Do KCL allow third year to retake if they fail? Watch

Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Sorry for posting this in the relationships forum, I had no idea how else to post this anonymously.

Anyways I have been suffering from anxiety this year and visited my GP in – I think October. He prescribed me some basic anxiety medication before I go to sleep and asked me whether I would like to go counselling. I refused as the prospects of counselling are not appealing to me, I am reserved in person and do not wish to talk to someone about this issue.

I am extremely worried that I may fail my third year.

The university doesn’t know of my anxiety and I don’t think they will do grant me any extra support anything as I have already contacted the disability office and tried to make them aware of my anxiety, but they brushed it off and said let us know in a few months in case it gets better.

Also, I have checked the website and it states that your mental health issue must be a long term issue and as I have only been diagnosed in October I feel like they wont recognise it as a mitigating circumstance? Please any advice.

Please help me.
Analyst89
  • Community Assistant
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Mental health issues is a mitigating circumstance and it clearly has been affecting you. Maybe communicate this to your university student support team? Hope someone from KCL can share some light on this,
anonst
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Analyst89)
Mental health issues is a mitigating circumstance and it clearly has been affecting you. Maybe communicate this to your university student support team? Hope someone from KCL can share some light on this,
Hey. I did not know how to reply anonymously so I made a new account for all my anonymous posts.

I have not been to the GP since October and I am worried they make not take me seriously.
Analyst89
  • Community Assistant
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by anonst)
Hey. I did not know how to reply anonymously so I made a new account for all my anonymous posts.

I have not been to the GP since October and I am worried they make not take me seriously.
You need to see your GP regarding your mental health which they could help you. You should also ask your GP for a doctor's note for proof of your mental illness and give it to university. Hopefully someone else can also shed some light in this issue.
anonst
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Bump.
999tigger
  • Answer Heroes
Badges: 19
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Sorry for posting this in the relationships forum, I had no idea how else to post this anonymously.

Anyways I have been suffering from anxiety this year and visited my GP in – I think October. He prescribed me some basic anxiety medication before I go to sleep and asked me whether I would like to go counselling. I refused as the prospects of counselling are not appealing to me, I am reserved in person and do not wish to talk to someone about this issue.

I am extremely worried that I may fail my third year.

The university doesn’t know of my anxiety and I don’t think they will do grant me any extra support anything as I have already contacted the disability office and tried to make them aware of my anxiety, but they brushed it off and said let us know in a few months in case it gets better.

Also, I have checked the website and it states that your mental health issue must be a long term issue and as I have only been diagnosed in October I feel like they wont recognise it as a mitigating circumstance? Please any advice.

Please help me.
That your actions is the best strategy to put you in the worst position possible.

You need to face up to the situation and all your choices seem to justify making it worse for yourself by hiding.

You need to go and see the GP and get support from mental health services. If your year is going so poorly and you arent exaggerating then i would have no problems in suspending studies to save the degree. I do not know whether its just anxiety or you have a real basis for failing.

In the situation you do really poorly and fail exams, then they will let you resit, but cap all your resits at 40%, which will probably destroy your degree grade.

If you submit a mitigating circumstances claim, then they have the discretion to remove the cap on resits and take your mental health into account.

To take you seriously they need convining evidence from a third party that you are undergoing mit circumstances and its backed up in this case by medical evidence.

You have undermined yourself by failing to bosot the GP regularly.
Failing to attend counselling because it doesnt appeal to you.
Be warned lack of independent evidence will not appeal to the review board and they will find your claim from weak to Unconvincing.

You are going to need to start interacting and attempting to get help for yourself including a diagnosis and medical professionals willimng to support the fact you have anxiety, its extent and the amount it affects your studies. If you dont then your appeal will be weak as you cant provide them with any evidence.

If you are in a mess, then I would suspend, get yourself sorted out or more stable, then retake the year. It is hard to know whether your belief you fail is just the anxiety or you have genuine cause for concern. You need a friend who knows you and is capable of sound objective analytical thinking.

You arent doing yourself any favours at the moment. If you feel too anxious to do anything then you have to reach out to a friend or advisor who can help enact or make the decisions for you in the real world. As it is the anxiety is winning and you are making poor choices that make your situation worse. Please wake up and start protecting yourself or your degree really will be in trouble if theres substance to your fear of failure.

https://www.nopanic.org.uk/no-panic-youth-hub/

https://www.anxietyuk.org.uk/get-help/

1. Samaritans 116 123
2. https://kooth.com/ Online counselling
3. Your uni should have their own nightline and student manned counselling service.
4. The Mix. 0808 808 4994. Sunday to Friday from 2pm to 11pm. webchat Sunday to Friday from 2pm to 11pm, and Saturday from 8pm to 11pm.
5. Sane 4.30pm to 10.30pm on 0300 304 7000.

ps Im being direct because Im trying to get you to take some steps to protect yourself and prevent you sleepwalking into disaster. Maybe youve had anxiety for a long time and its come to a head, but it is obviously distorting your perception. Its not too late to sort this out and if things really are poor then have enough protection when things go south. At the moment you have very little. Help yourself.
Last edited by 999tigger; 4 weeks ago
backfloss1
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
try your personal tutor
anonst
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by 999tigger)
That your actions is the best strategy to put you in the worst position possible.

