Belly fat Watch

Court.louise
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I am 15, 5ft.1 and weigh around 7.11st. I ride horses so my legs are toned and I walk a lot so I am fit but I still have belly fat - more so below my navel. This is all the time, not after eating certain things or after a certain amount of activity etc. I'm not bloated either. I'm happy with my weight and can't afford to lose any more and have previously tried sit-ups, core strengthening exercises, crunches etc but nothing has worked so I gave up. How do I fix this because It's frustrating knowing I'm not fat eventhough I have "belly pooch". I would like to tone my abs but I know I need to rid of the fat first. HELP please!
Last edited by Court.louise; 1 month ago
TommyDH
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Unfortunately it is a myth that you can 'target' a specific area for fat. You can't.

Visceral fat (or "belly" fat) is the first fat to form, and the last fat (along with thighs) to be lost (for evolutionary reasons).

The only way to lose it without losing weight is through diet and exercise. No grains, no processed food, no junk food, no sugar. (Eat all the vegetables except white potatoes and eat all the fruit, lean meats, fish, eggs, nuts you like to keep your maintenance weight).

Two of my favourite fat burner exercises are 'burpees' and 'mountain climbers'. Star jumps or 'jumping jacks' are a good one too as a warmup.

Some resistance training too will help you tone up and keep your weight as lean mass rather than fat. Consider some dumbell squats and romanian deadlifts etc.
Court.louise
Rep:
?
Thank you, although this is why I am confused, I'm a healthy weight and am quite fit. I can't afford to lose any more weight as I'm petit and as I said at a healthy weight. I already do squats and work my legs, glutes and core when riding. I walk a lot with usually 10000 steps a day and some days (like Friday) 25/30thousand. I am going to start doing resistance training and will definitley conside using dumbells too. Thank you for your response
TommyDH
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Court.louise)
Thank you, although this is why I am confused, I'm a healthy weight and am quite fit. I can't afford to lose any more weight as I'm petit and as I said at a healthy weight. I already do squats and work my legs, glutes and core when riding. I walk a lot with usually 10000 steps a day and some days (like Friday) 25/30thousand. I am going to start doing resistance training and will definitley conside using dumbells too. Thank you for your response
If you're already active and eating healthy you will eventually lose the visceral fat. It really clings to you as it clings to your organs, see. So it takes a long time to come loose and for your body to burn it.

Cut out sugar and any processed food and consider adding those two 'fat burner' exercises I mentioned to your regime. They have me sweating after just 5 minutes.

As long as you're doing resistance training and eating enough protein (lean beef, chicken, wild salmon) you won't lose weight. You'll use the visceral fat to burn for energy and then proteins in return will give you lean mass.

Other than that if you're a healthy weight I say don't worry about it too much. A little bit of pudge never hurt anyone, especially in winter! Good luck!
Court.louise
Rep:
?
Haha thank you! Any other suggestions for protein that I could add into mainly a salad/fruit and sandwhich diet? I don't have the time to prepare my own food so I end up snacking on things like that and try to avoid eating meat/fish.
TommyDH
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Court.louise)
Haha thank you! Any other suggestions for protein that I could add into mainly a salad/fruit and sandwhich diet? I don't have the time to prepare my own food so I end up snacking on things like that and try to avoid eating meat/fish.
Eggs, tuna, mushrooms, nuts. All good proteins.

I go to the gym everyday and really push myself so my diet is quite limited I'm not the best person to ask for advice there , I just know what not to eat (grains, sugar, junk).

My breakfast for example when I get home (I go to the gym at 4AM and get home at 6AM) is bison (or waterbuffalo) steak with broccoli, carrots, spinach, 3 eggs with a side salad made with walnuts, red cabbage etc.

Oh god now I'm hungry
JaseyB
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Red/purple coloured foods (fruits and vegetables) will probably help you to burn your "belly pooch". They contain something called (sorry if I misspell this) Anthesynes - and I have seen a study on rats or mice where they overfed the rats/mice until they were obese, then they seperated them into 2 groups and kept their diets indentical, except with 1 group they laced their food with these Anthesynes and that group actually returned to a normal weight whilst the other group stayed obese. They are currently trialling it on humans in Australia.
Other than that increase your calories (slightly) and do some form of cardio twice a week like a 15-20 minute run, in addition to some resistance training - they key elements to this working though are time and patience it takes a while.
Court.louise
Rep:
?
Thank you
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (106)
17.24%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (64)
10.41%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (108)
17.56%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (92)
14.96%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (62)
10.08%
How can I be the best version of myself? (183)
29.76%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed