barbiecuedoll
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Hi everyone, so I am in the midsts of applying for uni and I need advice on which uni I should choose. I plan on studying Law, my uni of choice are Leeds, Bristol and Oxford Brookes. The thing is, I know Oxford Brookes is not as great of a Uni as Leeds or Bristol but it's closer to London (basically the middle). I do not mind Leeds or Bristol but how great is the teaching there? Is it worth my time, money and journey up there? I don't mind Oxford Brookes as well, I've heard that the Law programme there is not bad but I just want to know, why do people choose Brookes for Law?

Based on the uni and campus life, I really like all of it, so it's just down to the teaching and end degree.

Thanks
maria9955
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
the teaching at leeds and bristol is both much, much better than oxford brookes. bristol's under 2 hours away it's really not that bad and it's a prestigious uni.
Jack.Senior
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by jones14)
Could not disagree more with saying its ‘much much better than oxford brookes. Bristol is a great university but i will have to disagree with leeds, and as a place it is not great. Oxford b will be the best option for law because of the connections and relationship they have with firms in london and magic circle solicitor firms. Bristol is also great. Leeds is a no. (I have visited all of the unis and i have a friends in both oxford b and bristol)
Whats wrong with leeds?
Notoriety
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Could not disagree more with saying its ‘much much better than oxford brookes. Bristol is a great university but i will have to disagree with leeds, and as a place it is not great. Oxford b will be the best option for law because of the connections and relationship they have with firms in london and magic circle solicitor firms. Bristol is also great. Leeds is a no. (I have visited all of the unis and i have a friends in both oxford b and bristol)
Leeds has far greater connections to firms than Oxford Brookes. They're not really in the same ball park. You're talking a load of bull.

In terms of academics, which you seem to be talking about in your second post, Leeds is simply far superior.
gelli0tt
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Do you study there.
As i seem to think you have no knowledge of their connections. Have you even been there? personally the city is.. not very nice to say the least.
But again, choosing an university is a personal choice. Just go to leeds. Bristol is the best of the list but oxford b is also great.
I go to Uni of Leeds. I absolutely love the uni, the city, and my life there in general. What on earth do you know about Leeds?
The city is like a mini London. Some big old buildings, some new ones, busy shopping centre, bars and pubs, many different clubs to cater for different experiences. The university's buildings are beautiful, the people are lovely, the tutors are considerate... you have no idea what you're talking about.

OP, go for Bristol or Leeds. I looked at both as well. I chose Leeds because the university itself is a campus (with accommodations both on campus and further away) whereas Bristol all the academic buildings are spread around the city (I believe). Both are great unis, I have friends at Bristol too. They are similarly 'party' unis, lively, fun, people that like going out. It's an exciting city (but also if clubbing isn't your thing there is plenty else to do).

I'd say visit them all - when you visit them, you might just "know" which one is for you. I felt like Leeds could be my home, and I was right! Your gut instinct is very important. Follow it. X
Notoriety
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by gelli0tt)
I go to Uni of Leeds. I absolutely love the uni, the city, and my life there in general. What on earth do you know about Leeds?
The city is like a mini London. Some big old buildings, some new ones, busy shopping centre, bars and pubs, many different clubs to cater for different experiences. The university's buildings are beautiful, the people are lovely, the tutors are considerate... you have no idea what you're talking about.

OP, go for Bristol or Leeds. I looked at both as well. I chose Leeds because the university itself is a campus (with accommodations both on campus and further away) whereas Bristol all the academic buildings are spread around the city (I believe). Both are great unis, I have friends at Bristol too. They are similarly 'party' unis, lively, fun, people that like going out. It's an exciting city (but also if clubbing isn't your thing there is plenty else to do).

I'd say visit them all - when you visit them, you might just "know" which one is for you. I felt like Leeds could be my home, and I was right! Your gut instinct is very important. Follow it. X
They deleted their post, as they no doubt realised how wrong they were.

Not before they got in the charge that I am the one doesn't know about what they're talking about.
jones14
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
No, i stand by what i say and have seen the places myself and talked to the staff there.
It my opinion in which im sharing and stating what i found.
Which is still bristol/ox/leeds.
I deleted it because not really up for a debate or argument about what uni is best etc. Googling ‘top uni’ etc isn’t research.
Go there, talk to people, find our their relationships with brands/companies.
Then make your personal decision on what you think is best for you
Have a great day
Anonymous #1
Report 10 months ago
Not sure if I will get a response but I really need help choosing between Bristol and Leeds. I am really sceptical about going to Bristol but I didn’t get the chance to fully see the Leeds campus, I only saw bits of it and with the recent out break, I doubt I’ll be able to go. I am worried in terms of job prospects and how I’ll fit it do any help would be appreciated
Chrisj19
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
Having studied at leeds (engineering, 2011-14) with my wife (Bio-med), now lived in Bristol for nearly 5 years while she has studied Medicine, I'd still choose Leeds for anything other than Medicine. As others have suggested, Bristol is good for night-life etc. (not as good as Leeds IMO) plenty to see and do,(arguably more than Leeds) has historic connections to firms in London, but the law students i've known have been much happier with the teaching, facilities and support at Leeds, all graduating well and immediately going in to work. look at the following for the latest student reviews of the unis (Leeds 8.1, Birstol 7.3): the Law building in Leeds is relatively new, compared to Bristol's historic building, personal preference for me is the newer facilities, purpose built.added to the fact Bristol will leave you tight as anything on an independent student budget, while you can live comfortably in Leeds, hence we're moving back to Yorkshire this Summer to finally save some money.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (300)
55.66%
I don't have everything I need (239)
44.34%

Watched Threads