounds in England! You'll be buying everyone drinks
ALostWanderer
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by LBClondon)
Are you from the French or Italian cantons? I've never been to the French part, but the lakes of Lugano etc are breathtaking. It's just heavy on my pocket when the pound is at a post-Brexit low and the Swiss franc is the most overvalued currency in the world. Conversely, this means that you'll be laughing when you swap your francs for pounds in England! You'll be buying everyone drinks
Italian speaking canton, but definetely further north than Lugano (actually, there is a pretty strong rivalry between my region and that of Lugano )
Yes, I know...though I don't think I'll be buying too many drinks, since I'll have to save my scholarship and loan money as much as possible ahah.
Halberd71
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Hey I'm Ben! I have an offer for computer science (A*A*AA), I'm from a state school in south east London.
I've been coasting a bit since the interview but I guess now I'll have to buckle down and get work done.
LBClondon My interview was on the 10th, along with the natsci and English lit I think?
Applying to Magdalene was kind of a dartboard decision for me tbh, an open application felt a bit uncertain to me.
pal_197
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
how did you find csat and interviews?
Halberd71
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by pal_197)
how did you find csat and interviews?
I found the CSAT challenging but I felt I did well, I answered all but 2 or 3 questions fully I think.
The interviews were surprisingly alright, I was dreading having to answer personal questions ("Why do you want to come here" etc) but luckily they were both technical.
What was a bit weird was at the end of one of them I was asked about a tiny part of my PS out of the blue, they lasered in on some inconsequential phrase. Apparently I didn't screw up the answer though
WillHighDef.
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Hi all, I'm Will! I've recieved an offer to study computer science subject to A*A*A and I'm from a state school up in Northumberland. I still don't think I've fully gotten over the fact that I have an offer, it still feels a little surreal. I guess it's time fully crack down and revise for the exams in the summer. Hopefully I can look forward to meeting you all there come October!
DrWilson173441
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
Has anyone got any photos of the college’s accommodation, I was pooled here, so I haven’t visited it, if anyone has anything it would be amazing if you’d share them! X
Halberd71
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
WillHighDef. Same tbh, it hasn't even hit me yet. I honestly forget sometimes.
DrWilson173441 I stayed the night before the interview in what I think is 30A Bridge Street (https://www.magd.cam.ac.uk/college-l.../undergraduate) I don't have any pictures (was a little preoccupied with other things), but it was really nice and surprisingly spacy, with a shared toilet and shower.

Just to make sure, there's definitely no offer holder open day?
Can't wait to (hopefully) see y'all October time.
Emilywallis25x
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Hi everyone! I received an offer to study MML at Magdalene! Anyone else doing MML? Congrats on your offers!! Xx
WillHighDef.
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Emilywallis25x Congrats on your offer too!

Halberd71 I've just noticed that we had our interviews and CSAT on the same day, I wonder if we met that day! If we both get in, we may even end up having supervisions together.

Is anyone else planning on getting a cycling proficiency now if you haven't already? I can't really remember the last time I rode a bike aha.
LBClondon
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
WillHighDef. Hey there from London, look forward to seeing you next year. I know someone else coming to Cambridge from Northumberland next year. I wonder if you know her - she's from Hexham, how about you?
RLawlor
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
Engineering offer holder here (from Northern Ireland) for A* Further Maths, A* Physics and A in Chemistry. I was pooled from Pembroke and had to go over for another interview early January and loved the college. I’m wondering if anyone else had another interview?
I’m Ronan btw
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Cambridge
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Thu, 4 Jul '19
  • University of Cambridge
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 5 Jul '19

Do you give blood?

Yes (46)
9.26%
I used to but I don't now (14)