The Student Room Group

Which English Counties Don't Have Universities?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
I believe there are no universities in Shropshire.
Reply 61
^ Bath/Bath Spa?

Or am I missing something with this old/new counties thing?
Reply 62
Titch89
:confused: University of Hertfordshire. Or am I missing something here?

I almost got caught out by that too :redface: Although I know where Hereford is I didn't realise Herefordshire existed.

Somerset = Bath
Shropshire = Wolves
Reply 63
Bath is in South Gloucestershire is it not?
Reply 64
Crisps
I believe there are no universities in Shropshire.

Harper Adams, as a higher education college and a uni of Wolverhampton campus (which I never knew until now).
Reply 65
Alexr115

Not as far as I'm aware.
Alexr115

Bath is in the county of Avon I believe
Bath is currently in the county of Bath and North East Somerset. Used to be in Avon. And before that is was in Somerset.
Reply 68
croissantfever
Bath is currently in the county of Bath and North East Somerset. Used to be in Avon. And before that is was in Somerset.

My head hurts :frown:
Reply 69
Stickyvix

Not for at least 12 years.

It's Somerset, believe me. Or a unitary authority such as Middlesbrough. But I really think it's Somerset.
Reply 70
croissantfever

It still is Somerset, I've just realised Bath (and North East Somerset) is a unitary authoirty in Somerset (the ceremonial county). So Somerset is the ceremonial county. So Somerset does have two unis, for the sake of argument.

In a way it is sort of like Middlesbrough then.
Reply 71
Stickyvix

Avon in essence doesnt exist anymore, anything that was in in the county of Avon is now either, South Gloucs, North Somerset or classed as in Bristol.
Alexr115
Avon in essence doesnt exist anymore, anything that was in in the county of Avon is now either, South Gloucs, North Somerset or classed as in Bristol.

How very confusing LOL
Reply 73
Haven't we exhausted all counties then? I'll be suprised if there are many more other than Northumberland, Herefordshire and Rutland.
River85
This really comes down with how strictly we are applying counties. Are we going by tradtional (pre 1974 councils) in which case Tyne and Wear doesn't exist. Northumberland has two unis, County Durham has two.

Isle of Wight used to be part of Hampshire didn't it? So that would be excluded.

So are we going by the county boundaries as they stand today?

I don't think it is part of Hampshire.
It's usually Hampshire and Isle of Wight when you see signs on the IoW, but here on mainland it says Hampshire. Portsmouth isn't Hampshire either, I don't think...

If P'mouth counts as Hants, I reckon we have more than other counties (exc. Greater London, obv.)
Spotty Dog
Unfortunatly North East Lincs isn't a county in it's own right, it's part of Lincolnshire. :P

really?!?! i didn't know that
A Stranger in Moscow
I don't think it is part of Hampshire.
It's usually Hampshire and Isle of Wight when you see signs on the IoW, but here on mainland it says Hampshire. Portsmouth isn't Hampshire either, I don't think...

If P'mouth counts as Hants, I reckon we have more than other counties (exc. Greater London, obv.)

plymouth is devon
Portsmouth is definately Hampshire
isn't bristol in somerset?
Reply 79
Stickyvix
How very confusing LOL

Counties are. The local government act of 1972 (or was it 74) messed around with the counties, breaking up some of the historic counties, creating metropolitan and non-metropolitan counties and merging counties into new ones (most of Westmorland and Cumberland into Cumbria)

Places such as Bath and (especially) Middlesbrough are particularly confusing. Bath was Somerset, then until 1996 Avon. Then Bath and NE Somerset became a unitary authority (as has been said). Somerset is still the ceremonial county.

Middlesbrough was in the north riding of Yorshire, then put into Teesside (a county borough), then into Cleveland. Then they abolished Cleveland and made Middlesbrough a unitarty authority. North Riding of Yorkshire is still used for ceremoial purposes (and I think the boundary of North Yorkshire and County Durham has gone back to being around the Tees). But it still is, essentially, a unitary authority.

Why couldn't they leave things alone? lol

Quick Reply

Latest