What path should I take to become a lawyer? Watch

Stressedout007
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hey,

So I am currently in Year 10 doing the following GCSEs: English Lit and Lan, Maths, Triple Science, Geography, R.S, Drama, Spanish, and I completed my Russian GCSE in Year 9 with an A*.
I am thinking of becoming a lawyer as a career. What path should I take? I am planning on doing English, Biology, Physics, and either R.S/Geography A levels. Should I (if I get a place of course) go straight into studying a law degree? Some people have told me that it is best to do another degree first (e.g Natural Sciences) so law firms see me as more employable? What should I do?
DarkChaoz95
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Stressedout007)
Hey,

So I am currently in Year 10 doing the following GCSEs: English Lit and Lan, Maths, Triple Science, Geography, R.S, Drama, Spanish, and I completed my Russian GCSE in Year 9 with an A*.
I am thinking of becoming a lawyer as a career. What path should I take? I am planning on doing English, Biology, Physics, and either R.S/Geography A levels. Should I (if I get a place of course) go straight into studying a law degree? Some people have told me that it is best to do another degree first (e.g Natural Sciences) so law firms see me as more employable? What should I do?
I dont see doing a different degree and then do a Law conversion course is beneficial in my eyes, I feel it's just a waste of time. Unless your one of those that decided you want to switch to law during mid way of your degree.

I'd go with diving straight into studying a law degree. But you should note the legal sector is oversaturated with law graduates and its extremely competitive. Not that I'm trying to deter you to pursue law, but make sure you do a thorough research beforehand and be realistic.
quirky editor
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by DarkChaoz95)
I dont see doing a different degree and then do a Law conversion course is beneficial in my eyes, I feel it's just a waste of time. Unless your one of those that decided you want to switch to law during mid way of your degree.

I'd go with diving straight into studying a law degree. But you should note the legal sector is oversaturated with law graduates and its extremely competitive. Not that I'm trying to deter you to pursue law, but make sure you do a thorough research beforehand and be realistic.
The SQE will replace conversion courses in 2021.
DarkChaoz95
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by quirky editor)
Of course I forgot that, if does pursue any degree at this point, the traditional routes will be closed to him and even gone by then. Should have read the OP clearly. Thanks for the correction!
HiroPai
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
What will there be in place of the conversion course? I applied to uni this year (eng lit) hoping to do a conversion course to law..
HiroPai
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Hey,

During work experience in a law firm in London the firm clearly stated that actually they don't see in difference if u do a law undergrad or not. Even they prefer a non-law degree as it shows breadth of knowledge and determination to pursue law. My advidlce would just be to do the course that you are passionate about
HiroPai
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Just googled the new SQE and it states that the current pathway will be used until 2031
JohanGRK
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Some people have told me that it is best to do another degree first (e.g Natural Sciences) so law firms see me as more employable?
I've always wondered about what J-SP thought about the whole "muh non-law degree is more employable" thing
J-SP
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
No degree is “more employable”

Subject matter means very little for careers like law
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
quirky editor
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by J-SP)
No degree is “more employable”

Subject matter means very little for careers like law
Are people who did Law Degrees seen as more informed about the law or does it end up making little difference in practise?
J-SP
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Are people who did Law Degrees seen as more informed about the law or does it end up making little difference in practise?
Academic law and law in practice are two very different things.

A lot of firms take on half law grads half non law grads, so clearly doesn’t really matter to many.
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
JohanGRK
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
"Information about the law" (whatever this means) isn't something that's assessed by recruiters... it's simply not a thing they look for (you'll find that they're very transparent about this if you spend a few minutes to talk to them).

The tougher assessments will test you on things that are closer to banking (e.g. different ways of raising finance for an acquisition) than law
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Bath
    Undergraduate Virtual Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 23 Feb '19
  • Ravensbourne University London
    School of Design, School of Media Further education
    Sat, 23 Feb '19
  • Leeds Trinity University
    PGCE Open Day Further education
    Sat, 23 Feb '19

Is the plastic tax enough to protect the environment?

Yes (13)
5.58%
No (220)
94.42%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise