Engineering alternative course Uni of Bristol Watch

D7E
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
#1
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
#1
So I applied to the university of Bristol Mechanical Engineering course, and I was really hoping to get an offer from them and probably firm choice it but I was put on hold "due to amount of applications" and a week ago they emailed me saying they cannot give me a place on the course but they want to give me a chance to apply to either:

Civil Engineering
Electronic and electrical engineering
Engineering mathematics

The thing is I really wanted mechanical engineering based on the modules you do.

I also applied for
Aeronautics/aeronautics at southampton
Mechanical at Warwick
Mechanical at UCL

And only been given an offer from southampton so far, no other replies.

Anyways what do you reckon I should do?

Do you think there is any chance there'll be clearing for mech eng Boston on results day?

Should I send them an alternative course thing in the mean time?

Which alternative course do you reckon would fit?

If you ask for an alternative course, can you still decline the course after you have all your offers?

Is there anything legally binding when asking for alternative courses, like what happens with ucas?

Bristols a good place, even if they haven't offered me my course I still want to leave as many doors open for when deciding, so if you were in my situation what would you do?

Thanks!
0
reply
Lacrosse_Baz
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
#2
Report 4 weeks ago
#2
If Mechanical Engineering is what you want to study (I applied too), then just stick with MechEng, Uni of Warwick & UCL are top notch unis too.
I applied to Bristol (Uncon) Warwick (Waiting), Nottingham (Uncon), Edinburgh (Offer) and Liverpool (Uncon).

Generally speaking, Mechanical Engineering/ Engineering, in general, is always on clearing (Apart from Oxbridge, Imperial, UCL, Durham), but you will still need to get decent grades.

If you ask for an alternative course, can you still decline the course after you have all your offers?
YES

Is there anything legally binding when asking for alternative courses, like what happens with ucas?
I believe that Bristol will change the course you have entered for to (whatever) and it will update on Track.
0
reply
D7E
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
#3
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
#3
(Original post by Lacrosse_Baz)
If Mechanical Engineering is what you want to study (I applied too), then just stick with MechEng, Uni of Warwick & UCL are top notch unis too.
I applied to Bristol (Uncon) Warwick (Waiting), Nottingham (Uncon), Edinburgh (Offer) and Liverpool (Uncon).

Generally speaking, Mechanical Engineering/ Engineering, in general, is always on clearing (Apart from Oxbridge, Imperial, UCL, Durham), but you will still need to get decent grades.

If you ask for an alternative course, can you still decline the course after you have all your offers?
YES

Is there anything legally binding when asking for alternative courses, like what happens with ucas?
I believe that Bristol will change the course you have entered for to (whatever) and it will update on Track.
That's providing I get offers from ucl and warwick. As it stands I only have southampton and semi bristol. If I had offers from just those 2 I would pick bristol in a heartbeat but bristols got other plans apparently.

Right you say engineering/mechanical engineering is somewhat always in clearing, providing you get the grades. So that leads me to believe I have a shot of Bristol come results day.

Now my question is: if I was to pick one of the 3 alternative course and they changed that on my ucas and I was to either accept or decline them, if on results day I call up and they have space on mech eng, will the fact that I asked for an alternative course mean that I will not be able to get into bristol for clearing?

Let me give you the scenario:

1)i've got one offer from southampton, and an alternative course from bristol, I put one as firm (southampton) and bristol as insurance. On results day I get into southampton but go for adjustment and bristol mech eng has spaces, will the fact I have bristol as an insurance influence that?

2) 2nd scenario bristol is still insurance choice but I don't get into southampton, so bristol accepts me. Again, bristol has spaces open for mecheng, does the fact I am now supposed to be going to Bristol change clearing or adjustment into bristol but for another course?

3) I have a change of mind and put the bristol alternative course as my firm choice does that again stop mechanical eng clearing for bristol?

4) I don't pick an alternative choice, I don't have an offer and just wait for clearing instead to try my luck.

What would you do in these scenarios?

Thanks!
0
reply
Lacrosse_Baz
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
#4
Report 4 weeks ago
#4
(Original post by D7E)

Now my question is: if I was to pick one of the 3 alternative course and they changed that on my ucas and I was to either accept or decline them, if on results day I call up and they have space on mech eng, will the fact that I asked for an alternative course mean that I will not be able to get into Bristol for clearing?

Thanks!
No, they wouldn't care. Clearing is used by unis to fill their course seats (which essentially means ££ for the Uni). Southampton Uni is also top notch. It's usually compared to unis such as Imperial etc.

Honestly, by the sound of it, you're more into Bristol as a university rather than the course of Mechanical Engineering. I would suggest, waiting until March (Whenever the deadline is) to see if you get offers from Warwick and UCL (Sounds unlikely considering Bristol rejected for Mechanical Engineering) but yeah, Wait and if you get into Warwick or UCL, then Firm & Insurance either UCL/Warwick/Southampton. If Bristol has rejected you once, its probs because they don't think you have the correct qualifications or maybe the course is full. I wouldn't risk losing Warwick, UCL or Southampton come results day, and you can't get into Bristol.
0
reply
tesconyc
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
#5
Report 4 weeks ago
#5
omg same I got offered an alternative course too. I decided to go with civil. still waiting
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
0
reply
harrysbar
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
#6
Report 4 weeks ago
#6
(Original post by D7E)
So I applied to the university of Bristol Mechanical Engineering course, and I was really hoping to get an offer from them and probably firm choice it but I was put on hold "due to amount of applications" and a week ago they emailed me saying they cannot give me a place on the course but they want to give me a chance to apply to either:

Civil Engineering
Electronic and electrical engineering
Engineering mathematics

The thing is I really wanted mechanical engineering based on the modules you do.

