The Student Room Group

Muslim converts to Unitarianism

Are there any Muslims who have converted to Unitarianism here, or does anybody know anybody who has?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by .Rayman
No. Because it makes no sense. Both creeds believe in only one god anyway. So what is the point. It's just a change of name to make you sound edgy and ish.

I think they want to be a monotheist christian which is pretty close to being a Muslim lol.
Reply 2
Original post by FailedMyMocks
I think they want to be a monotheist christian which is pretty close to being a Muslim lol.

Are you stupid?
Original post by .Rayman
Are you stupid?

I can be.
Reply 4
The theoretical aspects of a religion are one matter but the practices and cultural issues connected with a religion are another matter.

For example, Islam upholds gender segregation but Unitarianism believes in free mixing between men and women. Islam (in Britain) is very much a religion of ethnic immigrants that holds little appeal to white indigenous folk whereas Unitarianism is very much dominated by white British people.
Original post by Arran90
The theoretical aspects of a religion are one matter but the practices and cultural issues connected with a religion are another matter.

For example, Islam upholds gender segregation but Unitarianism believes in free mixing between men and women. Islam (in Britain) is very much a religion of ethnic immigrants that holds little appeal to white indigenous folk whereas Unitarianism is very much dominated by white British people.

I would disagree - for the truth-seeker, the practices of segregation etc are not off-putting since practices are contingent upon the beliefs, like the branches come from the trunk, and truth-seekers reading into the religion care more about the beliefs (trunk) since it is the basis for everything else; perhaps it holds less appeal for the average person who doesn't care about religion. In any case, there are around 100,000 converts in the UK.

Do Unitarians not uphold the laws (or at the very least the morals) of the OT?
Reply 6
Original post by Arran90
Are there any Muslims who have converted to Unitarianism here, or does anybody know anybody who has?
If there are any, they've only done half a job. They might as well have become LDSs or JWs.

@FailedMyMocks Christianity is entirely monotheistic. Our creed opens with "I believe in one God" and everything.

Unitarianism is an affront to true Chiristianity. Denying the trinity is heretical and a magnificent blasphemy.
Original post by Tootles
If there are any, they've only done half a job. They might as well have become LDSs or JWs.

@FailedMyMocks Christianity is entirely monotheistic. Our creed opens with "I believe in one God" and everything.

Unitarianism is an affront to true Chiristianity. Denying the trinity is heretical and a magnificent blasphemy.

The three in one thing doesn't sound entirely monotheistic. According to Islam it isn't what Isa (Jesus) taught. Unitarianism from the Islamic perspective is likely closer to the true teachings of Jesus.
Reply 8
I don't .but did you convert?
Reply 9
The three in one thing doesn't sound entirely monotheistic. According to Islam it isn't what Isa (Jesus) taught. Unitarianism from the Islamic perspective is likely closer to the true teachings of Jesus.
God can't have three aspects? We all show different parts of ourselves when we are in different places.

Also "Isa" isn't "Jesus" in Arabic - that's "Yasue". Islam claims to be the correct continuation of Christ's teaching, but they can't even get his name right - it's not like there's a linguistic gulf between Aramaic and Arabic like there is between Aramaic and Modern English.

Muslims can't comment on the true teachings of Jesus, anyway. They don't have the Gospel that was recorded by his followers, so they don't know them. The teaching of Christ was that God will forgive if you accept him; that genuine love is more important than following laws to the letter. It ends the importance of Shabbat and of the dietary laws, and knocks the so-called "pious" off their pedestals in favour of the ones with genuine love for God and man.

I'm happy for any Muslim who rejects their false prophet and leaves that religion, but it would be better for them to be faithless than follow Unitarian theology.
Original post by Tootles
God can't have three aspects? We all show different parts of ourselves when we are in different places.

Also "Isa" isn't "Jesus" in Arabic - that's "Yasue". Islam claims to be the correct continuation of Christ's teaching, but they can't even get his name right - it's not like there's a linguistic gulf between Aramaic and Arabic like there is between Aramaic and Modern English.

Muslims can't comment on the true teachings of Jesus, anyway. They don't have the Gospel that was recorded by his followers, so they don't know them. The teaching of Christ was that God will forgive if you accept him; that genuine love is more important than following laws to the letter. It ends the importance of Shabbat and of the dietary laws, and knocks the so-called "pious" off their pedestals in favour of the ones with genuine love for God and man.

I'm happy for any Muslim who rejects their false prophet and leaves that religion, but it would be better for them to be faithless than follow Unitarian theology.

God isn't man? So you're analogy doesn't hold true.

So God can split apart from his essence and be three distinct things and all are God?
if god split his essence into three distinct why did he harm himself how could he save when he harmed himself?
god is one and and one. he sent upon human prophets so he could guide them and stop them from entering hell fire he made in every thing a miracle fom how the mechanism inside your body works.
God isn't man? So you're analogy doesn't hold true.

So God can split apart from his essence and be three distinct things and all are God?
God can inhabit a man, live inside him, share the same essense, the same soul. Fully God and fully man.

Consider, Christ used some curious wording on one specific occasion - John 8:58: before Abraham ever was, I am. That wording, "I am", harkens back to Exodus 3:14: I am he who is ... I am has sent me to you. God reveals his name to be "I AM". I am - the basis for the Divine Name YHWH. In that claim in John's record of the Gospel, Christ directly identifies himself as "I am". That means he is either a god, or an aspect of the God. Since we are monotheistic, he must be the God, or a part thereof.