You need to face up to the situation and all your choices seem to justify making it worse for yourself by hiding.

You need to go and see the GP and get support from mental health services. If your year is going so poorly and you arent exaggerating then i would have no problems in suspending studies to save the degree. I do not know whether its just anxiety or you have a real basis for failing.

In the situation you do really poorly and fail exams, then they will let you resit, but cap all your resits at 40%, which will probably destroy your degree grade.

If you submit a mitigating circumstances claim, then they have the discretion to remove the cap on resits and take your mental health into account.

To take you seriously they need convining evidence from a third party that you are undergoing mit circumstances and its backed up in this case by medical evidence.

You have undermined yourself by failing to bosot the GP regularly.
Failing to attend counselling because it doesnt appeal to you.
Be warned lack of independent evidence will not appeal to the review board and they will find your claim from weak to Unconvincing.

You are going to need to start interacting and attempting to get help for yourself including a diagnosis and medical professionals willimng to support the fact you have anxiety, its extent and the amount it affects your studies. If you dont then your appeal will be weak as you cant provide them with any evidence.

If you are in a mess, then I would suspend, get yourself sorted out or more stable, then retake the year. It is hard to know whether your belief you fail is just the anxiety or you have genuine cause for concern. You need a friend who knows you and is capable of sound objective analytical thinking.

You arent doing yourself any favours at the moment. If you feel too anxious to do anything then you have to reach out to a friend or advisor who can help enact or make the decisions for you in the real world. As it is the anxiety is winning and you are making poor choices that make your situation worse. Please wake up and start protecting yourself or your degree really will be in trouble if theres substance to your fear of failure.

https://www.nopanic.org.uk/no-panic-youth-hub/

https://www.anxietyuk.org.uk/get-help/

1. Samaritans 116 123
2. https://kooth.com/ Online counselling
3. Your uni should have their own nightline and student manned counselling service.
4. The Mix. 0808 808 4994. Sunday to Friday from 2pm to 11pm. webchat Sunday to Friday from 2pm to 11pm, and Saturday from 8pm to 11pm.
5. Sane 4.30pm to 10.30pm on 0300 304 7000.

ps Im being direct because Im trying to get you to take some steps to protect yourself and prevent you sleepwalking into disaster. Maybe youve had anxiety for a long time and its come to a head, but it is obviously distorting your perception. Its not too late to sort this out and if things really are poor then have enough protection when things go south. At the moment you have very little. Help yourself.
Thank you for your response and sorry for the late reply.

I read this the day after you posted this and contacted my GP for another appointment and have one booked for next week. I am going to try and get enough support so I'll have medical evidence for my condiiton. Thank you
999tigger
  • Answer Heroes
Badges: 19
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by anonst)
Thank you for your response and sorry for the late reply.

I read this the day after you posted this and contacted my GP for another appointment and have one booked for next week. I am going to try and get enough support so I'll have medical evidence for my condition. Thank you
Read the rules on mitigating circumstances o you are able to have a track record of your condition and the fact you are consistently trying to manage it. They take notice of independent third parties if they support what you say.
You may manage an emergency strategy to manage the worst aspect of the anxiety.
Hopefully you have a friend who you listen to and can give honest feedback to you about whether you are helping yourself or hiding. Always be aware you arent always the best person to judge your situation because of ow the anxiety distorts your views.

Good luck and well done for taking steps to improve your situation. So many threads are posted each year where the person has hidden, even though they have issues and then when it comes to appealing they have no evidence. Dont be that person.
Vinny C
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Didn't realise it took that long to learn how to fry chicken.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• King's College London
    Postgraduate Taught Courses - Health & Life Sciences - Guy's Campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 6 Mar '19
  • King's College London
    Postgraduate Taught Courses - Arts & Sciences - Strand Campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 20 Mar '19

Do you have a food intolerance or allergy?

Yes - a food intolerance (92)
14.94%
Yes - a food allergy (64)
10.39%
Yes - an autoimmune disorder (i.e coeliac, colitis) (15)
2.44%
Yes - I have an intolerance and allergy (16)
2.6%
No (429)
69.64%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed