Lancaster University or UCLAN Watch

plainjayne1
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
I'm predicted the entry grades required for Lancaster University and it was always my 1st choice up until today when I weighed up pros and cons. I applied to UCLAN as a back up - they want much lower grades. I have conditional offers for both--same course. My question is... Would I be silly to accept UCLAN if my grades are worthy of Lancaster? UCLAN looks fun and relaxed, and I feel like maybe I don't want the stress that Lancaster might bring. What would you do?
nightisdark
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Go to both offer holder days. They’ll really help.
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
plainjayne1
Rep:
?
I read about offer holder days and was definitely planning on going to both.
I went to two open days at Lancaster University, because I was determined to go there and wouldn't be talked out of it, but I've never been to see uclan. I've heard some really good things about uclan over the last couple of weeks though, and I'm really starting to take the offer seriously.
swanseajack1
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by plainjayne1)
I read about offer holder days and was definitely planning on going to both.
I went to two open days at Lancaster University, because I was determined to go there and wouldn't be talked out of it, but I've never been to see uclan. I've heard some really good things about uclan over the last couple of weeks though, and I'm really starting to take the offer seriously.
Lancaster is a far better university. Go there if you can as your prospects will be better.
Simbasoul
  • Community Assistant
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Unless you have a burning desire to go to UCLAN after visiting them both again, I would firm Lancaster and insure UCLAN. Lancaster is the more established university (UCLAN has its' roots in Preston Poly) so tends to be the better regraded institution - but it does depend a little on the course you have applied for. You are predicted the grades for Lancaster and it sounds to me like you are having a crisis of confidence about getting the grades? By firming/insuring the two you effectively have the best of both worlds.
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
which course are you applying for?
Lancaster University Student Ambassador
  •  Official Rep
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Hello plainjayne1,
My name's Charlotte and I'm a second year Biological Sciences with Biomedicine student and I'm happy to answer any question you might have in order to help you make a decision!
At Lancaster there's a large support network that'll help you if you find your course struggle.
In first year, modules tend to be based on catching everyone up so they're on the same page and the first few assignments of any course tend to be an opportunity for you practise and find your feet. You'll likely have a tutor who you can turn to, but also you'll be assigned a college and therefore will have a college wellbeing team who can help you with academic or personal trouble you might be happening.
There's a transition team (I actually volunteer with them) who's whole job is supporting people when they first arrive and it's possible to get a mentor who can give you advice on how to do well.
Lancaster isn't just studying either - we have 9 bars on campus and loads of social events. You'll definitely have a chance to do fun things outside of doing work.
Hope this helps a little and let me know if you have any questions at all!
Charlotte
plainjayne1
Rep:
?
(Original post by Simbasoul)
Unless you have a burning desire to go to UCLAN after visiting them both again, I would firm Lancaster and insure UCLAN. Lancaster is the more established university (UCLAN has its' roots in Preston Poly) so tends to be the better regraded institution - but it does depend a little on the course you have applied for. You are predicted the grades for Lancaster and it sounds to me like you are having a crisis of confidence about getting the grades? By firming/insuring the two you effectively have the best of both worlds.
I'm always having a crisis of confidence.
plainjayne1
Rep:
?
(Original post by Lancaster University Student Ambassador)
Hello plainjayne1,
My name's Charlotte and I'm a second year Biological Sciences with Biomedicine student and I'm happy to answer any question you might have in order to help you make a decision!
At Lancaster there's a large support network that'll help you if you find your course struggle.
In first year, modules tend to be based on catching everyone up so they're on the same page and the first few assignments of any course tend to be an opportunity for you practise and find your feet. You'll likely have a tutor who you can turn to, but also you'll be assigned a college and therefore will have a college wellbeing team who can help you with academic or personal trouble you might be happening.
There's a transition team (I actually volunteer with them) who's whole job is supporting people when they first arrive and it's possible to get a mentor who can give you advice on how to do well.
Lancaster isn't just studying either - we have 9 bars on campus and loads of social events. You'll definitely have a chance to do fun things outside of doing work.
Hope this helps a little and let me know if you have any questions at all!
Charlotte
It sounds like there is a lot of emotional and mental support at Lancaster. I'm fine with hard work, but I get overwhelmed if things get too busy and I have no where to turn. I guess I'm just feeling daunted.
Simbasoul
  • Community Assistant
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
It sounds like there is a lot of emotional and mental support at Lancaster. I'm fine with hard work, but I get overwhelmed if things get too busy and I have no where to turn. I guess I'm just feeling daunted.
University is a big step, especially if you are going straight after school - you wouldn’t be human if you didn’t feel a bit daunted! Try and get confidence from the fact that your teachers predicted those grades - they believe you are capable of achieving them - so prove them right! Support is always there at universities - you just have to ask for it - they are invested in your success as much as you are! Be bloody bold and resolute!
Lancaster University Student Ambassador
  •  Official Rep
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
That's okay, going to unviersity is a big step up and it is very scary.
I'm sure that wherever you go you'll find people to support you and a system in place designed for that kind of stress!
plainjayne1
Rep:
?
(Original post by Simbasoul)
University is a big step, especially if you are going straight after school - you wouldn’t be human if you didn’t feel a bit daunted! Try and get confidence from the fact that your teachers predicted those grades - they believe you are capable of achieving them - so prove them right! Support is always there at universities - you just have to ask for it - they are invested in your success as much as you are! Be bloody bold and resolute!
I'm actually going as a mature student 🙈
Simbasoul
  • Community Assistant
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I'm actually going as a mature student 🙈
That's OK - it is still human to be daunted - whilst the thought of coping with laundry/feeding yourself etc is diminished, the worry about "will I cope" with study rears its' head (in those coming straight from school, the worries tend to be reversed!)