God doesn't split himself - he's not Voldemort, he doesn't make horcruxes. He simply shows himself to us through three persons: the Father, who is the creator of all things, the authority to which all things owe their fealty, who is outside of human understanding; the Son, who is the face God presents to us, who came into Earth to walk with us and to bear the punishment for our sins; and the Holy Spirit, who dwells imperceptibly within us, comforts us, and drives us to be better people and better Christians. All three coexist, coeternal and consubstantial. Ever one God, world without end.

My analogy was that you, in three different situations, will present three basic personalities. You'll show each of those three situations' relevant people (say, your parents, your children, your partner) what is appropriate to them. You wouldn't talk about philosophy with your children, you wouldn't talk about sex with your parents (other than clinically, perhaps), but you would talk about everything with your partner.

If you can't understand or accept that core principle of Christian faith, then you can't claim to be a Christian.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by Tootles

Original post by Tootles

My goodness this thread has found you/got you in a very bad temper.
Going down the medieval theocratic road of one true religion- all else is vile heresy... Oh the evil unspeakable blasphemies created by the devil to be disseminated by his false prophets.

You are starting to sound like my grandmother on one of her more reserved days- she's an 80 year old religious fanatic who hates the modern world, loves the medieval church and adores the most violently unhinged of medieval popes.
Original post by londonmyst
My goodness this thread has found you/got you in a very bad temper.
Going down the medieval theocratic road of one true religion- all else is vile heresy... Oh the evil unspeakable blasphemies created by the devil to be disseminated by his false prophets.

You are starting to sound like my grandmother on one of her more reserved days- she's an 80 year old religious fanatic who hates the modern world, loves the medieval church and adores the most violently unhinged of medieval popes.
I'm not being bad-tempered at all. Actually I'm pretty happy today - I've been productive, got plenty of work done, I feel in good health, and everything. I'm simply being honest and firm about something that has become very softened in modern Christianity. I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me. Christian faith does see itself as the one true faith - with scriptural basis. Anyone who claims otherwise is simply trying not to offend those of other faiths.

Also there were warnings of false prophets given in the New Testament. And yes, I and others have seen a lot of parallels between those and Mohammed. Of all the historic figures that have been identified as being the Antichrist, Mohammed fits that description the best.
(edited 5 years ago)
No.
I know people who joined Unitarianism from the CoE, Catholicism, Jehovah's Witnesses, fundamentalist mormons, messianic jews and wiccans.
Original post by Tootles
I'm not being bad-tempered at all. Actually I'm pretty happy today - I've been productive, got plenty of work done, I feel in good health, and everything. I'm simply being honest and firm about something that has become very softened in modern Christianity. I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me. Christian faith does see itself as the one true faith - with scriptural basis. Anyone who claims otherwise is simply trying not to offend those of other faiths.

Also there were warnings of false prophets given in the New Testament. And yes, I and others have seen a lot of parallels between those and Mohammed. Of all the historic figures that have been identified as being the Antichrist, Mohammed fits that description the best.

Sounds like you are a scriptural literalist committed to biblical infallibility.
Too fundamentalist an interpretation for my taste, although I do have a few fundamentalist christian friends.
I agree with vatican ii, believe in religious pluralism and don't sit in judgement on anybody.
Offending other people doesn't even enter into the equation.

I don't believe the antichrist has been born yet.
I'm happy to discuss a few names I think deserving of nomination as close contenders for the title though.
I'd go with Pope Innocent III, Ferdinand II of Aragon, Philip II of Spain, Anton LaVey, David Berg, Jim Jones, David Koresh and Warren Jeffs.
Also Alan John Miller- the scam artist claiming to be Jesus who says his girlfriend is Mary Magdalene and both are accepting donations.
Original post by londonmyst
Sounds like you are a scriptural literalist committed to biblical infallibility.
Too fundamentalist an interpretation for my taste, although I do have a few fundamentalist christian friends.
I agree with vatican ii, believe in religious pluralism and don't sit in judgement on anybody.
Offending other people doesn't even enter into the equation.

I don't believe the antichrist has been born yet.
I'm happy to discuss a few names I think deserving of nomination as close contenders for the title though.
I'd go with Pope Innocent III, Ferdinand II of Aragon, Philip II of Spain, Anton LaVey, David Berg, Jim Jones, David Koresh and Warren Jeffs.
Also Alan John Miller- the scam artist claiming to be Jesus who says his girlfriend is Mary Magdalene and both are accepting donations.
I wouldn't call myself a literalist. I see much of scripture as a parable, constructed such that we humans - in our nature fallible, and unable to grasp certain concepts - can have a hope of beginning to understand the ineffable truth of who God is. Some interpretations might change, some allegories might become obsolete; some laws that have been fulfilled no longer need to be observed by us, because the Law was fulfilled by Christ. But there are some things that must remain absolute and eternal. One God. One way, truth, and light. One Father, Son, and Holy Spirit. Those are immutable. Any contradiction to that - the word of Christ himself, in the Gospel, and of God in Torah - is heretical.

I get what you mean about those other people. Maybe there isn't a single Antichrist, but that there is - say - one in each generation. But the ways in which Mohammed corrupted the Christian message and used that as the foundation of Islam make him a clear A-lister.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 19
I know a Buddhist that got into this. I don't see the draw, personally.

Quick Reply