I also applied for
Aeronautics/aeronautics at southampton
Mechanical at Warwick
Mechanical at UCL

And only been given an offer from southampton so far, no other replies.

Anyways what do you reckon I should do?

Do you think there is any chance there'll be clearing for mech eng Boston on results day?

Should I send them an alternative course thing in the mean time?

Which alternative course do you reckon would fit?

If you ask for an alternative course, can you still decline the course after you have all your offers?

Is there anything legally binding when asking for alternative courses, like what happens with ucas?

Bristols a good place, even if they haven't offered me my course I still want to leave as many doors open for when deciding, so if you were in my situation what would you do?

Thanks!
I would wait and see what the other Unis offer you... there's no hurry to reply to Bristol and if you get offers from UCL and Warwick, that might help your decision.
0
reply
Muttley79
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
#7
Report 4 weeks ago
#7
(Original post by D7E)
So I applied to the university of Bristol Mechanical Engineering course, and I was really hoping to get an offer from them and probably firm choice it but I was put on hold "due to amount of applications" and a week ago they emailed me saying they cannot give me a place on the course but they want to give me a chance to apply to either:

Bristols a good place, even if they haven't offered me my course I still want to leave as many doors open for when deciding, so if you were in my situation what would you do?

Thanks!
I'd take Southampton for Mech Eng - it's a better course anyway.
0
reply
D7E
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
#8
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
#8
(Original post by tesconyc)
omg same I got offered an alternative course too. I decided to go with civil. still waiting
Are you doing it as a backup and to have an offer or because you actually want to do civil? I want to apply to an alternative course too as having an offer (despite being another course) at a reputable university is still better than outright not having an offer right?

Unless it messes with the clearing side if you want to go through clearing for mech eng at bristol but already have an alternative course down as one of your choices. It's this that I'm worried about.
0
reply
tesconyc
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
#9
Report 4 weeks ago
#9
(Original post by D7E)
Are you doing it as a backup and to have an offer or because you actually want to do civil? I want to apply to an alternative course too as having an offer (despite being another course) at a reputable university is still better than outright not having an offer right?

Unless it messes with the clearing side if you want to go through clearing for mech eng at bristol but already have an alternative course down as one of your choices. It's this that I'm worried about.
I have offers for Nottingham and warwick. I'm considering civil engineering but I'm still not sure. I'll do more research once Loughborough and Bristol replies. I want to visit them too.

Bristol is double the distance of my other unis so but they are like really really good. I don't want to go through clearing
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Last edited by tesconyc; 4 weeks ago
0
reply
chdinmao
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
#10
Report 2 weeks ago
#10
(Original post by D7E)
So I applied to the university of Bristol Mechanical Engineering course, and I was really hoping to get an offer from them and probably firm choice it but I was put on hold "due to amount of applications" and a week ago they emailed me saying they cannot give me a place on the course but they want to give me a chance to apply to either:

Civil Engineering
Electronic and electrical engineering
Engineering mathematics

The thing is I really wanted mechanical engineering based on the modules you do.

I also applied for
Aeronautics/aeronautics at southampton
Mechanical at Warwick
Mechanical at UCL

And only been given an offer from southampton so far, no other replies.

Anyways what do you reckon I should do?

Do you think there is any chance there'll be clearing for mech eng Boston on results day?

Should I send them an alternative course thing in the mean time?

Which alternative course do you reckon would fit?

If you ask for an alternative course, can you still decline the course after you have all your offers?

Is there anything legally binding when asking for alternative courses, like what happens with ucas?

Bristols a good place, even if they haven't offered me my course I still want to leave as many doors open for when deciding, so if you were in my situation what would you do?

Thanks!
What exactly do you like about Bristol's Mechanical Engineering Modules?
0
reply
TomBomo
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
#11
Report 2 weeks ago
#11
Well you could choose the closest thing to Mech Eng and then just switch courses

For prospects the best is Electrical/Electronic Eng, then Mech Eng, then Aero. There are very limited Aero Eng jobs available.
0
reply
D7E
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
#12
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
#12
(Original post by TomBomo)
Well you could choose the closest thing to Mech Eng and then just switch courses

For prospects the best is Electrical/Electronic Eng, then Mech Eng, then Aero. There are very limited Aero Eng jobs available.
If it was just prospect I would pick electrical any day, but it's about what you see yourself doing for 4 years, and to be honest I would hate to do electronics for 4 years (I hated doing it for an a level term let alone 4 years).

I might still have a chance at bristol though, a guy I emailed said to contact them February and check for "mechanical and electrical engineering" course availability. The thing that's weird about that course is that a) it has lower entry grades than just mechanical/electrical and b) it gives you the option to switch to just mechanical after the first year... Check the website for the course.

Sounds so shady and why did the guy tell me to wait for February to ask and not just check when I emailed him...
0
reply
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Reply
new posts
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

  • University of Bristol
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 14 Jun '19
  • University of Bristol
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 15 Jun '19
  • University of Bristol
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 7 Sep '19

Do you give blood?

Yes (46)
9.24%
I used to but I don't now (14)
2.81%
No, but I want to start (177)
35.54%
No, I am unable to (117)
23.49%
No, I chose not to (144)
28.92%

Watched Threads

View All