See this as a new adventure - the road may be bumpy but the eventual destination is worth the ride....
Nadia19962
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I am (was? Decided to leave) a student at uclan and if I had higher grades to get into Lancaster, I would have chose Lancaster. I had health problems which prevented me from achieving higher grades at BTEC and so I had to go through foundation year first. But if I had known to have transferred after foundation, I would have done so.

I have nothing against the university but it doesn’t feel like a university. It’s on main roads and public transport there is bad. Lancaster however, is very isolated and has its own campus which is beautiful and all there are buses straight to Sainsbury’s and to the bus station. At Lancaster, everything is sort of close together whereas at uclan, it’s sort of messy and for me I don’t like it. If you’re worried about academic work and that, I think you will struggle more at uclan as the people there in a way don’t really care about the work. I know from the experience and I know people who did the same course that you have applied for. Students at uclan are more laid back and tend to do stuff last minute. The lecturers are great and will give assignments or books to read from the beginning of the semester, but the environment that you are in can bring your self esteem down and in way make you lazy. A lot of other students from uclan may disagree with me, but if you’ve got the grades to get into Lancaster, go to Lancaster. Lancaster is in the 20 universities in the U.K.. It is higher than some Russel group universities. If you get the grades to get into Lancaster, you’ll have no problem in performing well there
plainjayne1
Rep:
?
(Original post by Nadia19962)
I am (was? Decided to leave) a student at uclan and if I had higher grades to get into Lancaster, I would have chose Lancaster. I had health problems which prevented me from achieving higher grades at BTEC and so I had to go through foundation year first. But if I had known to have transferred after foundation, I would have done so.

I have nothing against the university but it doesn’t feel like a university. It’s on main roads and public transport there is bad. Lancaster however, is very isolated and has its own campus which is beautiful and all there are buses straight to Sainsbury’s and to the bus station. At Lancaster, everything is sort of close together whereas at uclan, it’s sort of messy and for me I don’t like it. If you’re worried about academic work and that, I think you will struggle more at uclan as the people there in a way don’t really care about the work. I know from the experience and I know people who did the same course that you have applied for. Students at uclan are more laid back and tend to do stuff last minute. The lecturers are great and will give assignments or books to read from the beginning of the semester, but the environment that you are in can bring your self esteem down and in way make you lazy. A lot of other students from uclan may disagree with me, but if you’ve got the grades to get into Lancaster, go to Lancaster. Lancaster is in the 20 universities in the U.K.. It is higher than some Russel group universities. If you get the grades to get into Lancaster, you’ll have no problem in performing well there
This is so helpful, thank you! I am someone who needs a bit of pressure, I can't deal with laziness in learning either. I think everyone should work to the best of their ability, and that means that leaving things until close to a deadline is not acceptable. Too much of a laid back attitude, I'd find should destroying.
harrysbar
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I'm predicted the entry grades required for Lancaster University and it was always my 1st choice up until today when I weighed up pros and cons. I applied to UCLAN as a back up - they want much lower grades. I have conditional offers for both--same course. My question is... Would I be silly to accept UCLAN if my grades are worthy of Lancaster? UCLAN looks fun and relaxed, and I feel like maybe I don't want the stress that Lancaster might bring. What would you do?
Lancaster is a great Uni - seriously, so much better than UCLAN. Go there if you can!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Roehampton
    Department of Humanities; Department of Drama, Theatre and Performance; Department of Social Sciences; Department of English and Creative Writing Undergraduate
    Wed, 20 Feb '19
  • Keele University
    Postgraduate Open Afternoon Postgraduate
    Wed, 20 Feb '19
  • Manchester Metropolitan University
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 20 Feb '19

Do unconditional offers make teenagers lazy?

Yes (115)
58.97%
No (80)
41.03%

Watched Threads