LawandCrim
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I am a law student doing a criminology module but I am struggling as to how to revise and approach the criminology exam?

Has anyone who has done well got any tips? For law you revise case laws and dicta and obiter but for the criminology exam what am I supposed to be looking at in particular?

For example one of the topics is victims of crime so do I just need to learn what things are available and what the pros and cons are? Same with Restorative justice etc
LawandCrim
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Bumppppppp
Notoriety
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Seamus123 might know.

As it's a non-law subject (though often people do not realise it), posting this Q in law might not have been the most prudent move.
Claire461
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by LawandCrim)
I am a law student doing a criminology module but I am struggling as to how to revise and approach the criminology exam?

Has anyone who has done well got any tips? For law you revise case laws and dicta and obiter but for the criminology exam what am I supposed to be looking at in particular?

For example one of the topics is victims of crime so do I just need to learn what things are available and what the pros and cons are? Same with Restorative justice etc
Name:  E0FD4435-256C-41DA-BC7D-1F300C8467CE.jpeg
Views: 198
Size:  119.0 KBThese are texts used for undergraduate level in Criminology theories on what would be covered in a Criminology module.
Pete Wallis’s text includes case studies on RJ which you would be required to cite in an exam. The text is invaluable as it discusses the debate between restorative and retributive justice.
You could also look at Howard Zerh who is a pioneer in the RJ field.
in terms of victims of crime, you could look at the recently new phenomenon of victimology with the Criminal Justice System being predominantly concerned with the prosecution and punishment of offenders and the limited use of victims as just witnesses. You would be looking at the use of Victim Impact Schemes, Victim Impact Statements as a means of empowerment and involvement in the Criminal Justice process.
I hope this is of some help to you. Your university library should have these texts. Feel free to PM me if I can give you any further assistance.
username4449432
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
+1 for this
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you experienced financial difficulties as a student due to Covid-19?

Yes, I have really struggled financially (14)
12.07%
I have experienced some financial difficulties (28)
24.14%
I haven't experienced any financial difficulties and things have stayed the same (50)
43.1%
I have had better financial opportunities as a result of the pandemic (20)
17.24%
I've had another experience (let us know in the thread!) (4)
3.45%

Watched Threads